Do you wear a seatbelt? | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you wear a seatbelt?

Do you wear a seatbelt?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 398 81.1%
  • No, never

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Depends (please post what it depends on)

Votes: 64 13.0%

• Total voters
Wrong, several bad points are in that post. You do not "roll" anything, you drive.

IMO, driver's seat belts are first and foremost not for accident survival, but to avoid accidents. They hold you in the seat. Without seat belts there will be more accidents, and water "landings," because you lose control, because you didn't have seat belts on.

They allow you to abruptly yank the steering wheel to avoid accidents. Without them any sharp turning throws you out of a proper seated position, which greatly increases chances of losing control.

Lastly, the word is lose, not loose. You lose items, you don't loose items. Learn the words, don't keep using them wrong assuming people don't care. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wrong, several bad points are in that post. You do not "roll" anything, you drive.

IMO, driver's seat belts are first and foremost not for accident survival, but to avoid accidents. They hold you in the seat. Without seat belts there will be more accidents, and water "landings," because you lose control, because you didn't have seat belts on.

They allow you to abruptly yank the steering wheel to avoid accidents. Without them any sharp turning throws you out of a proper seated position, which greatly increases chances of losing control.

Lastly, the word is lose, not loose. You lose items, you don't loose items. Learn the words, don't keep using them wrong assuming people don't care. Regards,

No need to get heated buddy. I'm speaking from first hand experience. Have you ever been in a convoy of Up-armored Humvees that were operating on a canal road in a war-zone, and watched as the truck in front of you rolled into the water? Not from driver error, but from sheer weight of the vehicle. And heard first hand the Marines in that vehicle attributing their lives to the SOP of ditching seat belts when operating in a tactical vehicle overseas?

These lesson were hard learned by the military, early in both conflicts, many soldiers and Marines either had roads disintegrate on them, or their vehicles blown up and pushed into water obstacles and the occupants drowned, still securely strapped into their seats. Or in the case of vehicles being hit by an IED. Those inertia seat belts tend to lock up pretty good once they've been blown up. Sure if you've got a strap cutter you could be good to go. But after a explosion you could wounded, disoriented. Add to the situation receiving small arms fire, and the chances of the vics catching fire, you'll see the pattern.

Eventually we ditched wearing seat belts all together, quick exits are vital to our survival. As you may have seen in my previous post, I mention that most wheelers will never run across a situation where the use of seat belts shouldn't be worn. But there could always be the situation where knowing this piece of information could prove useful.

Lastly I've got to say, if you're trying to prove my point invalid, nitpicking a single misspelled word is by the worst way to go about it. Now I know it's misspelled, but really? If seems you've run out of experience, stay in your lane.

Cheers.

Indeed you could, but if you've ever been upside down and under water in a vehicle you'll realize how disorienting it can be, and how quickly you loose items. I'm not saying you should always roll without seat belts, there is a situation where it is, in my opinion advisable, to roll without seat belts. Now the average wheeler here won't run into these situations. Overseas we tended to keep out belts off near canals and ravines for quick exits.
No need to get heated buddy. I'm speaking from first hand experience. Have you ever been in a convoy of Up-armored Humvees that were operating on a canal road in a war-zone, and watched as the truck in front of you rolled into the water? Not from driver error, but from sheer weight of the vehicle. And heard first hand the Marines in that vehicle attributing their lives to the SOP of ditching seat belts when operating in a tactical vehicle overseas?

These lesson were hard learned by the military, early in both conflicts, many soldiers and Marines either had roads disintegrate on them, or their vehicles blown up and pushed into water obstacles and the occupants drowned, still securely strapped into their seats. Or in the case of vehicles being hit by an IED. Those inertia seat belts tend to lock up pretty good once they've been blown up. Sure if you've got a strap cutter you could be good to go. But after a explosion you could wounded, disoriented. Add to the situation receiving small arms fire, and the chances of the vics catching fire, you'll see the pattern.

Eventually we ditched wearing seat belts all together, quick exits are vital to our survival. As you may have seen in my previous post, I mention that most wheelers will never run across a situation where the use of seat belts shouldn't be worn. But there could always be the situation where knowing this piece of information could prove useful.

Lastly I've got to say, if you're trying to prove my point invalid, nitpicking a single misspelled word is by the worst way to go about it. Now I know it's misspelled, but really? If seems you've run out of experience, stay in your lane.

Cheers.

Fool, do you not realize that your post is not just affecting you?

You just insinuated that every body should remove their seat belts every time they get near water. That is stupid, and you just made that suggestion.

If your intention was to actually help, you should have stated your full examples and explanations, to disclaim why you personally avoid seat belts near water. Do not underestimate the power of suggestion. If you speak ignorance or without real explanations, lots of not so smart people will take your advice as an excuse to not wear seat belts. That is not helpful.

If you do know that you misspelled the word "lose", then why didn't you correct it? Why don't you correct it now, or after I pointed it out? My point is that I do not believe you knew it was spelled wrong, I think you do that regularly, as thousands of other people do the same thing. The point is that abusing the words and their spelling is an abuse of everyone who reads them. You are perpetuating the ignorance of others, and the misuse of words. That is not good for anyone, as evidenced by the Kennedy woman who lost the appointment for NY Senator because she sounded stupid("like, you know").

I'm not being rude, it just gets old listening(or reading) bad English. Every once in a while someone needs to say something. This time I did. Regards,

Indeed you could, but if you've ever been upside down and under water in a vehicle you'll realize how disorienting it can be, and how quickly you loose items. I'm not saying you should always roll without seat belts, there is a situation where it is, in my opinion advisable, to roll without seat belts. Now the average wheeler here won't run into these situations. Overseas we tended to keep out belts off near canals and ravines for quick exits.

I have rolled vehicles, I am perfectly aware of how disorientating it is. I have even had vehicles under water. I keep a strap cutter clipped to the seatbelt. If I were ever subject to attack from an explosive device, I would rather be secured to the seat instead of flying outside the protection of the vehicle. Would make finding you easier for medical personnel if you are seriously injured easier, and it would prevent exposure to additional injury. If a soldier is wounded and disorientated, I would prefer he stays put and waits for help to arrive instead of wandering off because he doesn't know what he is doing. I hate listening to idiots proclaim they have been in situations where not wearing their seatbelt saved their life. For all the respect I have for US Marines, I don't think anyone can honestly say they are the smartest bunch of guys anyways.

Now, why don't you try and find some statistics on how many occupants of military vehicles have drowned?

Also, I would recommend against future posts where you try and prove your point by asking how many of us have been this in X military action. I'm certain there is a good number of people on here with military service in their record, some probably a LOT more than you.

I am only saying anything because your comments sound like you are suggesting a person drive without a seatbelt when near water or ravines. By the way, just was at walmart earlier to buy a DVD, saw a little tool thingee with a windshield breaker, seatbelt cutter, flashlight, alarm siren and flashing red lights. $12.99, clips on your keychain.

Last edited:

I always wear mine. The only time I don't is when I'm backing a trailer and want a little extra freedom of movement to look around.

For anyone interested here are current seat belt laws:
http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/seatbelt_laws.html

I, for one, am partly against legislated common sense because it becomes very difficult to distinguish where it should stop. Should we prevent overeaters from slamming down their 5th Big Mac of the week?
That being said I think it's just common sense to wear one. My cousin's best friend had one of the cars with the auto shoulder belt and he never fastened the lap portion. He crashed his car their junior year and was ejected through the windshield and died.
My dad rolled his semi and was left suspended upside down by his seat belt.
They do work.

I can also attest to the fact that when you're flying down a bumpy road the last thing you want to do is be ejected from your driving position. I can't tell you how many times in my early teens I locked the seatbelt getting a little bit of air.

As far as motorcycle helmets, feel free not to wear one but why??? Not only is vision extremely impaired without proper wind blocking eye-protection but I wrecked a bicycle at 20MPH and it took me 3 weeks to heal up. I was shirtless and the road rash made sleeping and showering severely uncomfortable.
When I got my motorcycle I decided to never ride without a helmet and a protective jacket. It's not worth it.
Besides, I've got a couple hundred dollars of tattoos to protect. I never got that, people who spend a bunch of money on tats and then ride around in sleeveless shirts. Seems like they're just asking for trouble...

I always wear my seat belt when I am not at work. When I am at work it depends if I do or don't. When I leave the plant and until my first stop I wear it. From there I usually don't because it is normally less than 1KM between my stops. If I am traveling over 2.5KM's or over 60KM/H I will put the seat belt on.

Every time, all the time. Even just moving the car out of the driveway. The seatbelt gets clicked before I shift into gear.

Sometimes. If I remember that it is the law. If there was no law, it would hard to say if I ever would. It probably starts with my dad not wearing one, ever. He was one of those that a emt told he would not have lived if he had one on. He lost control at 70mph & hit a telephone pole sideways in the drivers door. The car wrapped around the pole. They say if he was not pushed out of the drivers seat, then he would have been crushed in it.

He was one of those that a emt told he would not have lived if he had one on. He lost control at 70mph & hit a telephone pole sideways in the drivers door. The car wrapped around the pole. They say if he was not pushed out of the drivers seat, then he would have been crushed in it.

Your dad is a lucky man........the EMT is an idiot! There is obviously no knowledge of physics/inertia here! When you hit an object you are thrown INTO it not pushed away from it.:rolleyes:

Buckle up ! !

i always wear mine. and always will. i flipped a bronco 2 and the seat belt kept me off my sister.

i always wear mine. and always will. i flipped a bronco 2 and the seat belt kept me off my sister.

Aw c'mon! Bronco II's don't flip!;)

......... and I'm sure your sister is grateful!!:)

Wear mine unless I'm going VERY short distances (moving the truck in a lot, yard, small towing, etc.) for the sake of quick exit. But I'm all for all the time when I'm out on the road.

Yes always

It's a natural act after doing for so long.

It's a natural occurrence here too. I just do it all the time. This stems from the fact that it's too expensive not to with the cost of seatbelt tickets. It's ridiculous that anyone or any government is able to force me to wear it, but it's one of those things that just is the way it is.

New Hampshire is the only place I've been that doesn't have mandatory seatbelt laws. Or helmet laws for that matter. Regardless, seatbelt on.

I'll wear it most of the time, if I'm driving down the road to the gas station(a mile or so) I won't or if its at night and I don't think about it. I know its a bad habit and the girl I'm dating gets on me about it every time I run her home and don't have it on.

For the 22 souls that said never.....Well, good for you guys I guess.

I have been in a car that rolled over 4 maybe 6 times. I don't remember the #. Roof crushed, all the windows busted out I was in the back seat. If it was not for the seat belt I would have been thrown out of the car like my friend sitting next to me who was not wearing one was & smacked his head on something & died.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the 22 souls that said never.....Well, good for you guys I guess.

I have been in a car that rolled over 4 maybe 6 times. I don't remember the #. Roof crushed, all the windows busted out I was in the back seat. If it was not for the seat belt I would have been thrown out of the car like my friend sitting next to me who was not wearing one was & smacked his head on something & died.

It's a rare thing to survive a crash like that without a seat belt. It does happen, but not as much as the non wearers think.

I have a good friend who almost never wears a belt, and in one accident he was pushed to the opposite side of the car. The side impact crushed the driver's seat, and he was pushed through the center console(95 Mustang GT) to the other door.

He survived, it was a somewhat slow accident(35mph in a curve, hit a tree), but he thinks he'd be dead if he had a belt on. It's hard to argue that point when he did live, but I think the Lord had more to do with that then not wearing a seat belt.

Back