Dana 60 being installed under my 91 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 60 being installed under my 91

Progress has finally begun.
The Dana 60 is completed and ready for installation.

Here is the scoop.

I had a local shop put together a reverse cut Dana 60 with 5:13 Gears and an ARB. I am sticking with the ARB because I like it and my TTB had an ARB in it, so all the plumbing is there. The 60 has a center section from a 80s F-350. The Tubes are from something he had around the shop. The Axels are 35spline and cut to fit my application. I put in my order about 6 months ago. Due to him being a friend and letting him get parts as they became available, it took some time. I was not in any rush as I appreciate the work and cost involved if I were to have purchased it elsewhere.
Anyway, the axel is in and I almost completed the teardown. Let me say this. Half of the brackets and components under the front of my EX were either brocken or bent really bad. I had no idea it was such a mess under there. I am so glag the POS is out of there.

FST is going to build my front end. When completed it will have a 4 link and Coil Overs. The rear will be the 8.8 with 5:13s and a E-Locker. I will get springs to match the front end. I will be running 37 or 38 inch Boggers on 15 inch bead locks.

I forgot my camera I will have pictures next time around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

how long has it been since that thing was driving around? this is going to be so cool if it ever gets finished. hurry up im way past ready

Yeah I know but this thing is fun right out of the gate! Look at this 75 foot burnout!

Attachments

• brn out strt.JPG
    brn out strt.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 821
  • brn out.JPG
    brn out.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 848

updates?

any new knews?????

Updates... All of the axle brackets are finished and have been welded to the axle housing. Aluminum links have been cut to size and the front bumper is finished.

frontbumper.jpg

axlebracket.jpg

axlebrackets3.jpg

http://www.fly-n-hi.com/FST/hammer_sas

Did they do anything special when welding the brackets to the cast center sectoin? I have a spring pad thet needs to be welded to a cast centersection :D

Yes, they preheat the cast material before welding. They welded to my center section and I haven't had a problem in 5 years... knock wood ;) They also welded to my steering knuckle which many say is a no-no.

dana44_11.jpg

Do you know how hot I need to get it? Wonder if a little propane or mapp gas torch will work? I knew they welded yours and it has worked well thats why I am asking :D If mine comes out 10% as well as yours I will be happy. And I knew about your steering, Its been nomitated for the scary steering page :rolleyes:
http://www.rrorc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22705&highlight=scary

I just had to reply to that thread :D

lol nothing like bringing up an old thread from the dead. Maybe I should send a link to fakrwee as well so he can see how scary the clearancing of his frame was as well.

RockRanger said:
Do you know how hot I need to get it? Wonder if a little propane or mapp gas torch will work? I knew they welded yours and it has worked well thats why I am asking :D If mine comes out 10% as well as yours I will be happy. And I knew about your steering, Its been nomitated for the scary steering page :rolleyes:
http://www.rrorc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22705&highlight=scary

www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/castironpreheat.as

this might help
If it won't take you there between 500-1200 F but never over 1400 deg. F and short welds with no cooling at all.

Busted!

I finally caught someone working on Hammer's Explorer:eek:

Attachments

• caught.jpg
    caught.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 845

That has to be a posed shot! :D

Hope it gets done for a few truckhaven romps!

thats is the coolest front bumper i have ever seen on a 1st gen!

95ofroadx, Thanks, I am going to add a few items to it once I get it on the road.

Rick, That brings a tear to my eye!!!

Update:
Matt, Pepper and Myself put on a Marathon last night.
Bottom line is, the EX is now on all fours again :eek:

Pepper welded for 2 solid hours, Matt and I finished some guseting, finished putting the front 60 back together and got the arms ready for install. We then put that heavy sob under there. Hung the coil overs and installed the tires. NO JACK STANDS! We left at 10PM.
Much thanks to Matt and Pepper for staying late after working all day.

I forgot my camera, I will take pictures 9/15

bout time ;)

lookin forward to the pics

Dropped the gas tank tonight. Doesnt smell too bad but two and a half year old fuel is not something I want to run in my motor. I am going to have it cleaned and reinstall it asap.
Installed the rear drive shaft and set the pinion angle.
Pepper welded some more and only has a little more to go.
I removed the headers and steering box so he could get behind my shock hoops and weld. Headers are not so hard to do when your inner fender wells have been completley removed :confused:

Attachments

• sitting pretty.JPG
    sitting pretty.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,361
  • Track bar.JPG
    Track bar.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 983
  • fnt ass.JPG
    fnt ass.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 655

Back