Dry Ice to fix dents? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dry Ice to fix dents?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was on another forum and someone suggested using dry ice to pop out dents. Does this work? and How do you do it?

What? :confused: I've heard of plungers, but dry ice?:crazy:

Edit: Ok did some quick research.. I found it will work on minor dents like from hail or something. I guess you heat up the dent then apply the dry ice. Hmmmmm..... someone give me a ball pein hammer:p:

Supposedly--when the surrounding metal is very hot, dry ice applied to the ding causes a rapid contraction of the metal and the dent pops out-
I haven't seen this myself, but have heard the urban legend.

It works if you do it right, but if you dont you have a pretty good chance of warping the panel badly.

It works if you do it right, but if you dont you have a pretty good chance of warping the panel badly.

well how do you do it right?

I would worry about paint damage.

Consider Paintless Dent Removal.

I have used that on my Toyota Paseo, twice. First time was to "massage" out a nice dent that someone left on my front driver fender. They could not guarantee the results since it involved a body line, but the fix is good enough to fool a dealer. Estimates from a few body shops were $250 to over $1000. This was $50, and they worked out a few door dings, and a ding on my roof.

The second time was to work out a ding from a shopping cart, right on the rear fender lip. He could not work it out since the metal is double layered, the ding was right between the lip edge and a body line, and possible paint damage might result in further attempts using the hot glue and suction cup method. No charge since he could not get it out. He offered to work out some other misc dings around my car. I think he worked out like 17 dings for $65. He usually charges by the panel.

If you do not want to disturb the paint, then this process is probably not for you. Heating the metal up hot enough before the ice is applied will burn the paint. I just can see a panel warping so easily when doing this. I believe they used a method like this on monster garage once, and they screwed up the roof up on a PT Cruiser pretty bad. They had to spread filler over the whole roof and block it smooth.

If you have a small dent, it would be best to take it to a paintless dent repair expert.

well how do you do it right?

Not quite sure as I have never done it for that reason, to my knowledge you heat up the dented area and throw dry ice on it to shrink the dent and pop it back out, i'm sure its an art like working with lead for bodyworking.

Yes...it has been done. There was a guy that just posted (today) pictures of what he did on the floor board of a car on the SPI users forum. Yes...it ruins the paint, but they are media blasting this car anyway.

I have never personally done it or seen it done, but I bet only experts can make it work well.

you could park it in the hot sun and let that heat the body panel ( but it is winter now) I have done the heat and cool dent repair method but with a wet rag not dry ice. yes you will destroy the paint.

Tim

Never seen it done.
I have a hard time with the logic and science behind it ( or lack there of )

Dry Ice? I don't know but when repairing a vehicles roof we put cold packs near the repair to absorb some of the heat.

Back