Dana 60 being installed under my 91 | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 60 being installed under my 91

Progress has finally begun.
The Dana 60 is completed and ready for installation.

Here is the scoop.

I had a local shop put together a reverse cut Dana 60 with 5:13 Gears and an ARB. I am sticking with the ARB because I like it and my TTB had an ARB in it, so all the plumbing is there. The 60 has a center section from a 80s F-350. The Tubes are from something he had around the shop. The Axels are 35spline and cut to fit my application. I put in my order about 6 months ago. Due to him being a friend and letting him get parts as they became available, it took some time. I was not in any rush as I appreciate the work and cost involved if I were to have purchased it elsewhere.
Anyway, the axel is in and I almost completed the teardown. Let me say this. Half of the brackets and components under the front of my EX were either brocken or bent really bad. I had no idea it was such a mess under there. I am so glag the POS is out of there.

FST is going to build my front end. When completed it will have a 4 link and Coil Overs. The rear will be the 8.8 with 5:13s and a E-Locker. I will get springs to match the front end. I will be running 37 or 38 inch Boggers on 15 inch bead locks.

I forgot my camera I will have pictures next time around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune said:
That spring rate is STIFF IMO, 400-450 is stiff in a Gen I, unless coilovers are different??
I agree. I'm running 250/300 springs , and while that may be a tad soft I'm betting it is much closer to what you'll need.

EDIT: And Fakrwee's coilovers are 300/350

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I think the lexus just got a hidden hitch in the front and one in the rear.

Where are you guys running the coil overs? On the control arm or on the Axle?

Got it running last night!!!!
Headers only as I will need to modify the Y-Pipe

Got all the suspension on the front bolted down and ready
Re routed and installed new fuel filter
Installed all new brake lines, bled the system and it is working
Welded battery tray in place
Installed intake tube and MAS
Reinstalled A/C
Changed the oil, Filled the power steering pump burped it and it is working fine.
Fresh gas and it fired right up.

What is left:
Double sheer the pitman arm
Install conical washers on high steer
New yoke for front dana 60
Notch crosmember for aditional drive shaft clearance
Install new motor and transmission mounts
New front driveshaft with larger cv joint
Weld spring perches
Ramp it, figure out rear shock measurments
Install rear shock mounts, install rear shocks
Fab mount and install ARB compressor

Thats all I can think of now

how about "spend 6 hours cleaning/dusting ineterior" :p

Other then that you got it covered!

Hammer said:
Where are you guys running the coil overs? On the control arm or on the Axle?
Both of my examples are to the axle like your setup. As another example, Rick is running a 650/?? and he has the mechanical advantage of being halfway up the control arm, so that puts it back with the numbers I posted.

Finished up a few things over the weekend, and we drove it around!!!!
Its only running with the exhaust to the Y pipe and then its all open. It has no power :(
Hopefully the motor needs some back pressure to run correctly.

I ramped it and found a ton of areas that need trimming.
I also need motor and trans mounts so I replaced those today and took these shots

Attachments

• ps frnt2.JPG
    ps frnt2.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 523
  • ps rear.JPG
    ps rear.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 539
  • drvrs.JPG
    drvrs.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 522

Ramped it but only till I heard the driveshaft hit or the track bar rub.
I have a few more ods and ends then I will give it the full stretch

Attachments

• rmp drvrs frnt.JPG
    rmp drvrs frnt.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 501
  • rmp drvrs rear.JPG
    rmp drvrs rear.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 508
  • rmp pas frnt.JPG
    rmp pas frnt.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 497

Hammer said:
Its only running with the exhaust to the Y pipe and then its all open. It has no power :(
Hopefully the motor needs some back pressure to run correctly.

Not sure if you started it up once in a while, while it was in the garage, but when took my truck off the road this summer for a few months and then went to start it back up it was bogging down a lot and misfiring (4.0 ohv too). However, after a few days of driving on it it was back to normal. I figure it just had to clean itself out some. Maybe it could use an oil change?

He changed it already. Man that thing is massive yet beautiful.

Words can't express the amount of my jealousy. :p That thing is awesome. Can't wait to see some true action shots. :cool:

i bet HE cant wait (forget us...lol) to get into a situation where action shots are necessary ;)

that's sick!!

Yeah, that front doesn't look like it's stuffing as well as it could, but you said you stopped when you heard something hit. For God's sake wash off that dust! :p Looks real good.

:thumbsup: :bounce:

It's a sight for sore eyes!!

I finished it!!
Well as much as I could at the fab shop.
I brought it home tonight, I am very tired, 12:14 am and I have to go to work tommorow.

I am taking it to the exhaust shop in the Morning before work.

More later

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That thing is freakin' awesome!!!

Hammer said:
looks like they had to redo the track bar mount? that threw me off for a sec when i went back and looked at some of the original welding pics... the truck look awesome though, those guys sure can weld...

HOW DOES IT FEEL?

That is awesome, and 12:14 is not late for truck stuff, even on a work night :)
Congrats man!

Moab 06?

As far as the 4.0L being sluggish, it's tune up time! Clean the MAS, reset the PCM, run a couple tanks of good gas through it, then change the fuel filter and oil again.
I would also consider new fluids in everything (cooling, rear diff, t case, etc ) after sitting that long. The plug wires could likely also use some new grease and a good cleaning too.
Most likely it is the varnish in the fuel system, and PCM saying WTF? after sleeping for years.

She looks amazing out of the shop.

Alright!!! I can finally bring my Ex in for work ;)

Back