End of the road for Explorer Sport? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

End of the road for Explorer Sport?

It went into their Automotive feedback area on their website.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If this is in fact true, then I hope Ford comes out with a decent replacement. Everyone is correct in that while our Explorers aren't the best offroader out of the box, they're still a lot better than the "lifted car SUVs" out there. I'm afraid Ford will lose a lot of customers if they cancel what's left of the solid axle/liftable SUVs.

Ford SUV's have saved the company's ass over the last few years, it's sad to see them screwing with such a big market. You would think since the Explorer has been the #1 selling SUV on earth for the last 10+ years they would tread lightly.........guess not. :(

there goes another vehicle to mediocority. Its all about the masses now adays there are no more really innovative vehicles. The only exception i can think of is the gt40 but even then thats based on a previous and proven concept that ford knows people will like. They touted the new explorer as a leap in technology but they just took car suspension and put it in a mainstream vehicle before any one else did. The sport was really the last suv (with the exclusion of jeeps of course) that could be used for off road. It still had a frame, it had a solid axle and with the exeception of the ifs its a decent truck for offroad. ive got a wreckd 96 sport that i was thinkin of turning into a trial rig. I think i might hold onto it for a while and keep it as a classic.

They don't mention the Sport Trac.... Will this still be built I wonder. Wouldn't make sense to if you're not building the Sport. And then again, wouldn't make sense to kill the Sport if you're still building the Trac..... Hmmmm.

Im willing to bet the sport trac will go irs like the 4dr. :(

I just saw this thread and couldn't believe it. I recently traded my ranger for a new '02 Sport because I honestly thought it was the only decent looking new SUV left made by Ford. Now they are getting rid of it. I hate the looks of the new 4-door Explorer and Expedition.

Oh well, glad I got one when I could. I love it so far. Black with Dk. Charcol Int and that SOHC 4.0 is soooo smooth compared to my 3.0 in the ranger.

Good news for us SPORT fans...:D

Per our Warranty/PR Manager, he's received info from FORD that the Sport will be built thru the 2005 model year. As far as a replacement vehicle for the Sport? It's already been built and being sold. It's called the Escape. Ford is also supposed to be building a shorter 2-door version of the Expedition to become the new BRONCO.

Bronco :bounce:

We all know what my next DD/Tow Vehicle is gonna be!

Originally posted by Alec
Bronco :bounce:

We all know what my next DD/Tow Vehicle is gonna be!
Hey who says you can't wheel a full size :D

Well, if Splat is still an ok DD when I get out of med school he's gonna stay that way. If not, I might get another DD and do the 4x4 conversion on Splat. Or, get another DD and a cheapo trail rig.

Dunno, gotta finish med school first!

Originally posted by SWLathrop
It's already been built and being sold. It's called the Escape. Ford is also supposed to be building a shorter 2-door version of the Expedition to become the new BRONCO.

Mmmm great.... The Escape is replacing the Sport. Mmmmm... sweet.... :puke"

As far as a 2 door Expedition. That's just great too... An IFS/IRS version of the Bronco... why bother even putting the name on the thing?

Good point Rick. They aren't planning on calling it a Brondo you think?

Happy trails!!

Brando... like the actor, its mobility will be severely lacking... :)

Brondo like Bondo is a poor substitute for steel :D

Originally posted by SWLathrop
Good news for us SPORT fans...:D

Per our Warranty/PR Manager, he's received info from FORD that the Sport will be built thru the 2005 model year. As far as a replacement vehicle for the Sport? It's already been built and being sold. It's called the Escape. Ford is also supposed to be building a shorter 2-door version of the Expedition to become the new BRONCO.

Yes, but the problem with the 79-93 Bronco is they are too wide for most of the trails around here. My neighbor has one he wants to sell, but I know from experience it will be too wide for a lot of the trails. A Bronco based on the Expedition will be too wide as well.

The Explorer is a good width, although sometimes even it seems a little wide and needs a lot more ground clearance for the rocky trails in the Sierra Nevada. I'm not willing to modify mine heavily yet because it is my daily transportation. Maybe later in its life.

Ford needs to make a serious off road vehicle like the early 66 - 77 Bronco. Just the right size, solid axles at both ends. These vehicles are 25 -30 yrs old and still sell for $8k in decent condition.

Originally posted by RoadEnforcer
Yeah he is just venting, and I am sure he means the 02 explorers also. Why stop producing the best selling compact suv on the road? And honestly, they were just starting to look good.

Actually, the Escape is the best selling compact SUV. Probably the reason why the Sport got whacked. Lets face it the independent suspension is the direction all SUV's are going. Dont worry Ford is not alone in this direction they are just leading the way...not a bad thing in the auto industry. Props to Ford and the 02 ROCKS!!! Take one for a drive then talk!! thanks

Originally posted by mikem74

Actually, the Escape is the best selling compact SUV. Probably the reason why the Sport got whacked.

The Sport is in the Explorer family, so it is considered a midsize for reporting purposes (even though it is only a few inches longer than the Escape). With the cost cutting, and platform that the Sport is on going away, something will have to be changed on it. When things improve, I wouldn't be surprised that there will be something similar to a Sport out.

Everybody NEEDS to STOP talking trash on the New 4 doors!!!! :nono: I happen to love the way the new 4 doors look, especially the Limiteds. My 02' XLT is BEAUTIFUL!! That really sucks about the sports, I just called the local Ford dealer and asked, just to make sure. Yep, no more Explorer Sports, but there are still many 03's left. Oh well I guess the full size 4 doors will rule the SUV world.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back