How to: - D35 C-clip Eliminator, Made Easy | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: D35 C-clip Eliminator, Made Easy

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Overlap is fine. All you really care about is you don't want the collar to move. Mine doesn't fit "Into" the groove either and has never moved.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..So...Did you get to try this out last week Greg?..:popcorn:

..So...Did you get to try this out last week Greg?..:popcorn:

I did! :)

Wheeled it up some level 3's at the park, and used it in the race events we had. I didn't lose a wheel, so I guess it worked...LOL

I do have a funky "Knocking" noise in the front after those events tho. I searched and searched everything to find the cause, and came up empty. :scratch:

I am thinking it might be the eliminator as I can't think of anything else. I need to tear into it to see. :rolleyes:

..The knocking is only while in 4WD?

Nope, happens in any range. Hard to explain, but it mainly happens on take off, when turning the wheels (like maneuvering into a parking spot), and when coming to a stop. I can feel it in the front end.

Checked the U-joints, brakes, TTB pivots, Both R/A ends, trans mount, engine mounts, sway bar ends, TRE's, hubs, drive shafts, rear axle U-bolts, and found the front top shock mount bushings to be worn, replaced those with new red urethane ones. Still clunks. :dunno:

..Then it won't be anything involving the c-clip eliminator..;)

..Curious if you found out what your issue was..:popcorn:

..I'm going to pick up a couple sets of the springs and 2 piece collars I ordered that will be here this weekend...If anyone can't find the springs and collars who are wanting to do this mod hit me up...;)

..Glad to hear it was a common, cheap and easy fix..:biggthump

So... Been some time since I did this and a bunch of miles later, the spring I used has un-sprung. I found the Echo spring online at Small Engine Warehouse for $2.10 ea. They even take PayPal. I got 2 of them for that price, just to have a spare in the bin. :)

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/EC-69621655730.html

Hope to get a nice warm weekend day to install it soon.

Was the original spring you used an echo spring?

Was the original spring you used an echo spring?

Honestly, I don't know. Another member here got it for me, as they were doing it also, and ordered a 2nd spring.

I found the picture I took of it on the axle, before install into the pumpkin.

Looks like it is too short to begin with, and I just never noticed the in/out clunk noise until swapping to quieter tires. :scratch:

puglyscclipeliminatorkit.jpg

Has anyone used this mod on a truck that has long travel and is airborne on occasion? I have 4.5" beams on my Ranger. Wondering if the spring will need to be stiffer/longer in order to work...

..Sounds like it will be trial and error as you are wanting to add a stock modification to something already modified but..

..It should work the same..:dunno:

..Sounds like it will be trial and error as you are wanting to add a stock modification to something already modified but..

..It should work the same..:dunno:

Gotcha. I'm thinking about a small bracket welded to the back of the beam (between the diff and the inner joint) that would capture a split collar like yours. The collar would rub against bracket but you wouldn't be relying on a spring to keep the inner axle in... Could add some urethane washers for the collar to rub against.

G.

One sided but could have two brackets, one on both sides of collar...

Attachments

• !cid_100MEDIA$IMAG05121.jpg
    !cid_100MEDIA$IMAG05121.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 311

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to post so late but I have read through a number of threads and can't find the answer I'm looking for. However one of the posts in this thread seemed to indicate that an Aussie locker was installed and still had the c clip. I wanted to verify that it was possible to have an Aussie locker and still utilize the c clip. I understand the benefits of the c clip elimination however I don't have any spare parts to swap out on the trail anywho. I guess I'm nervous about the only thing keeping my axle in place is a weed wacker spring that can get weak over time.

Back