Extended Service Plan (ESP) prices comparison thread | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extended Service Plan (ESP) prices comparison thread

Yes you can but I believe that since the warranty has expired, you will now have to buy a 'Used Car' ESP which is more expensive. That is what my dealer told me. If considering an ESP, it should be done while the factory warranty is still in effect to avoid the extra cost.

Peter

100% correct.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3rd Party Warranty

I am purchasing a 2016 Explorer Sport and they are recommending a 3rd party ESP from Century Warranty. A Labor Day special of $1248.00 off the regular price of $2659.00. 5 years 60K miles.

They claim that is the better way to go, as you can go to ANY dealership for warranty repairs and it covers the same as the Premium.

HELP:exp:

I wouldn't suggest any extended warranty besides an actual Ford ESP. I wouldn't go with a 3rd part warranty if that's what was suggested. I'm also not sure how a 3rd party warranty would be accepted at any dealer. You can buy a genuine Ford ESP online at a very discounted price. Flood Ford is one of the cheapest. Just plug in your model and then choose the Premium Care tab and you will see the prices depending on the deductible of your choice. The lower the deductible the higher the price. www.floodfordesp.com

I am purchasing a 2016 Explorer Sport and they are recommending a 3rd party ESP from Century Warranty. A Labor Day special of $1248.00 off the regular price of $2659.00. 5 years 60K miles.

They claim that is the better way to go, as you can go to ANY dealership for warranty repairs and it covers the same as the Premium.

See posts 137 and 144. Don't buy a 3rd party ESP.

Peter

Forget the ESP?

I am buying a 2016 Explorer Sport. I had asked about the 3rd party warranty. I am now convinced not to get it, but..........

I just don't understand with the ESP you get whatever, say 6 years and so many miles. Well it starts with the original miles. Isn't that double coverage the first 3 years?

I don't think I will even get any extra kind of coverage, at least not until I have come to the end of the original manufacturers warranty. After all after 3 years I will probably be ready to trade it in anyway. :) Dee

Do not fall for their crap. Read through my posts on how 3rd parties work.

1)requires pre-approval
2)does not pay for diagnostics
3)may not use oem
4)may use used parts from junk yards.
5)usually requires you to maintain all maintenance records.

Buy Ford ESPs only. They try to sell 3rd parties because they have a bigger markup.

You can get a 6yr, 125k for around $1,850 with $100 deductible and 1st day rental.

Best example of 3rd party. My Audioslave at had a radiator leak.. warranty company approved a Chinese radiator to save $42. I opted to pay the $42 and put in an oem radiator. They are nothing but weasels....

I am buying a 2016 Explorer Sport. I had asked about the 3rd party warranty. I am now convinced not to get it, but..........

I just don't understand with the ESP you get whatever, say 6 years and so many miles. Well it starts with the original miles. Isn't that double coverage the first 3 years?

I don't think I will even get any extra kind of coverage, at least not until I have come to the end of the original manufacturers warranty. After all after 3 years I will probably be ready to trade it in anyway. :) Dee

You get 1st day rental which is a huge plus. But yes, double/overlapping coverage. You can also cancel and get a prorated amount back if you sell the vehicle.

Hello all, after. Joel from Two Rivers Ford here. I am the guy that blwnsmk so graciously refers you kind people to.

I figured after 4 or 5 years of him sending opportunities my way I should at least stick my head in the door of one of these forums and introduce myself.

When Brian and I first meant I was the Finance Director here. Now I have moved on to the Sales & Marketing Department for the dealership, but still field quote request from the folks Brian sends my way. Some times it just takes a day or two.

For a guy I wouldn't know if he walked in the front door Brian has certainly been very kind in the referrals he has sent my way. I probably sell 20-30 a year to folks like you all off of different forums.

Feel free to shoot me a message with the following and I will get a quote. to you. jhawley@tworiversford.com

VIN
State you live in
Miles
Commercial use yes/no
time/mileage of plan you would like

If you live in Florida I will be happy to sell you a plan but I cannot discount the price off of list as in that state the warranty is regulated like an insurance product.

In the mean time I would be happy to answer any questions.

Hello all, after. Joel from Two Rivers Ford here. I am the guy that blwnsmk so graciously refers you kind people to.

I figured after 4 or 5 years of him sending opportunities my way I should at least stick my head in the door of one of these forums and introduce myself.

When Brian and I first meant I was the Finance Director here. Now I have moved on to the Sales & Marketing Department for the dealership, but still field quote request from the folks Brian sends my way. Some times it just takes a day or two.

For a guy I wouldn't know if he walked in the front door Brian has certainly been very kind in the referrals he has sent my way. I probably sell 20-30 a year to folks like you all off of different forums.

Feel free to shoot me a message with the following and I will get a quote. to you. jhawley@tworiversford.com

VIN
State you live in
Miles
Commercial use yes/no
time/mileage of plan you would like

If you live in Florida I will be happy to sell you a plan but I cannot discount the price off of list as in that state the warranty is regulated like an insurance product.

In the mean time I would be happy to answer any questions.

Had to do a double take when I saw the screen name Joel lol.

10 year, 120,000km extended bumper to bumper warranty. $2900 CAD. Win?

I am planning on getting my '17 Platinum in the next 4-6 weeks (don't get me started on whether to wait for the '18s!) and wonder whether I should get either the Extended Warranty or a Service Contract or both. Any idea what these things cost?

Only time to find out is at the time of purchase and they could be negotiated. I believe they may vary on the location and dealer itself. I doubt you're going to get a definitive answer.

We got our 2017 Platinum about a month ago and decided to get the ESP. There are several dealers that will sell the ESPs online (Ziegler, Flood Ford, Anderson & Koch, etc) for reasonable prices and they give you quotes instantly. Our dealer was pushing a 3rd party extended warranty. I told the finance guy that I only wanted the Ford ESP and I was only willing to pay X amount for it. He said there was no way he could even come close to X. His "rock bottom" price was almost 50% higher than what I actually paid. For Platinum the ESP is actually a pretty good deal. The trim level does not factor into the price so, in way, those purchasing ESPs for lower trims are subsidizing those of us who are getting the Sport and Platinums. The prices are reasonable enough that I felt it was a no-brainer.

With all the electronics on new vehicles the extended warranty is a no brainier. If just one electronic component fails odds are it will pay for the warranty if you are out of the basic warranty.

Service contract is up to you and it depends on what you are going to pay for it. If you drive a lot and do frequent oil changes at around 10,000 miles it might pay but I decided not to get it. I can do my own oil changes in my driveway in about 10 minutes and am only driving around 10K a year.

I am planning on getting my '17 Platinum in the next 4-6 weeks (don't get me started on whether to wait for the '18s!) and wonder whether I should get either the Extended Warranty or a Service Contract or both. Any idea what these things cost?
Your thread has been merged with this one on the ESP. I would suggest that you take a serious look at the seller that blwnsmoke recommends. $100 over invoice and 24 months no interest, the last time I read a post about him. As for Maintenance/Service contracts have a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/are-maintenance-plans-worth-it.316352/
BTW, the 2018 likely won't hit the lots until mid December of thereabouts.:)

Peter

Your thread has been merged with this one on the ESP. I would suggest that you take a serious look at the seller that blwnsmoke recommends. $100 over invoice and 24 months no interest, the last time I read a post about him. As for Maintenance/Service contracts have a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/are-maintenance-plans-worth-it.316352/

Peter

Peter
I was researching Extended Service Plans (extended warranties - they do make it sound like the prepaid maintenance plan) on my '16 Explorer Limited, it was "born" in October of 2015 and now has 24.5k miles on it.

(this is my unrelated tirade) After trading in cars every few years, plus working with a woman who's husband was a Finance Manager at a Ford dealer, I got a big scoop of info on exactly how they pile on the profit (once you agree on a price with the salesman (person) and a price for your trade-in (the game has already started and the profit has already started piling up), have you ever noticed how there is then a lag before seeing the Finance Manager (s/he's pre-filling all the high profit papers - paint protection, warranties, VIN etching, better security system, tire protection, on and on) so when you go into their office, they just start handing you papers to sign, "this is for this, this paper covers this" etc with very little explanation and little talk of pricing until the end. THAT is where they get you and I've been tired enough and stupid enough to fall into that trap. When I bought this Explorer, we agreed on a price for the purchase, a trade-in price (yes, I lost money, but it had just been repaired from being rear-ended with $8500 damage so I knew I'd lose on that), the salesman asked if that was acceptable, and I very clearly said yes, as long as NOTHING was added on during the finance part - not one thing. Easiest and fastest time through financing EVER! BTW, I bought this from a Fiat dealer! I will say, I've dealt with some extremely high pressure Finance Managers before - I actually had a man yelling at me for refusing an ESP (I was buying a 2 year old Ford from a Chevy dealer!) and I would have walked out - but when I want a different car, I will take months looking for just the right one with just the right accessories I want and this car was the one!

For Extended Warranties, I thought I'd found a good price through Zeigler, with a 6 year, 100k mile policy at $1450. Remember, my car already is 1.5 years old so 6 years only takes it to October, 2021. I don't drive much so I'm not worried about the mileage. I almost went with the 75k mile policy but that cut it close.

blwnsmoke suggested Two Rivers Ford, talk to Joel. I did and actually, I JUST sent him the agreement for 6 year (72 month), 100k mile warranty for $1415. Not a whole lot cheaper than Zeigler (I always think of the movie, Moulin Rouge, from that name!) but money is money, plus he was referred by a member from here. Since Two Rivers is in Tennessee and I'm in Arizona, there is no sales tax. The plan also includes 1st day rental and interior/exterior lighting (not that a bulb costs a lot).

For Extended Warranties, I don't know if they're cheaper if you buy them when new or wait until the 3 year/36k mile policy is almost expired. And I know there's a LOT of debate about whether they're worth it but jeez, just look at how involved the more loaded cars are. Power windows alone can cost $400-500 for repair (my last car - 2013 Edge - was in twice for the sunroof track coming apart, and I barely used it! It was still under warranty, purchased new) my 2006 Explorer, just out of warranty and no ESP, needed a new Engine Exhaust Manifold. I'm sure many of you could diagnose that and fix it yourself - but not me. It was almost $600. I don't even want to think about how much Sync/MFT might cost. I'm good at figuring out and repairing some things but nothing mechanical on a large scale. I don't, however, purchase Extended Warranties on anything but cars though. Did you know you can buy protection for a BLU-RAY DISC at Best Buy? Hey, you never know when you might drop it in a pile of diamonds and scratch it all up!

As for the Maintenance Policy, I did purchase that once. My 2013 Edge was brand new, the Ford dealer was kissing my butt because they royally screwed something up on another car, so they gave me a good price. Knowing that a 6 month oil change, etc costs around $50 - more for the bigger check ups - I ran the numbers and, IF you take the car in precisely on time, it did save a bit of money - but remember, this was on a price deal they offered. It was nice taking the car in for service, then driving off while paying nothing - but I wouldn't do that again.

So, after a novel of a post, that's my take on Extended Warranties and Maintenance Plans. I do want to thank blwnsmoke for his referral, I like saving money as much as anyone else!

I was researching Extended Service Plans (extended warranties - they do make it sound like the prepaid maintenance plan) on my '16 Explorer Limited, it was "born" in October of 2015 and now has 24.5k miles on it.

blwnsmoke suggested Two Rivers Ford, talk to Joel. I did and actually, I JUST sent him the agreement for 6 year (72 month), 100k mile warranty for $1415. Not a whole lot cheaper than Zeigler (I always think of the movie, Moulin Rouge, from that name!) but money is money, plus he was referred by a member from here. Since Two Rivers is in Tennessee and I'm in Arizona, there is no sales tax. The plan also includes 1st day rental and interior/exterior lighting (not that a bulb costs a lot).

I got a quote from him as well, for my 2013, with 56k on it. I can go to 5yr/75k, and I'm going to be paying $2160. So, earlier is definitely better.

I got a quote from him as well, for my 2013, with 56k on it. I can go to 5yr/75k, and I'm going to be paying $2160. So, earlier is definitely better.
YIKES!!! I had purchased a 2013 Edge Limited brand new in Dec 2012. Long story short, I wasn't planning on buying a brand new car OR an Edge - I was there to buy a 2011 Explorer Limited (TOTALLY loaded - I mean, everything!) they were "holding" for me over Christmas, which they sold on Christmas Eve (I was there the day before, offered them hold-money, "Not needed, we're good - I'VE GOT THE KEYS", he says) so they knocked $6k off this Edge Limited, nicely loaded. Since I still planned on getting an Explorer some day - and I rarely keep cars more than a few years anyway - I didn't get a warranty. As we got closer to the 3 year mark, we kept saying "we need to buy a warranty" but never did. Thankfully, I got majorly rear-ended this past September - car was in the body shop for just shy of 4 weeks with $8500 damage. I say thankfully, because that was enough excuse to talk my spouse into trading it in for the Explorer I'd wanted all along anyway! Things work in mysterious ways!! Only thing is, now that I DO have what I've always wanted, I've already been told "NO MORE CARS!", hence why we're getting the warranty :)

$2,160 for 19,000 miles is crazy IMO. I'd pocket the money and set it aside. If you were talking 100k or 125k, that is a different story.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$2,160 for 19,000 miles is crazy IMO. I'd pocket the money and set it aside. If you were talking 100k or 125k, that is a different story.

That's the length of warranty from today, so it would take me to 2022/131k.

Back