Cruise Control LED Conversion (Pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control LED Conversion (Pics)

To start you need to pull the negative terminal on the battery and wait at least 35 minutes, since you will be removing the air bag to do this.

Pull the plastic caps on the side of the steering wheel and remove both 6 mm bolts that hold the airbag in.

Remove the airbag slowly and disconnect the wire

Then unscrew the 4 screws that hold on both sets of cruise controls

Take the units apart gently and try not to break the plastic clips that hold the unit together. ( I broke all four of them, not a big deal just use hot glue when closing them back up.

Remove the bulb from the board, Then crush the glass to remove the green bulb jack that you will need to save. Drill out the remaining glass until you are down to the blue plastic.
IMG_0032.jpg

Then take a smaller drill and drill through the bulb holder (5mm White LED on the left)
IMG_0036.jpg

Use some hot glue to hold the LED in place, you will also need to either block off the light from the bottom of the LED or use green film, and put green cap on the LED
IMG_0042-1.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Solder on a resistor to the + side of the LED and a wire to the -
You will also need to file a notch into the circuit board to allow the wires to get through
IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045-1.jpg

Splice into the 2nd wire up from the bottom on the harness on the ON OFF switch this is the + lead
(FYI: The third down from the top is for the horn, I had to go inside and change my shorts after I touched that lead with the multimeter, almost had a stroke at the same time):eek:
IMG_0049.jpg

Run the grounds to the top screw of each switch
Also You can see the holes that you have to drill in the side of each switch to get the wires out
IMG_0050-1.jpg

And the final result
IMG_0054-1.jpg

-Good Luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good man...I gotta change mine red, but first I wanna do the gauge cluster, and I've heard that's a nightmare. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good man...I gotta change mine red, but first I wanna do the gauge cluster, and I've heard that's a nightmare. :(

Thanks. I am going to be changing the LEDs inside the gauge cluster, The plug and play LEDs that I got for some odd reason are starting to blow. Each one has 5 LEDs on it and some have 2 or even 3 LEDs blown, and the cluster isnt lighting up evenly anymore. I am going to do a more through writeup on how to change the cluster over to LEDs since it seems a lot of people have questions about doing it. Its not that hard, but doing it the first time is a PITA since there is so much to do to get to the cluster.

And parad1mg that looks very slick. Nice work.

That would be a big help. I probably will leave the bulbs and just scrape off the green and make everything red and the warning lights clear, but a very detailed step-by-step on how to break into the cluster would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Any updates to this?

you can just use the stock + and - hookups on the board. IMO it was easier. I used a ranger forum to do this mod and it turned out great. I also put in 2 LED's.

i too used the cantacts that existed and came out great

What was the rating of the resistor used?

you can just use the stock + and - hookups on the board. IMO it was easier. I used a ranger forum to do this mod and it turned out great. I also put in 2 LED's.
Do you have pics of your mod? Did you use the contact areas on the board where the bulb socket was originally powered? If not where did you get the power and ground? Did you use resistors with this method?

i have a question, why i have to put a resistor?
and why i have to connect the led to the main cable?
what if i connectoed the led to the chasis like the original lamp

I spent all morning doin this conversion. I had recently done the wiper switches and dash guage LED conversions, so to match the white LEDs elsewhere, I wanted these to be white too. I tried doing just the single LED in the blue bulb holder like explained in the first post, but because it gave it a green tint and was rather weak, I decided to do it alittle bit differently.

I angled the LEDs up toward the illuminated parts of the button and used seperate LEDs for each one. (i.e. 2 LEDs in the ON/OFF side and 3 LEDs on the other side)

I used hot glue to keep them in place and then soldered them all together. They seem to be pretty bright but its only daytime right now. Heres some pictures:

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

i just got my truck 2 days ago, already have a list a mile long of stuff i want to do to it. i gotta stop looking around at this website!

I spent all morning doin this conversion. I had recently done the wiper switches and dash guage LED conversions, so to match the white LEDs elsewhere, I wanted these to be white too. I tried doing just the single LED in the blue bulb holder like explained in the first post, but because it gave it a green tint and was rather weak, I decided to do it alittle bit differently.

I angled the LEDs up toward the illuminated parts of the button and used seperate LEDs for each one. (i.e. 2 LEDs in the ON/OFF side and 3 LEDs on the other side)

I used hot glue to keep them in place and then soldered them all together. They seem to be pretty bright but its only daytime right now. Heres some pictures:

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

Looks great! I did something similar to mine and it made a world of difference.

Back