hatched91 4.0 5spd to v8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hatched91 4.0 5spd to v8

hey everyone, i am in the process of putting a v8 in my explorer.

Stock~4.0L OHV 110k miles with 5spd trans NON-pats 4wd transfer case

installing-5.0 with auto trans with awd

i installed the 5.0 with the wire harness, trans harness, and the computer.

4.0 pulled

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.0 in

It starts and runs! now here's the issues that i've found. On the harness that goes from the alternator to the starter solenoid, there is a plug that doesn't match up with the plug on the body. Also, there are two plugs on the air box side that have no 5.0 connectors going to them.

alternator connector

body plug on the drivers side

^^^x2

So uh, are you looking for a 4x4 transfer case or are you gonna drive it around all the time with the hubs locked in? :)

damn i was hoping for some responses as to my alternator problem. haha yes i plan to swap in a 4x4 transfer case, i havn't found any in the local boneyards yet. I'll keep it 2wd for now and just run no front driveshaft. I'll swap in the 4x4 case in about a month or so, but since this is my dd, i have to have something to use.

Do you have things from the 5.0 harness with nothing to go to them? Do you need some pics from a factory 5.0?

the only plug that the factory 5.0 engine wiring harness has that doesn't seem to fit up to my body is the alternator harness. I guess the pic that i would need is a picture of the plug that goes from the body and connects to the engine harness near the starter solenoid. The wire comes from the alternator and goes to the solenoid and has a plug that branches off and connects to the body (4 prong) i don't know where it should connect to the body at, or what colors the wires are that i would splice into the alternator harness.

well after getting my alternator harness off of the 4.0, i unwrapped it and found that the only difference is there is 1 extra plug on the 4.0 alternator harness. I just cut off the 4 prong , spliced in the 8 prong plug and disregaurded the two extra wires for the plug that is now unused. All the colors matched up. Now to take care of the two passenger side female body plugs.

well time for some updates. i used a toyota IFS steering gear box, and i had true dual exhaust with flowmasters run. here's some more pics.

yeah i had to run an IFS box because it was the only steering gear box that mounted to the outside of the framerail and the pitman arm pointed backwards to be parallel with the tierod. i had to have sky-manufacturing make a custom billet pitman arm reamed for the chevy draglink TRE which i got in the parts mike TRE kit. they offered the pitman arm reamed for a chevy tre, but i had to call them and tell them it was for the draglink tre, .040 bigger in diameter.

Back