• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump or pcm

93BlueDemon

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
93XLT 5 speed
I thought I had a fuel pump problem but now I’m wondering if it could be pcm related
I disconnected fuel line no fuel no air hisses out
Turned the key nothing…. About 10 seconds later the pump came on and squirted fuel continuously not stopping. I tried doing a koeo test. All I got was 3 quick flashes then a constant check engine light. I can hear the pump running continuously anyone have any idea what could be going on here? To my knowledge it’s the original pump with 220k miles on it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the fuel line disconnected I don't think the pump will turn off since it doesn't sense pressure. Connections in the relay box under the hood can become corroded over time, in harsh environments. I would check there.

With the fuel line disconnected I don't think the pump will turn off since it doesn't sense pressure. Connections in the relay box under the hood can become corroded over time, in harsh environments. I would check there.
I thought the prime cycle was timed. Might be wrong

Which year explorer? If 93, remove pcm and look inside. I believe the problem will be obvious if there is one. The capacitors in the fuel pump circuit may be leaking or swollen out of the plastic shrink label

Fuel line is connected now pump still runs continuously maybe just not building enough pressure. I was pretty sure it would be the pump until I tried doing the koeo after that wasn’t working I thought it could be pcm related

I’ll take the pcm out and have a look at it.

How would you go about opening the pcm up without damaging it?

Tested my fuel pressure. It slowly climbed up the gauge to 20 after trying to start it went down to 10 so I’m guessing my pump just isn’t putting out enough pressure

Looks like it might be the pcm after all. Too bad I already dropped my fuel tank. I opened up the pcm and it smells like burnt electric all three blue capacitors have discolation around them and one was barely still connected

Looks like it might be the pcm after all. Too bad I already dropped my fuel tank. I opened up the pcm and it smells like burnt electric all three blue capacitors have discolation around them and one was barely still connected
Haven't repaired one myself, but several people have. Do you have soldering skills?

Looks like it might be the pcm after all. Too bad I already dropped my fuel tank. I opened up the pcm and it smells like burnt electric all three blue capacitors have discolation around them and one was
88DDD98D-B7BA-40DC-AFA0-445721853C26.jpeg
barely connected

Never done any soldering but I am employed as a welder. Rockauto has pcms for around 100 dollars. I might go that route take the gamble. another 1993 5 speed no egr computer will probably be hard to find all the junkyards around here don’t have much explorer stuff

Never done any soldering but I am employed as a welder. Rockauto has pcms for around 100 dollars. I might go that route take the gamble. another 1993 5 speed no egr computer will probably be hard to find all the junkyards around here don’t have much explorer stuff
If you want to try, I'd attempt the repair. No charge. I'm good at that kind of thing.

If you can acquire the needed capacitors, ship it to me.

First though I would like to see both sides of the circuit board.

I bet they are available on ebay, also might be a repair service there

Looks promising.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks very accessible for component replacement.

Earlier in life I used to place those tiny rectangle surface mount components for a living. I placed about 10,000 per day, by hand and soldered them in place. Resume good for you?

Back