• Register Today It's free!

Courtesy Lamp Disable

VCFP153

Reaction score
City, State
Ormond Beach FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 PIU
Here comes my first question as a new PIU owner. My 2017's price sticker mentions a $20 option of "Courtesy Lamp Disable". What is that exactly and why don't I see on the option list on the 2017 brochure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's basically the dark car/silent car feature.
Interesting, I was wondering if since it only mentions "courtesy lamp" if that was the ONLY thing disabled - i.e. parking lights / tail lights still function for welcome / farewell.

@VCFP153 - Here's an example of both behaviors toggled via IPC:
youtube.com/watch?v=gPl1L4TpQrg#t=1m26s

Interesting, I was wondering if since it only mentions "courtesy lamp" if that was the ONLY thing disabled - i.e. parking lights / tail lights still function for welcome / farewell.

@VCFP153 - Here's an example of both behaviors toggled via IPC:
youtube.com/watch?v=gPl1L4TpQrg#t=1m26s
My 16 had that same feature and it was full dark car - no lights in or out. I added the IPC toggle to turn it on/off.

What I'm not real clear on is what "courtesy lights" actually are. My truck also has remote entry, and when I UNlock it, the parking lights and taillights come on, the headlights do not. This also happens when I open the door to get out. When I lock it, lights go out, and it does NOT honk. So, I guess what I'm asking is which part of that is the courtesy lights? My truck does NOT have the Dark Car option.

If your interior OEM dome lights come on when you open the door that means the dark car option/courtesy light disable was disabled after it was built. Does the dome light come on and I am not talking about the large round red/white dome light?

My 16 with the courtesy light disable option from the factory did not have any interior map lights or exterior lights come on and had no horn honk. I changed both with Forscan.

Courtesy lights should refer to interior map lights and rear cargo light not the large red/white domes that are switched manually.

My 16 with the courtesy light disable option from the factory did not have any interior map lights or exterior lights come on and had no horn honk. I changed both with Forscan.

Courtesy lights should refer to interior map lights and rear cargo light not the large red/white domes that are switched manually.

Hmmm...the plot thickens...my interior lights most definitely DO come on. Well, let me clarify that, they come on when I actually open the door, not when I just unlock it. Is that normal? Not that I care, I'm not in law enforcement, so I don't do stakeouts, I'm just curious about how it's actually supposed to work.

So, I guess what I'm asking is which part of that is the courtesy lights?
Well, you have a great point. I was making an inference that the temporary function of the interior lamps is what is called "courtesy light". That is to say that there isn't a dedicated bulb that is called the courtesy lamp, but when the interior lamps come on for the purpose of welcome / farewell, that is the "courtesy light". I could be mistaken on the use of the term.

Hmmm...the plot thickens...my interior lights most definitely DO come on. Well, let me clarify that, they come on when I actually open the door, not when I just unlock it.

This is VERY interesting, and seems to confirm what I suspected. I did some testing with:
a) Only IPC Silent Mode ON
b) Only BCM 726-32-01 Silent Mode ON
c) Both on
d) Both off

... yeah, kinda nerding out over this :) ...

In cases A, B, and C:
unlock via key fob = NO interior nor exterior lamps
open door = NO interior nor exterior lamps

In case D:
unlock via key fob = YES interior and YES exterior lamps
open door = YES interior and YES exterior lamps

You seem to have something different;
open door = YES interior and ??? exterior lamps

The other thing I found out is that case B (and C) allows you to dim the instrument cluster to the point where it is completely off, as long as the headlight switch is in the off position. Case A does not allow this.

You seem to have something different;
open door = YES interior and ??? exterior lamps

Actually, it appears now that in both cases (door and fob), both interior and exterior lights come on. So, it seems my courtesy lamps are NOT disabled.

Here comes my first question as a new PIU owner. My 2017's price sticker mentions a $20 option of "Courtesy Lamp Disable". What is that exactly and why don't I see on the option list on the 2017 brochure?
It’s called “Dark Mode” or Stealth Mode, and it is a feature only a dealer can enable with their IDS software and hardware. I sorely needed this turned on in my interceptor as I use mine for astrophotography and other night time photo imaging projects. I am constantly in very dark and remote locations with my car running all night using the extra power to charge batteries and run my gear and heaters etc. so having the lights come on every time I opened the door was very problematic.
“Dark Mode” prevents cabin lights or any sounds activating when the car is running and the door opens, and I believe you can completely dim the dash and console lights with the car running.
I ended up taping over to taking out the bulbs to the cabin lights, except for the dome lights, obviously since they are switchable independently of everything else. $20 is a good deal if a dealer will actually do that for you.the directions to enable it are even in your owner’s manual!

It’s called “Dark Mode” or Stealth Mode, and it is a feature only a dealer can enable with their IDS software and hardware. I sorely needed this turned on in my interceptor as I use mine for astrophotography and other night time photo imaging projects. I am constantly in very dark and remote locations with my car running all night using the extra power to charge batteries and run my gear and heaters etc. so having the lights come on every time I opened the door was very problematic.
“Dark Mode” prevents cabin lights or any sounds activating when the car is running and the door opens, and I believe you can completely dim the dash and console lights with the car running.
I ended up taping over to taking out the bulbs to the cabin lights, except for the dome lights, obviously since they are switchable independently of everything else. $20 is a good deal if a dealer will actually do that for you.the directions to enable it are even in your owner’s manual!
It can be enabled with a $20 USB OBD dongle and Forscan - does NOT require a dealer.

If you have a 16+ PIU, you can also activate the IPC menu so you can toggle it on and off as needed.

Back