• Register Today It's free!

First oil change advice

STwannaB

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Platinum
I’m going to be taking a long road trip of about 3k miles or so in a few weeks and my 2021 platinum will have only just over 3300 miles on it prior to the trip. I know the Oil change interval is something like 8k miles on these things now; but wondering if anyone has done their first oil change prior to that mileage Or if people generally would recommend changing the oil sooner for the first change anymore (I know that used to be a thing)? If so, Would you change the oil before or after the trip? vehicle was bought 5 months ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

id consult the owners manual, they usually have the intervals there :D old school 3k oil change fan here though :D

I would change oil & filter now, before the trip.
I have about 3,500 miles on my '21 with the V6 and it's 6 months old and I'm changing the oil/filter this weekend.
I'm changing now based on the age of the oil (6 months) and the winter weather conditions we experience in Western New York.
I do not drive many miles annually so I change oil/filter at 6 month intervals.
I'm also using Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil based on recommendations from my mechanic.
https://www.amsoil.com/p/signature-series-5w-30-synthetic-motor-oil-asl/

You don’t need to change it based on mileage, but with six months and only 3300 miles on a DD I would change it based on time.

You are obviously doing a lot of short trips, and in the winter the temp changes can cause moisture buildup in the crankcase. Moisture often combines with oil to form a milky looking residue. It is unlikely you will hurt anything by running it up to 6k before a change, but changing it now will reduce the possibility of sludge forming from moisture and inadequate warmup.

My 2021 Limited Hybrid AWD is at 42% @ 4,708 is going to the dealer today. Six months old all short trips looks black time to change. If all hell breaks out they might ration it.

Let's Go Brandon

I’m going to be taking a long road trip of about 3k miles or so in a few weeks and my 2021 platinum will have only just over 3300 miles on it prior to the trip. I know the Oil change interval is something like 8k miles on these things now; but wondering if anyone has done their first oil change prior to that mileage Or if people generally would recommend changing the oil sooner for the first change anymore (I know that used to be a thing)? If so, Would you change the oil before or after the trip? vehicle was bought 5 months ago.
The way I see it, you basically have 2 choices for a scheduled oil change. Ford's 10k mile/1 year oil change, going by the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor, or your own.
This subject seems to keep coming up time after time. Other than exceeding the manufacturer's, I don't see any issue by changing it whenever you want. Everyone has their own opinions on this matter.

Peter

I would change oil & filter now, before the trip.
I have about 3,500 miles on my '21 with the V6 and it's 6 months old and I'm changing the oil/filter this weekend.
I'm changing now based on the age of the oil (6 months) and the winter weather conditions we experience in Western New York.
I do not drive many miles annually so I change oil/filter at 6 month intervals.
I'm also using Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil based on recommendations from my mechanic.
https://www.amsoil.com/p/signature-series-5w-30-synthetic-motor-oil-asl/
Hey, we are practically neighbors and with the exact same year, color, and trim Explorer! I’m in West Seneca. Yeah, my wife mainly drives it and she’s been out on maternity leave since we bought the car so we haven’t driven it much. More short trips than anything. Thanks for the advice I’ll definitely change It. Curious what’s the advantage of amsoil vs the Ford motorcraft synthetic at the dealers? I have all those reward points to use lol

amsoil may be a slightly better oil (i look favorably upon it(it also won projects farm testing iirc)), but any good name brand synthetic should be fine, as the differences are usually minute imo...

I always buy Ford motorcraft oil and filters, since I’ve never seen an article that complained about the quality. Their filters used to be made by Purolator, but I’m not sure anymore. I found that it’s just easier to buy what Ford recommends for routine maintenance.

Hey, we are practically neighbors and with the exact same year, color, and trim Explorer! I’m in West Seneca. Yeah, my wife mainly drives it and she’s been out on maternity leave since we bought the car so we haven’t driven it much. More short trips than anything. Thanks for the advice I’ll definitely change It. Curious what’s the advantage of amsoil vs the Ford motorcraft synthetic at the dealers? I have all those reward points to use lol
I'm told Amsoil protects all aspects of an engine very well and perhaps all good quality name brand full synthetics do the same. I've trusted my mechanic's recommendations for many years and will follow his advise on this too. I'm in Lancaster now however I grew up in West Seneca, the streets behind Southgate plaza near the soccer field. That was many many years ago. Congratulations are in order for you too.
Did you pickup your Explorer from West Herr?

I changed mine at 1,000 miles to have the UPR drain valve put in Amazon product ASIN B081D6RB2V I then changed it again at 6K, I go on the 5K intervals.

I'm told Amsoil protects all aspects of an engine very well and perhaps all good quality name brand full synthetics do the same. I've trusted my mechanic's recommendations for many years and will follow his advise on this too. I'm in Lancaster now however I grew up in West Seneca, the streets behind Southgate plaza near the soccer field. That was many many years ago. Congratulations are in order for you too.
Did you pickup your Explorer from West Herr?
i like amsoil too, but ive realized (for me) mobil1 has worked in my sohc since new and its still chugging at 320k...

If you do change it, do so at least two weeks prior to beginning the trip. NEVER change it on the way out of town, that's a recipe for disaster. I would wait 'til I got back. Highway mileage is the best for the oil - it gets hot and stays hot.

Change it immediately if you plan on keeping it long-term; I would have performed the 1st change at 1,000 miles. Then change every 5,000 from here on out; which is also a perfect time to do a tire rotation. Find an oil you like and stick with it!
-Cheers!

You can never do your first oil change too soon.

All the talk about oil with a single mention of filter.
The biggest issue with oil is the filter will be done before the oil is. Do an oil sample to a lab like blackstone. They'll tell you if you can go longer between intervals. Most filters are done by 3500 miles then they bypass the check valve. Which means your running unfiltered oil.

Ford says that you don't have to change the oil for break in purposes. Sure if you like buying new cars often. Getting the break in oil out removes all the micro pieces of metal that wore off in the initial start up. The more it stays the more it creates.
I changed the oil out 4 times before 1500 miles. Then took it in for the 5k oil change the dealership wanted to do it at.
Some of my performance cars that I've sent oil in after they reached 10k had metal specs of and engine with 3 times the milage. For performance it makes a difference in horse power.

Ford uses their synthetic blend oil which is good for about 5k-6k milage wise.

Good luck

I would change it now, then every 5K (easy to remember, 10K, 15K, 20K, etc.) or twice a year (in the spring before summer and in the fall before winter), if your not putting on many miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm old school. I change the oil (and filter) on a brand new vehicle at 1,000 miles and again at 5,000 miles; thereafter every 5,000 miles. I always use full synthetic (Mobil 1 is my choice). Texas is frequently a dry, dusty, hot land...things that don't play nice with an engine. So I subscribe to this logic: it is impossible to demonstrate the value of preventive maintenance. But it is possible to demonstrate the folly from delayed/unperformed maintenance. Spending $75 on oil/filter every 5,000 miles (and rotating the tires at that same time) won't break me. But it might, just might, help me avoid problems at some future date. YMMV.

The Lizzard

Back