Every time you think you will remember, you don't - What is this bolt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Every time you think you will remember, you don't - What is this bolt?

Xylene

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT V8
1998 Ford 5.0L - I have this bolt sitting around during my engine rebuild, so I know it came off the car. The new bolt came with my head bolts, but I honestly cannot remember where it is supposed to go, nor do I see a place for it to go.

20210915_230807.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like an accesory bracket bolt.
That is what I am hoping and as the build goes along its location will become apparent. I have no idea why it came with each set of my new head bolts, its about the same size.

there is at least 2 accesory bolts which penetrate into a coolant passage. Corrosion renders them unusable. LIke the water pump timing cover bolts---

Remember this as there will be the same hole on the rear sides of the heads which need to be sealed with threaded plugs.

That looks to me like a exhaust manifold bolt with a accessory stud. You might not have needed it for your rebuild.

Obviously you don't need it now, so can I have it?

That could be one of the lower timing cover bolts, or one of the corner intake bolts, it's a bit long for a manifold bolt.

Lower timing cover (for the starter wiring harness) is what it -looks- like to me, but why would it be included in a set of head bolts?

On the driver sides head there is an accessory bracket. This bolt is one that should be used for the head. It looks like I will be removing one of the bolts from that sides head and replacing it with the one meant for this accessory.

WP_20160822_22_08_33_Rich-cropped.jpg

What goes on that bracket? I don't have it installed on mine.

What goes on that bracket? I don't have it installed on mine.
If I remember its a single plastic bracket that holds the ignition wire to the spark plug, its a whole lot of metal and brackets for a single wire. Ether that or its a bracket for the O2 sensor wire

Well, the good news: It a external component. Imagine if was internal? But it clear be a component support like other guys wrote. You need to compare with diagrams manual . Maybe it not necessary to change it if you place the component in other support or position...

At first glance i was thinking exhaust manifold bolt with the tab for the dipstick.

1998 Ford 5.0L - I have this bolt sitting around during my engine rebuild, so I know it came off the car. The new bolt came with my head bolts, but I honestly cannot remember where it is supposed to go, nor do I see a place for it to go.

View attachment 342549
It looks like a front cover bolt to me there's several of them actually

View attachment 342549
This looks like the starter assembly bolt.

Its times like this that make it nice to know people on here really do work on things and are not google warriors. From a picture on a computer we all can narrow down where a bolt goes. Congrats to everyone on here!!!

Back