Hartman's 20's arrive! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hartman's 20's arrive!

is it really that important to take rims off for winter? atleast in Northern va, there would be crap on the roads at time, but I wouldn't think enough to warrent taking rims off.

have to be extra special w/ chrome I'm guessing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

expo 5.0 -> you have any trouble with your rims in the winter?

can you put something on them to protect them? I'd rather not pay $1200 for rims/tires and then only have them on 6 months outta the year =P

well I plan on getting my rims in about 3 weeks, and I dont want to take them off again a month later =P

just wax the hell out of them. keep them relatively clean and waxed all throughout the winter. sorry, im not familiar with VA in the winter..... you guys get alot of road salt?

I plan on using Zoop Seal on mine. It's a sealer, so the rims will have an extra protection layer against brake dust, road grime, etc. I'm still going to take off my rims for the winter, and I have a number of reasons for this:

1. Even with the sealer, these things cost too much money to risk being ruined by road salt.

2. My tires are not meant for winter. They are a summer performance tire, and would be very crappy in the snow and ice.

3. If I keep the rims on and I catch a patch of ice in a parking lot or something and bang into a curb, I would be pretty much screwed.

Originally posted by Hartman
I plan on using Zoop Seal on mine. It's a sealer, so the rims will have an extra protection layer against brake dust, road grime, etc. I'm still going to take off my rims for the winter, and I have a number of reasons for this:

1. Even with the sealer, these things cost too much money to risk being ruined by road salt.

2. My tires are not meant for winter. They are a summer performance tire, and would be very crappy in the snow and ice.

3. If I keep the rims on and I catch a patch of ice in a parking lot or something and bang into a curb, I would be pretty much screwed.

If you bang into a curb I'd be more concerned about bending the axle..

Even a light hit would screw the rim up but wouldn't do anything to the axle. I'm talking low speeds.

Yeah because usually when you lose traction and catch a patch of ice..it won't normally be a 'soft' hit lol. Well at least from my experiences rolling over curbs. Had a few bend alignments..a tie rod busted...what normally happened was the wheel actually went over and it just ####ed up the alignment or some suspension parts..but yeah i can see with $$$ rims like that you can't risk it

my main concern is going to be when 'rents or something need to drive it one time and try to park and scrape against the curb... my aunt's mercede's rims are scratched up like no other. The two times I let someone drive my ex, that I wasn't in the car with them... they backed into a pole and the other ran over something big that put a nice gash in my front bumper.

Hartman... dont let anyone even open your driver's side door =P

You don't have to tell me. Nobody drives my truck except me and my dad (I know he'll be careful with it). If I had a family member with rims all scratched up, a Mercedes much less, they would not come within 10 feet of my truck.

Originally posted by espnfreak
If you bang into a curb I'd be more concerned about bending the axle..

Oh yes, axle bending. Lots of fun. Ask me how I know. Please. :rolleyes: :(

;)

Yea, I love it when my mom used to drive my car. I have the KKM, and when she would get back, she would always say "Stephen, your car is really nice, but its so darn loud" :D And thats when I tell her be thankful I don't have the 5.0 and exhaust :)

Originally posted by STANN
Yea, I love it when my mom used to drive my car. I have the KKM, and when she would get back, she would always say "Stephen, your car is really nice, but its so darn loud" :D And thats when I tell her be thankful I don't have the 5.0 and exhaust :)

Ha ha, my mom says the same thing. She says my truck is so loud, when all it has is just a Borla and a 4.0. Its not like I'm running some Flowmaster 40's on a Stang or a 5.4L F-150, lol

i let people drive mine all the time- mom and girlfriend (s) included

there's nothing quite like getting picked up after class by a hot girl in a hot truck like mine:D

Originally posted by expo5.0
i let people drive mine all the time- mom and girlfriend (s) included

there's nothing quite like getting picked up after class by a hot girl in a hot truck like mine:D

How often does your MOM pick you up from School?!?

its usually your mom actually... (or nnnicks)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really wouldn't call my MOM "hot". Hell, she is actally old and wrinkly. But if you are into that, I guess it's cool. I am happy for the both of you. LOL

Back