ford explorer sas build? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ford explorer sas build?

ok im not sure this goes here new to this site and all usaully hang out at pirate4x4 but some pointed me here for a answer to my ?'s.

Ok so my buddy has a 2wd ford explorer and is wanting to turn it 4x4 and do a sas on it. this is the first ford that im gunna really "play" with so plz no flaming. What im planing is a 44 front and 9 rear is this a good start do far? hes wanting 33's to 35's so yeah. Can i use the coils and buckets from a say a 70's model bronco or something of the sort and the traction bars running from the 44 to the frame? and as for the tranny and tranfer case should i hunt for a doner 4x4 of the explorer or can i use a comethin like a c-4 or 6 and 203 tansfercase? If i go this way am i gunna have a prob like on the chevys with the VSS? im tried searching for threads on here and googled and yahooed some place but they all have started with 4x4s so any help and ides would be great. o its a v-6 engine

Check out the sas forum I know there is at least one 2wd converted to 4wd. What year is the Ex . If it uses a spedo chain with a gear just relocate it to the new case you will need a longer spedo chain. That is what I did and it works fine. If it is later and runs off of the reluctor ring in the differential you will have to rig up something like IZwack did in his sas thread. But your swap will be essentialy like a 4wd except ypu need a trans and x-fer case. Good luck.

Back