Solved - Ford Explorer 5 speed conversion - Going Full Manual | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Ford Explorer 5 speed conversion - Going Full Manual

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
LOL! Yeah looks pretty strange right now. I will probably leave the bezel alone as I don't mind the E-switch being there. Maybe place a custom sticker over the lettering saying something weird or funny? Like..

Ass / Cash / Grass

Haha!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use one of the positions of that old e-switch as the ignition interlock.. Have to set it to 4x4 low to get it to start.. Between that and the extra pedal (or extra shifter depending on how you look at it) will confuse anyone that shouldn't be driving it.

~Mark

Use one of the positions of that old e-switch as the ignition interlock.. Have to set it to 4x4 low to get it to start.. Between that and the extra pedal (or extra shifter depending on how you look at it) will confuse anyone that shouldn't be driving it.

~Mark

That is a really great idea there. :thumbsup:

Too bad I haven't a clue right now how to do that! lol :p:

There is one in the Explorer at the junkyard I got the harness and computer out of it. Can get it for like $30 but I dont think I can get it in a flat rate box for you. lol

That be great, but it is definitely too big too ship for the costs. I am sure one will pop up here eventually closer to home. Who knows when though. No hurry for that.

Really appreciate the help on the other items :thumbsup:

I have another complete auto steering column, I need to start finding homes for all this stuff piling up lately :rolleyes:

That be great, but it is definitely too big too ship for the costs. I am sure one will pop up here eventually closer to home. Who knows when though. No hurry for that.

I'll keep look out for one on my travels. I'll let you know if I find one.

Shipping charges would be cheap (It'll cost you dinner) and delivered to to door in a not so timely way.

I'll keep look out for one on my travels. I'll let you know if I find one.

Shipping charges would be cheap (It'll cost you dinner) and delivered to to door in a not so timely way.

Frigging sweet! :thumbsup:

That means dinner at Smorr after some wheeling :D

Better dress warm. Might be a little chilly in January.

Thanks to FoxRacin, the manual ECM, engine, trans harness from the same 95 vehicle arrived a few mins ago.

If it ever stops raining here, hopefully I can start on installing them tomorrow.

Thanks to FoxRacin, the manual ECM, engine, trans harness from the same 95 vehicle arrived a few mins ago.

If it ever stops raining here, hopefully I can start on installing them tomorrow.

Just for ***** and giggles just swap in that ECM and see if it runs. That way it will tell you if your other computer was jsut bad or if its still good also and its in the wiring harness.

Glad you got it now hurry up and get it swapped in. lol

If you need anything else let me know.

Just for ***** and giggles just swap in that ECM and see if it runs. That way it will tell you if your other computer was jsut bad or if its still good also and its in the wiring harness.

Glad you got it now hurry up and get it swapped in. lol

If you need anything else let me know.

:thumbsup:

Will do.

Swapped the ECM's. No longer in limp mode. Engine runs great, and the RPM issue is gone. Seems the manual ECM keeps the RPM's up higher (1100)as the clutch is engaged for a few seconds before it drops to idle RPM's (600). No more flashing O/D light.

I do not have a working speedo with just the ECM swap. I decided to swap the Ranger (2wd) man trans harness out for the 95 EX man trans harness. The main harness connectors do not mate. The auto and manual connectors are opposite of each other as far as the plastic connectors are made. The slots & tabs are 180* of each other. Why the 95 Ranger trans harness mates, I haven't a clue.

So it is either swap the engine harness for a working speedo, or live without it. The only thing I can think of is that maybe when I spliced in the longer wires to extend the VSS pigtail, is that I screwed it up somehow. I only used crimp connectors as I didn't think low voltage would matter on that type of connection.

Just for future reference:
(Stock / works, but in limp mode)
95 EX 4x4 auto ECM 60 pin.....................FIG 2............EEC-IV.............SMD 271
.............................F5TF-12A650-ARC...................G 5B20

(1st replacement / crank, no start)
95 EX 4X4 manual ECM 60 pin.................OWE 2..........EEC-IV.............SMD 371
.............................F57F-12A650-CC.....................G NPF 5E162

(2nd replacement / works)
95 EX 4X4 manual ECM 60 pin.................LDZO...........EEC-IV..............SMD 371
.............................F5PF-12A650-ARA....................G NPF 6J231

Does anybody think swapping plastic connectors will work?

My line of thought here is to simply place the pins in the exact same positions in the other connector and use it. With out changing the engine harness, will this matter and will they still go to the correct pins on the ECM?

The VSS and the O2 wires are in different places on the ranger harness. I believe this is why I have no speedo now. So with that thought, I feel if I use the trans harness that came with the new ECM, it will correct it.

Is my thinking flawed here?

You can do that.

The pins should be the same size. Just make sure to pay attention to which pin goes where and do one at a time. Labeling them prior to removal would help also.

OK, I did the connector housing swap (pins in same locations)and installed the newer trans harness.

Still no speedo :( I had to try at least.

So, the engine harness is going to have to be swapped. For now it is running fine.

Getting closer to getting it figured out. Glad the computer worked for you.

Was the speedo working with the stock computer in limp mode and ranger trans harness?

Yes it was. Stopped working with newer ECM.

I just figured the pins on the newer ECM were different and the VSS signal wasn't being read. Thinking the matching trans harness would have taken care of it, but nope, nadda, no way Jose, zilch, scratch, not happening, etc....

When I feel like attacking the engine harness swap, it should resolve any issues. I was trying to cheat by not doing it, but my life does not work that way. It has to be the hard way on everything I do. :rolleyes:

Edit: After some realization here, the ECM is the same pin out on each model ECM. The programing in them are changed from one another. The harness's are what are different.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back