Flywheel to block spacing - replacement engine trouble! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flywheel to block spacing - replacement engine trouble!

Well I don't know if I have good news. I didn't see as big of scratches as I was anticipating for the amount of noise that was coming out of the bellhousing area... but maybe it doesn't take much, that plate is like a drumhead so it may amplify small sound into BIIIG sound but I'm not sure.
My other issue is I found out that the matchmarks on the TC and the flexplate got all convoluted as a friend helped remove it.... now I don't know which matchmarks go where as there are multiple marks on the converter now. How important is it to have the TC and Flexplate in the exact position they came off? Could that even be my issue now?

The pictures below show the scratching, obviously the concentric scratches are the ones I'm wondering about, the others were from me testing bolts on the plate to see if it made the sound I was envisioning. They are NOT deep scratches
The plate did seem to bend out from the center a bit so I gave it a little force to flatten out more. Closed up for the night, I was too disheartened and needed more input on what my next step ought to be.
Thanks guys!

20191115_154107.jpg

20191115_154059.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

let me see the flexplate and spacer you are using
the scatter shield looks good
You can rotate the flexplate, spacer and converter however you wish
Meaning you do not have to keep them orientated together

geesh in the pics everything looks normal
Have any idea's/guesses what was causing the noise?

Judging by the photos, the ring rear teeth on the flexplate are coming in contact with the spacer plate. The forward facing edge (starter side) of the teeth on the flexplate look shiny as if they have been contacting something, normally, they should not show any signs of wear on that surface.

good eye

I did measure the spacer and it does seem to match the after market dimensions of .875" thick. That side of the teeth are what contracts the starter and that's the stock flexplate, would it not show some shiny wear?

I did measure the spacer and it does seem to match the after market dimensions of .875" thick. That side of the teeth are what contracts the starter and that's the stock flexplate, would it not show some shiny wear?
That's what I was thinking

I have some flex plates downstairs we can compare to ill go look at the teeth

Well I've got nothing else I can think of too look at. I got the plate as flat as I possibly can so I'll plan on putting the engine back in tomorrow or tuesday and see how things turn out.

.875 or .75" which is it supposed to be?

I have a 4.0 and flexplate with auto trans downstairs but they are still married, if I need to I can remove the trans?

. This has 250k on it

20191118_101521.jpg

20191118_101427.jpg

put your flexplate on a very level surface , like a granite countertop ( use waxed paper under it) and see if it is warped. No light should be visible anywhere around the ring gear.

I know it's a 8 bolt the purpose was to show the ring gear wear I think his wear is normal

Ah, Gotcha.

From the sound in video and the witness marks on the separator plate I think it's hitting.

About the plate. Something tells me if the trans and or engine is swapped the plate that was with it must be used. Not sure if it is matched to the trans or the engine. Need some input here.

we are checking the depth of the spacer and also looking at them to compare wear marks on the teeth where they contact the starter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The spacer is .875 with the center lip that sticks out and .75 without.
The plate is from the original engine, no plate came with the new one

Back