Driving a manual / standard experience | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driving a manual / standard experience

SmokeGrinder

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Uber Of All Possible Doom
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer 4X4
Ok so my explorer is at the shop having new tranny, its been unusable for four weeks now. I really needed to get somewhere this weekend so my dealership said I could take one of their cars while my one was being repaired.
Anyways they gave me a ford focus with a manual transmission. It scared me to death! I have hardly ever driven one of these before. Once I figured out that you have to push the 3rd pedal in before you can shift the gears I was kind of ok, but I did forget a few times. I got 3rd gear and 1st gear confused on occasions which caused the engine to stop unexpectedly.
anywyas never again!!!
I don’t get manual transmissions! I want my explorer back !!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two of my 3 vehicles are stickshifts. If Ford had made the 2001 Explorer 4door with a stick, all 3 would be. Both my wife and I prefer manual trannys over autos.

However, having said that, a good auto makes towing and rock crawling a lot easier :D

auto's suck, i forget how to drive them, always hitting the brake thinking it's a clutch gets old. Driving a 5 spd is like riding a bike, once your good, yu'll never forget. Jeff, so if I don't slip my clutch when crawling, and make a bunch of auto Jeeps look bad, what does that make me?:D

Originally posted by Muskrat
....Jeff, so if I don't slip my clutch when crawling, and make a bunch of auto Jeeps look bad, what does that make me?:D

A Ford Driver?????:cool:

well you can all keep you stickshifts im sticking with Auto my friends!
5R55E!!!

and why is a 98 in the shop for a tranny reapiar already?:p 153k, and the tranny is still good, although the engine geting tired

Jeff, right on:D
IMO, the only advantage to an auto is trailering, driving just gets too boring withough changing gears

the tranny gave up on me it made a sound like a power saw and i lost some gears... the motor is still strong in my x

I love manual transmissions. Every vehicle i've owned has had one. I can't stand automatics theyre do damn boring.

well you can all keep you stickshifts im sticking with Auto my friends!
That's what ford and the trans shops want you do do. :)

We have three stick shift vehicles. All three have reverse in a different place. Since getting our Ram with the 6 speed I have accidently hit reverse twice in my Explorer when trying to shift into 4th :eek:!!

so what did it do when you hit reverse? oh in an auto tranny could you hit reverse at lets say 70mph? would it let you?

Hopefully my next car will be a stick. Seems like more of a true driving experience

i'll tell you what...my 93 ex is my first stick and i love it with one exception, city driving! i use the 91 alot for that but i think unless i am getting something where it is not available (ie most lux vehicles), then i will probably have a stick from here on out!

Originally posted by thudson
so what did it do when you hit reverse? oh in an auto tranny could you hit reverse at lets say 70mph? would it let you?

My Explorer shuts down if you try to hit reverse over about 8 mph (auto) :eek:

I really miss my 5spd. I love my X, but she would be awesome if she had 5spd tranny. Too bad Ford usually only puts manuals in the stockers :(

It's all about the tip tronic trannys and paddle shifters:D

:sighs: I miss manual transmission..... Not to mention the gearing between the autos and manual (manual, for mine at least, is lower)

I had never driven a stick until I got the Prelude. Now after driving it for almost 3 months, I think I will never go back to an auto. My next car will definitely be a stick. Mainly because an automatic transmission is a $1,000 option, but also because of the faster acceleration, ease of keeping the engine in its powerband, better fuel economy, and less expensive repairs.

Ah! The Prelude! That was my first car (and the manual transmission one) :) That thing was fun :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they both have their pros and cons....

My 94 sport was a manual and my 2001 is an auto

Driving a manual in traffic absolutely sucks!
Also, even though i became very good at it before i sold my 94, eating, drinking, talking on cell phone while driving can get complicated
However driving it on an open highway is just awesome and you never get bored while driving it!

I like the auto better for dates and going out! If your not shifting you have a free hand to be doing something else
:D

plus i think the ride is smoother

Back