Explorer's Poor Headlights | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer's Poor Headlights

Also make sure the bulbs are in their sockets and rotated completely, they turn until they click in and 'lock'.

They still feel locked in and solid when not rotated all the way, and the bulb will give off a different lighting pattern if its not in the proper position.

I changed mine and the one side wasnt rotated all the way, cutting off a lot of light behind the shutter and creating a weird lighting pattern.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dealer told me there is nothing that can be done. Good thing we have the service report so (god forbid) if anything happens to my wife or another family then I have a leg to stand on for blame.

v/r
Roger
2014 XLT Ruby Red
It is the way they are. You are not the only one to have noticed this. There are similar posts about the headlights on this forum.

Peter

I just re-aimed my lights and no one has high beamed me back so far. I re-aimed them to be shooting the light straight out versus towards the ground and the visibility is so much better. Been to emissions several times and haven't been told to re-aim them. Visibility has improved so much and I can actually see signs now. So if you deem them too low, re-aim them a little higher unless if your state is really strict about it. Just don't aim them to where it aims upward.

It is the way they are. You are not the only one to have noticed this. There are similar posts about the headlights on this forum.

Peter

What's my the step? Live with it or fix it! I don't want to live with it I just want it fix

v/r
Roger
2014 explorer XLT Ruby Red

What's my the step? Live with it or fix it! I don't want to live with it I just want it fix

v/r
Roger
2014 explorer XLT Ruby Red
Well, as 1995E mentioned in his post, you can try to adjust them. They only have vertical adjustments. The horizontal is fixed. As for the cut-off, that is the nature of the lights. You won't get rid of it. Even the HID lamps have the same type of pattern.
When I had a vehicle with halogens, one of my first steps was to replace the OEM bulbs with brighter ones. The downside to that is a reduced lifespan of the bulbs.

Peter

i just bought a 2013 and have the same concerns - it seems the high beams are way high and left and regular lights show about 4 feet ahead. the dealer hasn't been able to fix it yet - I'm interested if you had any answers yet

i just bought a 2013 and have the same concerns - it seems the high beams are way high and left and regular lights show about 4 feet ahead. the dealer hasn't been able to fix it yet - I'm interested if you had any answers yet

Any news from the dealer today, chadp? What's the current mileage on your Explorer? I'll research some ways to assist. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Any news from the dealer today, chadp? What's the current mileage on your Explorer? I'll research some ways to assist. :thumbsup:

Crystal

20,000 miles. thank you. the dealer that i bought the car is not the same as my local dealer. The local dealer covered the initial adjustment attempt as a warranty covered issue. It did not seem like they were willing to do more under warranty because the lights had been tampered with. so, i really want to be educated with some real world info when i go back.

20,000 miles. thank you. the dealer that i bought the car is not the same as my local dealer. The local dealer covered the initial adjustment attempt as a warranty covered issue. It did not seem like they were willing to do more under warranty because the lights had been tampered with. so, i really want to be educated with some real world info when i go back.

Send me your info in a PM, chadp; I'll get your regional customer service manager involved. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I have moved your thread to the Stock 5th Gen Sub Forum.

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Can you elaborate on how it was tampered with?

the dealer did not say. i found out the owner had put in HID bulbs and they had been changed back out for the sale. I had posted whether previously questioning if the HID bulbs could have damaged the housing ect. Other forums members had not thought so. I have not tried to change bulbs in this truck before. Is this a process that someone could damage the alignment?

the dealer did not say. i found out the owner had put in HID bulbs and they had been changed back out for the sale. I had posted whether previously questioning if the HID bulbs could have damaged the housing ect. Other forums members had not thought so. I have not tried to change bulbs in this truck before. Is this a process that someone could damage the alignment?

It depends on how the previous owner executed his HID modification. The projectors for halogens and HID headlights are different, even though they "look" the same from the outside. Some people can't tell whether an Explorer has HIDs or halogens until they turn them on.

Now one way the owner could have done a HID modification is by (in the simplest terms) removing the halogen bulb, and replacing it with an HID bulb. Some HID kits require some rewiring, while others are simply plug and play. But doing this method has lead to problems in headlights being too bright and blinding, incorrect light refractions and coverage, etc.

The other way the owner could have done the mod (and to remedy some of the problems above) is by removing the halogen bulb AND the halogen assembly/projector within the headlight assembly/housing, and replacing the halogen parts with HID counterparts (ie bulbs, projector, etc). To do this, he would have had to bake the headlights, remove the lens, take the headlight apart, and make the changes. If this were the case, then I strongly believe this would have voided any warranty.

If the dealer did not say, then I would at least challenge the dealer's with-holding of that information. If you want work to be done, and all he can say is "it looks like this part was tampered with" and would not elaborate, I would press more for information.

Since your headlights are not aligning properly, I would also check to see if any of the headlight tabs are broken or if the headlight is seated properly. Aside from mechanical things inside the light from screwing up the alignment, the whole headlight could be crooked too. Confirm with the dealer that the whole headlight assembly is straight and proper. Then you can narrow it down to alignment issues being caused by the projector assembly, etc on the inside.

thanks for the details. the dealer will be looking at it on Wednesday. i believe the previous owner just plugged in the new bulbs, no modifications. i pressed them on the tampered issue, they backed off a bit and think it may be a structural issue and would be under warranty. i will post the outcome

Crystal

My wife purchased a new 2014 Explorer XLT.....same problems. This car is not safe to drive after dark as there is very little illumination from the left headlight to light the area of the road left of a road's centerline. A person, animal, or object will not be clearly visible until it is too late. With no horizontal adjustment there is little that can be done in my opinion. When engaging the high beams, a narrow band of light approximately six feet wide and reaching sixty feet in height is centered over the hood. This high beam setting is totally useless as it does not improve illumination of the roadway but might be great for coon hunting (there is no intent to be facetious). With the headlights set on low beam setting, one cannot, on approach, read oncoming road signs as the only area which is illuminated is the signpost itself. I own a 2003 Explorer XLT and the headlight illumination is ten times better than what is installed on the 2014 model. These headlights are an accident waiting to happen. What if anything can Ford do to replace or modify this headlight assembly so that proper and safe illumination can be achieved?

I am making an appointment with the dealership to look at the situation, however, my expectation is that little if anything can be done to correct the purported deficiencies which I have identified. I would be interested to know what others have done to resolve this issue as it has been mentioned here previously.

Thanks,

I have not noticed anything like that in my 2014 XLT. As a matter of fact, I thought the lighting was very good. Better, in fact, than my Nissan Murano. I would like to see what folks are talking about. Maybe these are just defective lights.

Welcome to the Forum dixiedrifter.:wavey:
Some members have upgraded the bulbs while others have installed HID headlamps. The thing is that to install HID properly, you also have to change the internal reflector which means opening the entire housing. There are several threads on this in the Modified discussion sub forum. I would first have your dealer check them out to see if there is indeed a problem with the set up.

Peter

...I am making an appointment with the dealership to look at the situation...

Hi dixiedrifter,

Welcome! Getting your Explorer to the dealership is a great next step. Additionally, I'll be happy to loop in your regional customer service manager. Send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FWIW, I have factory HIDs on mine and the lighting/visibility is fine. Fine as in no issues to report regarding illumination period. I would think anyone with legitimate lighting concerns has something wrong with their particular Ex.

Back