Heavy Duty Headlight Wiring Harness Installation | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heavy Duty Headlight Wiring Harness Installation

Based on a desire for brighter lights, I decided to install a heavy-duty headlight wiring harness on my ‘99. Currently I am running Silver Star 9007 bulbs. I decided to try this harness with the Silver Stars to see what improvement in light output would result; further, it also gives me the potential to run higher wattage lamps.

I ordered the harness from http://www.suvlights.com/; the cost was only $43 with shipping to my door. I admit I was skeptical about ordering from a company that does not accept credit cards ( but remembered what a great company Zaino is ). I find Pay Pal a royal pain in the arse. But all went well and I got an E Mail confirmation about the order as well as shipping info. The link to USPS for tracking is a joke; the same message appeared every day with no delivery date; further, the company never answers their e mail.. My package finally arrived 19 days later.

This is undeniably a quality built harness as evidenced from the photograph ( the actual harness is slightly different ), as well as the excellent construction. The harness includes the following:

(2) 30 amp relays
Fusible link
14 heavy gauge automotive wiring in wire loom
Male connector to plug into existing headlight socket
(2) New headlight sockets

There were no instructions whatsoever included; as promised on their website,. However, their website has the instructions online. They are not really needed.

The harness gets power directly from the truck’s battery eliminating voltage drops and improving headlight system reliability

Installation is really straightforward; no cutting and splicing are required. The first step is to lay out the harness in the manner that it will be installed. A suitable location to mount the relays was chosen and they were attached behind the battery. Then the 9007 bulb sockets were attached to the Silver Star bulbs and the ground leads were attached to existing screws near the headlight. Then the male socket was connected to the original wire harness. Next, the 12 v power leads were attached directly to the battery. The final installation step was to “neat up” the wire runs and secure with tie wraps.

Total installation time was less than 15 minutes. The most time consuming part was the connection at the battery.

Visually, there is an apparent improvement in the brilliance of the lights in the daylight’ will test them on the road tonight. This project was money well spent and recommended to anyone who wants better light output in his or her truck. I would, however, try to find another supplier for the harness.

The next step will be to try higher wattage bulbs…..

Attachments

• wireharness.jpg
    wireharness.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 6,755

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not ordered from them recently.

I searched near and far for another source and found none.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I got some relays ane plugs from them a month or so ago w/no problems.

Expodriver said:
If there was enough interest could the headlight harness qualify for a Group Purchase Discount?
I'd be interested if there was one.

Joe

Ok, I just ordered a set of these harnesses for my 99 sport. So far all i read was to mount the relays a certain way(which way is that to be exact I was kind of confused)Anything else I should watch for when I install this? Thanks

I found a place that sells them cheaper and its a quality retailer.

Garth said:
I found a place that sells them cheaper and its a quality retailer.
Want to share?! :D

Joe

Afboy143 said:
Ok, I just ordered a set of these harnesses for my 99 sport. So far all i read was to mount the relays a certain way(which way is that to be exact I was kind of confused)Anything else I should watch for when I install this? Thanks

Where water cannot collect inside them.

Would it be worth my while to get this harness to go with the new lights in the GP or just wait? :banghead:

Joe

My latest Summit Racing catalog showed harnesses for our trucks, just a little FYI.

Ordered headlight harness from summit racing, part # sum-890031, $48.90 shipped to my door. Was very impressed with the improvement and I just have regular bulbs. Lights are much brighter. Harness is heavy duty, rated at 90 watts for low beam and 100 for high beam. Installation was real easy. Wired directly to battery on one side and a good ground spot on other side. Everything else plugged in. With engine running, voltage at battery is 14.40 and voltage at light socket is 14.20. Pretty impressive.

BTW, the harness came in an APC box, apc part #50.9106. Looked on APC's website and didn't see it listed.

Any idea if the harness from Summit is as good as the one from SUVlights.com?

Joe

I am not sure about the one from SUVlights because I have not seen one but the one from summit works very well.

Post a pic of the one from Summit, please.

The one from SUVlights is top quality and works great; I have it.

It will be awhile beofre we finish the roll and get film developed, sorry we don't have a digital camera, it is on the wish list.

Another Source

Found another source for the harness Ford Diesel Site Seems to be some quality stuff on there as well. Also, how are these holding up over time?

Dan

hunterdan said:
Found another source for the harness Ford Diesel Site Seems to be some quality stuff on there as well. Also, how are these holding up over time?

Dan

Thanks. Looks Like I will pick these up in a few days.

PS: Newbie here :)

Kinda bugs me there's not a single picture showing comparison with the improvement of the new harness.

Back