Helloooo Eddie! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Helloooo Eddie!

My city mileage is around 13 and that's with winter gas. I haven't had it long enough to evaluate summer or highway mileage. I'm told my mileage is normal. About the only drawback I see with the V8. I got better mileage with my SOHC V6 on my Sport. I have a pretty heavy foot, so I don't imagine my mileage is going to get much better. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It stands to reason that you got better milage with the sport smaller motor, part time 4x4, much lighter vehicle= better milage. The v8 is deffinatly more reliable than the 4.0 though from everything I have heard and experianced.

The SOHC appears to get better overall mileage in 4 door applications as well. I had great reliability with two Sports I owned, both with SOHC engines ('97 and '00). I do prefer the feel of the V8 and I understand the setup will keep me going for years to come. That's ultimately why I went with the V8. The SOHC is a great engine and it would have saved me a lot of hassle if I scored an Eddie with that engine. Most of my mods would have been moved right over.

Nonetheless, I'm still very happy with this purchase. It's got options I never had in my Sports (leather, power moonroof, heated seats etc). I could do without the onboard computer display thingy. Most of the info I get from it is pretty unreliable for the most part. The verdict is still out on the automatic climate control HVAC. I find it gets cold in the car at times and also the windshield fogs when I'd prefer it didn't. I had no issues with the good old manual function with the knobs in every other Explorer I've had (this is my 4th).

I found that the auto climate control works great in spring and fall but I just turn it to heat or heat / defrost in the winter. The on board computer does suck I think and is pretty useless.

I was under the understanding that the sport is actually HEAVIER?

00XLS said:
I was under the understanding that the sport is actually HEAVIER?

Can't see how that would be. It's 10" shorter and has pretty much the same components as the 4 door. Even the rear spring on the Sport is lighter (mono vs. 4 leaf pack).

yeah I highly doubt that sport is heavier. Just in the material alone there is no way its heavier. My last sport drove like a sports car compared to my 4 door EB.

Lookin' sweet celly. :thumbsup: Keep up the good work.

Back