Darkness's new project~ D44 & 9" | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Darkness's new project~ D44 & 9"

Well I have been planning for the longest time to cut and turn a d44 ttb and somehow make it fit where the d35 is but... not anymore much as I love the ttb frontend I had a deal I couldnt pass up fall in my lap so now its SAS w/ a d44 and 9" rear from a '79 f150 going under my truck
Current pics found here!

Current plan is...
D44
1:clean up/teardown DONE!
2:cut/narrrow (I'm not going to run a full width front) DONE!
3:reload it, new brakes/hubs/joints/inner shafts (one EB longside and f150 short side) possible locker/regear funds depending :part Done, hubs, shafts, ujoints left to go
4:make it aimable, probably a early bronco steering setup or something semi custom
Steering on order

9" ON HOLD, going with the 8.8 and adapters for the current moment

1:clean all the rust off it (like the f150 frame thats sitting on it)
2:clean up/teardown
Added- Narrow it
3:figure out how to stop it, pick/figure out/fab brakes for it
4: maybe get new shafts/3rd member

Sounds simple right? Right... pics will be up by the end of this week for the project start

Note! I do know that the '79 d44 have cast ends and I am going to cut it down and it will work!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think he saying the problem is when the truck flexes up, the diffs going to hit basically no matter what.

Unless you run headers through the hood :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Just limit uptravel and run as much downtravel as possible.

If you really need and can cover my expenses I can come down and make you a header that will work. I have made headers with less room

Not that much of this matters I redid the y pipe with what I had for the time being, at some point I'll probably redo the whole front half of the exhaust system w/ custom built headers and whatnot but thats alittle ways off still

:p: Dont any of you read the other posts lol

I did, nothing personal but what experience do you have making headers? they are a lot more than just bending tube

I did, nothing personal but what experience do you have making headers? they are a lot more than just bending tube

Im going to be making my own exhaust soon, but im leaving the headers alone.

probly cant drive stick...lol/jk you should look into it.

what about putting in a T5? Have you checked out any of the dimensions? 5 speeds are so much more fun anyway.

If i was going to go w/ a stick I would go for a ZF5 or NV 4500 swap, not a T5, but it would be kind of a waste of the TCS and factory new 4r70w I already have in the truck... not to mention I did the atlas ordered for the 4r70w so that would be even more research to figure out how to make it fit.
I'll probably just add a extra bumpstop and call it a day for the front drive shaft clearance issues, I really could care less if the truck can flex out to the max, if thats what I was shooting for I would have just gone full width front and rear and linked the sob out

AA can make an atlas fit anything, You send it to them and they change it around

AA can make an atlas fit anything, You send it to them and they change it around

Yup, I think they also said that its usually cheaper to sell the one you have and just buy a new one built to new specs you need then to have one redone

I did the atlas ordered for the 4r70w so that would be even more research to figure out how to make it fit.

You said it was going to take research. I was simply pointing out that it would not. Now you are also saying it would not

You said it was going to take research. I was simply pointing out that it would not. Now you are also saying it would not

well the current atlas may or maynot bolt right to a zf5 or nv4500, but thats still $$ that I would have to pull from no where for a extra swap that I have NO plans on doing....

So anyone else want to build this rig for me w/ their $$ or should I just put the gears in the front and drive it (yeah only thing left to drive it is front gearing everything else HAS been done)

Wasnt building your truck for you. How could I, not even in the same state. I was simply stating that research is not needed for what you thought it was.

that being said post some pics of the exhaust, curious on what you did

Forgot the pics of the exhaust, all i did was shorten the bend at where it comes off the header collector.
Next thing I need to figure out...
Fenders?
IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

Or rubber things
IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

Rubber. The fiberglass ones fit like crap and break, the rubber is the way to go

Neither apear to get coverage though. The fiberglass is also cut WAY too big for your tire size

Wolf go with the rubber definately.

I have not had a single issue with my fiberglass in 5+ years, not sure why you guys have issues.

The rubber thingys be ugly IMO
What headers are those?

Back