Headlight/Wiper/Defrost/Fog LED conversion | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight/Wiper/Defrost/Fog LED conversion

The 5mm LED will fit snugly into the socket of the bulb

in this picture, on the inside of the switch ill try to get a pic there is another LED, ill have to try to figure how to get to it, anyone have a wiring diagram of the switch, etf???
-Kug

*formerly FishinFord*

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no need for wiring diagram all i did was hooked the positive of the leds to the radio and ground the negative to the fram

Yeah, I'm another who didn't even realize the headlight switch was supposed to light up. It's been out since I got it.

But I don't know how on Earth to get to the headlight switch bulbs. Do you have to take off the dash or something? If it's some big ordeal, I can just live with it burnt out as I have since I got it. Also not planning on putting in LEDs if I do replace it (don't feel like messing with all that), just putting in a normal bulb, is it the same kind as the LED?

Yeah, I'm another who didn't even realize the headlight switch was supposed to light up. It's been out since I got it.

But I don't know how on Earth to get to the headlight switch bulbs. Do you have to take off the dash or something? If it's some big ordeal, I can just live with it burnt out as I have since I got it. Also not planning on putting in LEDs if I do replace it (don't feel like messing with all that), just putting in a normal bulb, is it the same kind as the LED?

If your planning on just replacing it with another bulb then don't bother. the bulb will be blown again in few months (been there). Plus it doesn't light up evenly.

If your planning on just replacing it with another bulb then don't bother. the bulb will be blown again in few months (been there). Plus it doesn't light up evenly.

Well how do you get to it, then? Is it a huge pain?

If I try this LED business I'm probably going to need a lot of help lol. I've never done anything like that before.

Couple more questions, where did you get power for light on rear defroster switch?
and what's the best way to grind the tip of an LED?

Also on the rear wiper control, did you grind the LED down, and same for rear defroster switch?

Hello everyone... I stumbled upon this site a few weeks ago, after buying my 2000 Explorer Sport. Just thought I'd show some pics of my conversions so far. I've converted the defrost, fog, rear wiper, headlight, and 4x4 switches to blue leds... and my hvac and gauge cluster lights to white leds (going to change them to blue to match everything else). These are actually brighter than they appear in the pics:

I can't seem to find the resistors in order to step it down. Where did you get your at the ones that go from 12 volts down to 3.6 or so volts. If you could help me out that would be great. Thank you

I can't seem to find the resistors in order to step it down. Where did you get your at the ones that go from 12 volts down to 3.6 or so volts. If you could help me out that would be great. Thank you

I picked mine up on ebay.

MUSTANG P51 ... GREAT JOB with all the details and pics ... I went to radio shack and purchased my L.E.D.s now I gotta start the project to replace the lamps around the radio housing. I'll post some pics ... but for the meantime and between time check out my truck on www.cardomain.com/id/projectgnx ... I also have a Project Regal (hence the name)

Driver's Door Keypad

GOOD JOB on the repairing / modifications to the various lamps around the radio ... you gave such good info I went out and bought all the stuff and I feel as if I can fix it myself .....but..... QUESTION: can you do anything with the driver's side keypad? - it SHOULD light up but it doesn't

Also, do you think that the mirrors are "PREWIRED" for puddle lamps? (wire in plug/harness on door) if it is, I want to add L.E.D. lamps to the bottom of the mirrors

- Please let me know
- XXXploader (thanks)

GOOD JOB on the repairing / modifications to the various lamps around the radio ... you gave such good info I went out and bought all the stuff and I feel as if I can fix it myself .....but..... QUESTION: can you do anything with the driver's side keypad? - it SHOULD light up but it doesn't

Also, do you think that the mirrors are "PREWIRED" for puddle lamps? (wire in plug/harness on door) if it is, I want to add L.E.D. lamps to the bottom of the mirrors

- Please let me know
- XXXploader (thanks)

There is a thread on the forum somewhere on replacing the LEDs inside the keypad, I think the name of the thread was called "changing keypad color" or something like that. I dont know if there will be a harness in the door for the lights.

So quick question is there plug and play LED's for these areas Headlight/Wiper/Defrost/Fog?

^over a year later, no i dont think there are any plug and play bulbs for these lights.

I spent all day doing this conversion and i am finally done! I can't wait for it to get dark out so i can see what they look like at night.

I got some pictures of the way I did some of mine which were generally the same but a little bit different than pictured in the first post. I'll post the pictures just so you guys can maybe get some ideas on how you can do the LEDs if you decide to do this yourself.

You can see that instead of soldering to the old contacts, i used the wires and ran them through the old lightbulb holder so no soldering was needed. It was much easier IMO and needed alot less work. (Not a soldering fan)

IMG_9923.jpg

IMG_9921.jpg

IMG_9922.jpg

IMG_9924.jpg

IMG_9925.jpg

IMG_9926.jpg

IMG_9927.jpg

Also, instead of hot-gluing the light into the rear wiper switch, I put an LED where the old bulb was:

IMG_9928.jpg

IMG_9929.jpg

IMG_9930.jpg

IMG_9931.jpg

IMG_9932.jpg

IMG_9933.jpg

Hunter great work, I like what you did with the rear wiper LED. That was what I was planning on doing originally but the soldering iron was busy melting the white plastic when I wasn't paying attention to it...(whats that smell lol)

I do recommend you solder your connections. Vibrations will loosen up the connections and they will come apart and could cause problems.

I noticed that you are soldering the LEDs and resistors together with the wires running parallel with each other. Doing it this way is a royal PITA, you almost need 4 hands. There are some cases where you have to do them that way but this is the way that I recommend doing them. Wrap the wires first, then solder. Maybe you wont hate soldering as much! Good Work and waiting for the night shots.
IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4804.jpg

I read this and I'd like to have my explorer back and in good shape soon :( to try some led modifications too.
It's very interesting, thanks and congratulations to all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just a FYI for anyone doing this mod: the rear window defrostor button will not work until the car is ON. Even when plugged in, it will not engage and the LED will not turn on. That learning curve caused me an extra hour of headache :banghead:

PS it looked great at night! Its so much brighter. I cant wait to do the hvac controls, window controls, and gauge cluster. Those bulbs are all in the mail!

One thing i am going to do is take black nail polish and paint it black behind where the headlight switch LEDs are because at night there is a slight red tint coming through the plastic where i put the red LED in.

Ill hopefuly post some night pics tonight

and thanks for the suggestion mustang, ill definitely try that!

got the pictures, guys:

they look a little blurry but it really does look good.
IMG_9936.jpg

IMG_9937.jpg

they look pretty bright but its not as overwhelming as it looks in the picture. I like the way it looks!!
IMG_9938.jpg

IMG_9939.jpg

so you can see how a bit of that red comes out of the plastic housing at the top. I think some black polish will fix it

Back