• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• We are aware of the issue with our internal search engine and we will be bringing it back online shortly. For now please use the Google search bar near the top of each page. Thanks, Rick
^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

End of the road for Explorer Sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Cartman

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
Is there anything official on the 2 door expedition/bronco, or is it just people hoping - I want it but until ford actually says they will be producing it I don't want to get my hopes up.

Soundguy01tx

Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
yea no joke... if its real, even if it isnt somethin to take offroad... thatll be a good college/highschool young person car... you can rest assured Ill see em around my hometown if they produce em...
--Bryan

2001ExpSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
ok, don't everyone get their panties in a bunch now....don't expect great things from Ford.....you're gunna get someting with IFS/RFS. Wait....they already make that....it's call the Escape....GAY!

Thank you.

Oh and why not make the new 150's with IFS/RFS....what the heck do em all that way.

I have a better idea, let's put straight axels on cars...ya...

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
Originally posted by 2001ExpSport

I have a better idea, let's put straight axels on cars...ya...
Hey, that's a great idea!

RAZOR

Reaction score
City, State
Lyndhurst,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport 4x4 4.0L SOHC
I hope they do cancel the Sport. That will make my truck more valuable.

unclemeat

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
It is sad that Ford does not regonize a segment of their SUV market that basicaly created the whole Explorer sucess. Many people who purchase SUVs intend to use them for off-roading. What does Ford offer to these people? How about the address of a Hummer or Jeep dealer.

Cartman

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
Most people do not offroad their SUV's but they like the image that they can, I'm one of them.

I love my truck and like the size and tougher image and got the grille guard to enhance the image of it but it has never been offroad and most likely never will. But I still want a truck thats look like it can go offroad.

unclemeat

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
The image of the explorer is quickly turning to that of a mini-van. The reason many people have switched from mini-van to SUV, is so that they are not cast into that inage. It is like the black kid white kid syndrome. When the black kids do its is cool, when all the white kids do it is is pitiful.

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
The image of the Explorer has always been one of a family vehicle, just one that dad would like to drive too. I remember when it first came out.

Most people do not offroad their SUV's but they like the image that they can, I'm one of them.
Yeah but people are dumb, even in the crossovers they still feel they have that image.

Bwana Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Morris Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Well, I don't go offroad, either, except for an occasional dirt road or open field. However, with the potholes and unplowed roads here in NJ, I feel that a vehicle the is off road capable, will be that much more durable when facing the hazards of the daily drive.

When I crawl under my explorer, I can see that everything is heavy duty. I've looked at the Honda CRV's, and the rear diff and axle shafts look really fragile.

I just saw Consumer Reports. They prefer the SUV's built on car platforms, especially the Honda Pilot, but how durable are these vehicles? My Ex is 12 years old and has 160k miles on it. I've never kept a car this long.

Bob

pmill

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4
What about the concept Bronco?

I know it's just concept but wouldn't the Bronco that they showed off at the 2004 NAIA show renew some hope for Ford's offroad lineup. I would be all over one of these. Turbo Diesel, removable roof, looks kewl....

http://www.ford-trucks.com/news/2004/news2004-1.html

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Ford should just take a new regular cab F150 and chop the bed off it. Good nuff. There's your Bronco (full size, off road capable, solid axles, etc, everyone's happy)

unabonked

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98Sport, 94XLT, 96Sport
Very sad inseed. The sport, by far my favorite vehicle was small enough and short enought to be very capable offroad. I like my big doors and the way it lacks that "wagon on stilts" look many 4 door trucks have.

I have read that they were serious about the bronco concept. This may be the replacment to the Sport. If so, i really hope they use the chassis and suspension equiptment from the Ranger/Sport. IFS i can live with... full IS i can do without.

I thought the Sport was a goner for a while... it would have either gone with IRS or be phased out as they "refine" their SUVs. Off-roaders is a fragment segmrent in the truck market. I think ford is ###using on getting more sales then getting into niches.

Their last niche car was the thunderbird (i will not count the limited production supercar in this exaple), and that died as well.

Maybe they will come out with the 427... i loved that concept.

Bwana Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Morris Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Future trucks

Well, I think the Escape is the replacement for the Explorer Sport. The length and wheelbase are similar.

The new Bronco concept is interesting, but it looks pretty expensive with all the advanced features. It wouldn't really meet my needs. What I want is a daily driver that has lots of cargo capacity like the Explorer, is good in snow, and can do a little off-roading (not that I necessarily would, but I could).

I would hope that Ford will use the concept Bronco as a test bed and incorporate some of its features into the Explorer. I would like to see an "FX4" version of the Ex, like they did with the Ranger, plus the turbo diesel and 6 speed tranny from the concept Bronco. Would that not be cool?

Bob

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
A 2.0L, diesel or not, ain't gonna move that thing very well unless you had the nos on full time

Majisto

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
F14CRAZY said:
A 2.0L, diesel or not, ain't gonna move that thing very well unless you had the nos on full time
Depends on how much it weighs. Besides, do you really want an off-roader to be "fast"? It just needs low gearing for rock crawls and mud crawling. A diesel would be even better for off-roading with its amazingly high amount of torque at such a low RPM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Majisto said:
Depends on how much it weighs. Besides, do you really want an off-roader to be "fast"? It just needs low gearing for rock crawls and mud crawling. A diesel would be even better for off-roading with its amazingly high amount of torque at such a low RPM.
The 2 liter will move a 2 door Escape okay, but what if you want to tow?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rick End of the Sport Trac and Mountaineer Auto Industry News 24
E The End Of The Explorer!!!!oh No!! Auto Industry News 53
C Ford f-150 svt raptor r captures podium finish; off-road enthusiasts hear raptor pric Auto Industry News 20
S NEW RANGER FX4 off-road Auto Industry News 2
R Prem. Off-Road Ranger? Auto Industry News 4
C Ford’s new concept off-road vehicle pics Auto Industry News 9
T Off Road Package for Ranger Auto Industry News 24
Rick The History of the First Ford Explorer - by Derek Elliot former Ford engineer Auto Industry News 3
Rick Explorer demand to keep Ford's Chicago plants busier this summer Auto Industry News 0
D 2016 Ford Explorer Auto Industry News 0
BrooklynBay Ford recalls the 2013 Explorer, Taurus, and Lincoln MKS for defective child locks. Auto Industry News 0
Rick Ford Explorer Production Goes International as Iconic SUV Rolls Off the Line in Russi Auto Industry News 0
T 2012 explorer getting the 2.0 ecoboost Auto Industry News 16
Rick Bigger fonts for Explorer and Edge Auto Industry News 4
J The Atkins Explorer Auto Industry News 12
J 2011 Explorer named Truck of the Year Auto Industry News 8
E 2011 Explorer caught Auto Industry News 0
K kenny brown ford explorer Auto Industry News 2
JDraper 1995-2002 Explorer (and other vehicles) Recall Auto Industry News 29
A Explorer #3 best selling SUV in Sept. Auto Industry News 3
D truck trend,,, showing the new explorer Auto Industry News 23
Stic-o Explorer sales down 52% for June! Auto Industry News 9
B Ford Recall... again 1991 > Explorer, Ranger, Sport Trac Auto Industry News 40
C honda crv vs explorer Auto Industry News 12
Rick 2008 Ford Explorer Features Auto Industry News 22
S $2 billion lawsuit against Ford Re: Explorer Auto Industry News 49
M Ford Explorer reliability - how does it compare? Auto Industry News 48
N Next Ford Explorer to be a CUV Auto Industry News 122
F how bout a Explorer hybrid or diesel or dieselhybrid Auto Industry News 6
W Explorer's didn't do too bad Auto Industry News 8
Rick Explorer "Ironman" edition Auto Industry News 11
Rick Ford Explorer, Sport Trac And Mercury Mountaineer Earn Highest Iihs Frontal Crash Tes Auto Industry News 0
Rick FORD EXPLORER & MERCURY MOUNTAINEER EARN NHTSA'S HIGHEST CRASH TEST RATINGS Auto Industry News 0
Rick 2007 Explorer Sport Trac Press Kit Auto Industry News 46
E More Explorer Sport Trac Concept Pictures (2006) Auto Industry News 0
Rick 2006 Ford Explorer Product Information Auto Industry News 20
O Important Explorer & Mustang possible recalls.Important read! Auto Industry News 5
Raminator157 The New 2005 Explorer Sport Trac Concept Auto Industry News 14
Stic-o 2006 Explorer Auto Industry News 260
Stic-o Ram Air Explorer? Could it be? Auto Industry News 1
X Ford Explorer in No. 8 spot Auto Industry News 7
9 Explorer Sport dead for 2004?? Auto Industry News 1
S Centennial Edition Explorer Auto Industry News 21
H 2003 Explorer Sportsman Auto Industry News 8
0 Soft top Explorer sport? Auto Industry News 1
U explorer, mountaineer, and now the aviator Auto Industry News 22
R American people like Ford Explorer - 5th place Auto Industry News 7
R NHTSA Denies Firestone Request For Ford Explorer Investigation Auto Industry News 1
D Jury rules against Ford in Explorer Rollover case! Auto Industry News 15
M Rumor Control: Explorer Sport? Auto Industry News 24