Could I get advice from Explorer owners? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Could I get advice from Explorer owners?

Ecoboost 2.0 is pointless in the Explorer, I know two owners now and both totally regret it. In real world driving it does not get the numbers difference it shows on paper, they avg no better then the regular V6, and when one had his in the shop they gave him a loaner V6 and he actually avg about the same on fuel with his daily commute, talk about being pissed about paying more for an engine that's no better on gas. And it feels like a dog, if your just driving by yourself, it's barely adequate, load it down with people and it's a slug and mileage drops as it's always in boost working hard. yeh you'll get decent mileage if you drive with an egg under your foot and cruise at 50 mph on the highway but who does that lol. Can find post after post after post on here of Ecoboost 4 owners posting worse/similar mileage as the V6 peeps. One of the guys I know works in Miami and some other co-workers have Explorers and some asked how much better on gas it was etc, when he told them what he get's, they were basically like that was either worse or same lol. he averages 20.5 in his Explorer, and avg 20 in the loaner V6, same commute. And this is flat FL, we don't have any hills or mountains, and at sea level.

We have the same engine in our Fusion SE and it's awesome, we actually avg 1 mpg better then the rating and thats with heavy traffic and city (gotta love miami cluster f' lol). And it does great in the Edge as well when we drove it. But the Ex is too heavy for it. Before we got the Fusion we drove the Ex and Edge as they were the only ones with that engine out, Explorer felt like a complete slug with the 3 of us, yeh it can keep up with traffic etc, but the v6 does it way more relaxed and doesn't feel like it's struggling.

It's always going to be in boost more and people will drive with a heavier foot then the other models this engine is in b/c of the weight, here's what one of the reviews said and others have said similar:
"The problem with the EcoBoost in the Explorer is that a lot of drivers will in fact be keeping it floored a lot of the time. While we like this engine in Ford's smaller Edge crossover, we're less enamored in the Explorer. The Explorer is larger, punching a much bigger hole through the air than the Edge, and about 500 pounds heavier. The 2.0 EcoBoost will get and keep the Explorer rolling in satisfactory fashion, to be sure, but for a lot of drivers that will mean a fairly constant, heavy foot on the gas pedal, and that could obviate the purported fuel savings. Moreover, the 2.0 EcoBoost often seems like it's working really hard in the Explorer, with a lot of sound and fury to minimal effect.

BLUESURF: I have not changed my opinion, based on ownership, from my above opinion...best regards Plum

Back