D44/9" Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

D44/9" Swap

I got my donor vehicle home yesterday, It is a 78 f-150 with a 4" lift
I am going to the leave the axles full width. Intially I plan on putting a detroit locker in the 9 with yukon 4.56 gears and the 44 is getting a yukon 4.56's, ARB locker.
The Radius arm brackets from the f-150 will be bolted to explorers frame.
I would like to box and extend the radius arms with a heim joints

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet. :thumbsup: What size tires do you plan to run?

At first I will run the 33's that I have now since they are almost new,unless I come across someone who wants to give me $500 for them, but the future holds 36-38 swamper iroks. A friend on mine has some 39.5 Iroks on his 4runner and I have been impressed with them.

Awesome, sounds like a really nice project :cool:

If you want to lengthen the radius arms, dont bother with the heims because they are not needed. The frame end of the Ford arms are not were the bind is... its at the axle. Do some looking around at wristed arm setups.... easier to make than extended arms, work better, and eat up less ground clearance at the breakover point. Good luck. :thumbsup:

I have been working 48-56 hours a week and when I did have time it was raining side ways. I found documents showing recent brake work done and while inspecting the front end it looks like new rotors, pads and wheel bearings :thumbsup: .
It also looks like I have a buyer for the engine,transmission and transfercase :thumbsup:
The truck has a 4" suspension lift, I have some concerns that the coil springs will be to stiff. I don't know who the manufacture of the lift is, I got a chance last month to weigh my explorer when it was loaded with my normal trail gear and 4 adults = 6,100 pounds so those springs might work.
I have been looking at some 5.5" progressive springs from cage automotive, I can get them $122 shipped so if I need new springs that is probably the route I will go.
It looks like alot of this swap will be bolt on. radius arm brackets, coil buckets and trac bar mount. I may end up buying a adjustable trac bar and some tube and rod ends for the drag link, I haven't measured to see I can make the factory parts work.
These photos show how the 78-79 ford's front suspension looks the oil on the front diff is from the power steering pump.

Attachments

• IM001008.JPG
    IM001008.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 699
  • IM001007.JPG
    IM001007.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 674
  • IM001014.JPG
    IM001014.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 659

more pics

Attachments

• IM001010.JPG
    IM001010.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 665
  • IM001011.JPG
    IM001011.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 663
  • IM001013.JPG
    IM001013.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 665

Wow sweet donor :)

You are psyched! Wanna sell me the rearmost two shock towers?

Signing up for future updates!

Nice project you got going there!

410Fortune said:
Wow sweet donor :)

You are psyched! Wanna sell me the rearmost two shock towers?

I sure will, they bolt on with two bolts, I will get them off sometime this weekend and see how much they weigh, shipping has been running about a $1 a pound.

You are not going to use them? I have been waiting to find those exact towers in the junk yards, but its been snowing for a while now.
Let me know when they are off and how much you want....when I bought my shocks I bought them 4" too long on purpose, for these towers :)

410Fortune said:
You are not going to use them? I have been waiting to find those exact towers in the junk yards, but its been snowing for a while now.
Let me know when they are off and how much you want....when I bought my shocks I bought them 4" too long on purpose, for these towers :)

Most people want the f-250 eye style mount, your are the first person to express interest in the post style.

I sold the motor tranny and TC this weekend so by this weekend coming up I am hoping to have the suspension removed.

In your other thread, you've got your doubler up for sale. Are you keeping it now :thumbsup: or do you need to modify this thread's title? ;)

RangerX said:
In your other thread, you've got your doubler up for sale. Are you keeping it now :thumbsup: or do you need to modify this thread's title? ;)

When I got the doubler I wasn't thinking of a SAS,but now that I am doing the SAS and having to regear the axles I don't really need the doubler but if it does not sell by the time I have to modify the drivelines then I am going to put it in.

hahaha I say use the doubler, it will complete the monster.

yes I want the post style towers, you can use a simple bracket to convert them to the non post style shocks, however by the time I am done with these Rancho 9000s and their lifetime warranty it will be time for a engine cage and coilovers....

I will let you know when I get them off, the weather has been so bad I have been having a hard time getting motivated.
I really need to get my garage built, but I haven't been able to decide on a contractor and even if I did decide they are 2-3 months out :thumbdwn:

I had a kid come up to tonight when I got home from work wanting to know if i wanted to sell my truck, so after I told him the engine, transmision and transfer case was already sold and I was taking all the suspension off and all there would be left is the cab and frame, he still wanted it so I told him I would give it to him if he would haul it off. :D

I don't know what he was thinking, this is not a pretty truck

Attachments

• IM000991.JPG
    IM000991.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 553

Actually, it doesnt look any worse than the 78 model i picked up for parts. Bed rotted out, 4 different wheels/tires, and painted brush on black and white camo and zebra stripes. We've been calling it the Ted Nugent truck. :p I gave it to a friend who (i guess) collects junk since i basically took everything running gear related off of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dreamr said:
How did I miss this thread?
I'm just signing up to watch your project JR.
If you need a hand with anything holler. I'd get a kick out of seeing this process up close before I start on Claytons 4-runner.

That woud be a long drive for you, Once the time changes I just need a couple of nice evening after works like we were having a couple weeks ago, and I'll have er dun

Back