Fleet Explorer? in 2000? no PATs?

nonhog

Reaction score
City, State
Pacific N/W
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer sorta
I have a 5.0 engine swap project going on. I have a mismatch of parts that
will slow me down and hopefully not stop me.

Engine is 1999
PCM, wireharness & trans is 2000
Also have a 97 PCM (if it makes life easier)

Was on the phone with my local dealer about removing PATS. Of course they wont/cant? I know it can be done. James Henson(?)

They mentioned finding a fleet Explorers that came w/o PATs.
Will that be like a needle in a haystack?
Google was of no help.

Just looking at all my options before I start sending off parts and spending money.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mid year in 97 is when pats came out, if i am not wrong. if you get a sct tuner, james can program it out. your problem is going to be with the pcm. you have one for a return fuel system, and everything else is returnless.

Just take the pats key, pop it open, pull out the chip and tape it on the inside of the trim covering your steering column. Then have regular keys cut.

mid year in 97 is when pats came out, if i am not wrong. if you get a sct tuner, james can program it out. your problem is going to be with the pcm. you have one for a return fuel system, and everything else is returnless.

So the early PCM may have PATS also?
If I have to tune anything might as well keep the 2000 PCM?

So the early PCM may have PATS also?
If I have to tune anything might as well keep the 2000 PCM?

it may have pats. but as i said, it will be for a return style fuel system, which you dont have.

it may have pats. but as i said, it will be for a return style fuel system, which you dont have.

Yes I understand the CPS, fuel rails, injectors and harness are not the same.
As I try to figure the best way to get it running. Swapping those items is not that far fetched.

Then I heard about the fleet Explorer not having PATS. So I'm wondering do I have 3 options?

Thanks for the response this is all new to me and sinking in slowly! LOL

Not sure if that is true. My '99. May have been considered a fleet as it was a XL lease for a electrial or alarm company. Racked up over 80k in the first 3 years of it's life. But it has pats, but no keyless entry system.

You might be better off trying to find a 98-01 5.0 donor and having everything available to you.

Back