Helloooo Eddie! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Helloooo Eddie!

96limitedX said:
actualy tinting the tails on that green looks very nice..i think you should do it. :thumbsup:

did you save your dimond headlights or corners? speed grills?

cant wait to see what you do with this truck. your sport was one of the prettyest(yes i think its a word..lol) on the site

EDIT: BTW now you make me wanna go drive a sport..i have never drove or even rode in one. i'm really used to the 4 doors :D

I already have the tails from my Sport and tried them on for size tonight. I didn't like the look and went back to the stock tails soon after. I had a backup stock set that went with the Sport, untinted.

I actually let a set of Diamond cut headlights go with the Sport. One of them was damaged in the install and I didn't feel like taking them off. I scored another set from DirtyDog a few months ago and they'll eventually go on the EB. I salvaged the corners and have another in reserve (also from DD). I do have the grilles. Those will go on when I get to the headlights. I've already put them in place without the clips and the grille looks nice. I'm going to focus on performance mods first. I have almost got the intake back up and running completely (using the stock tube for now). I've made arrangements with Doug to re-program my flasher and am going to do exhaust next. Tomorrow the EE rear swaybar and the front swaybar bushings and endlinks come off the Sport and they're getting transplanted to the EB (as arranged as part of the sale).

I don't plan to do much re: cosmetics. Won't be able to afford it for a while. Maybe some new rims/tires eventually, but that's a LONG way off. I even let the Bullitt fuel door go with the Sport as well as the Autovation pedals. It was too much of a hassle to get them off. For some reason, the fuel door was giving me a lot of grief getting off and the pedals have such a small Allen head on them that they were a ***** to remove. I just left them and probably won't get any for the EB. I actually grew a bit tired of the door (just didn't look right at times). The pedals I was indifferent about.

I loved the Sport. I highly recommend them, especially for you young folk. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

celly said:
I loved the Sport. I highly recommend them, especially for you young folk. ;)

lol i seriosuly dont know what i would do with a sport..it wouldent have enough room for me and the stuff/people i haul...other down side is they dont make a limited sport :D

well it sounds like you have a good handle on this ;) . cant wait to see what this one looks like after its been with you for awhile. your sport was so nice..but i'm sure this EB will be nicer :thumbsup:

BTW i think i can get your the directions for the univeral garage door opener. ;)

I went through the same thing with my Sport. I miss it everyday. But the 4 door is a lot more practical and who doesn't love the roar of the 302!?

I really want to see pics of your interior though. never heard of gray in an EB.

IAmTodd said:
I went through the same thing with my Sport. I miss it everyday. But the 4 door is a lot more practical and who doesn't love the roar of the 302!?

I really want to see pics of your interior though. never heard of gray in an EB.

I do like the sound of the V8 for sure. I'm researching exhaust right now. I'll probably keep it quieter this time around. I didn't mind the sound of the Flowie SUV Series 50 on the Sport, but I want something quieter. I'm looking at Dynomax now. I've found it hard to find bad press on their offering for the 302 in our application. Also, Flowmaster is harder to come by around here.

I didn't know about the grey interior either until I saw a Wedgewood Blue EB (2000) with that interior on another lot last week. I test drove another blue one last Friday with the tan interior. It would have worked better with my floormats and a few other things I had in the Sport. Ironically, I thought my EB had a tan interior. That's how they advertised it on assorted "for sale" sites. I was surprised when I saw this one was grey. I really prefer it to the tan. Pics will follow eventually. It's actually in the shop this morning. They're looking at that leaky gasket, as well as swapping out my snow tires which are still on the Sport and the EE swaybar as well.

The used car lot wanted to take the EB up to their mechanic to see what was wrong with the leak. My guy (who's doing the swap of parts from the Sport) is a straight shooter and he suggested that he put the EB in his hoist and they'll diagnose it together with the used car people. He was concerned they'd take it away and just clean up the mess without actually fixing it. I like this guy's way of thinking. VERY trustworthy.

You are indeed driving the best explorer ever. I bought mine w/ 31,000 and I swear it just keeps getting stronger, has 53,000 on it now. The X is one of the best platforms running the 5.0 HO engine. 99 is a good year, great ignition and the cobra heads from the factory! Gotta love those charcoal grey interior, mine has the same.

Enjoy!

302Xplorer said:
You are indeed driving the best explorer ever. I bought mine w/ 31,000 and I swear it just keeps getting stronger, has 53,000 on it now. The X is one of the best platforms running the 5.0 HO engine. 99 is a good year, great ignition and the cobra heads from the factory! Gotta love those charcoal grey interior, mine has the same.

Enjoy!

Glad to hear '99 was a vintage year. I'm pretty stoked to have found one in such great shape. I do plan to get it filled up with Amsoil soon so it'll last forever. Just working on the performance mods first. Yeah, I love the interior a lot.

An update on the "leak". They had it in the hoist today and said there doesn't appear to be a leak at all. Just some condensation and moisture mixed with some grime. He said it was "sweating". Makes sense, because when the first guy looked at it, I had just washed it and the coin op place I use has an underbody rinse when you first enter the wash bays.

Whew!

celly said:
Glad to hear '99 was a vintage year. I'm pretty stoked to have found one in such great shape. I do plan to get it filled up with Amsoil soon so it'll last forever. Just working on the performance mods first. Yeah, I love the interior a lot.

An update on the "leak". They had it in the hoist today and said there doesn't appear to be a leak at all. Just some condensation and moisture mixed with some grime. He said it was "sweating". Makes sense, because when the first guy looked at it, I had just washed it and the coin op place I use has an underbody rinse when you first enter the wash bays.

Whew!

Mine sat on a Saturn dealership lot for over a year before I bought it. So when I got it it ran a little funky. Switched to all synth, oil, tranny, transfer case and diffs, boy what a difference. Seafoamed it in thru the bb line and gas tank. She runs sweeter than any car I've had.

Another big difference was when I got those Goodyear Wrangler RT/S (junk) off there and replace them w/ some revos.

My father in law had a 97 w/ 276,000 mi on it and still pulled strong. He replaced it w/ a 2002 eb shoc v6 and regrets it. Misses the seats the most.

Wow...Great find on a beautiful truck. It's hard enough to find a low mileage Ex, let alone an Eddie.

I’m in the process of junking my RT/S’s…they are HORRIBLE, looking hard at Firestone Destination LE’s, saw some EX’s with them on and they look nice plus the reviews here and at Tirerack are outstanding.

Never though my Explorer would ever have Firestone's on it again.

302Xplorer said:
Mine sat on a Saturn dealership lot for over a year before I bought it. So when I got it it ran a little funky. Switched to all synth, oil, tranny, transfer case and diffs, boy what a difference. Seafoamed it in thru the bb line and gas tank. She runs sweeter than any car I've had.

I've already cleaned the MAF and IAC, put on 1/2 of my Volant intake (using the stock tube), changed the oil to Mobil 1 (will go to Amsoil eventually, all through) and picked up some Seafoam last night. I've already put some in the tank but haven't dumped any in the engine yet. I don't even know where the brake booster is yet. I liked the "IAC Method" on my SOHC. Too bad there's nothing similar on the V8. It ran a bit rough when I test drove it on Monday, but she's smooth as silk now.

Right now she's sitting in a Muffler shop. :)

drake437 said:
Wow...Great find on a beautiful truck. It's hard enough to find a low mileage Ex, let alone an Eddie.

That's why I jumped on it. :D

An Update and First Impressions
--------------------------------

I've had the Eddie for just over a week now and I am very happy with it. At first the V8 felt a bit alien, but I'm getting quite used to it now and like it a lot. The AWD sure makes my Ex feel that much more sure footed than my Sport and with Calgary getting snow today, I sure appreciated it. Things I've done so far (in no particular order):

-Street Scenes grille and lower insert (was on the Sport)
-Energy Suspension poly front swar bar bushings/endlinks (were on Sport briefly).
-Diamond Cut corners and headlights (scored from Dirty Dog, still have a set of corners in reserve).
-Silver Stars in the headlights, silver frosted bulbs in the rest.
-Volant intake from the Sport, ASMI intake tube, hightempsilicone couplers/t-bolts. I have a very sweet looking and peforming intake system now. (updated 12/21/05)
-Flo-Pro dual in, single out muffler, 2.5" pipes from cats back, 3" rolled SS tip (very mellow sound and noticeable peformance diff).
-C&L MAF, decided to use the one from the Sport as it's so close to OEM.
-ditched the oversized front bug guard the previous owner had on there.
-removed the OEM roof rack cross bars.
-Oil change (Mobil 1) and rad flush. (Amsoil Series 2000 0/30 and EA filter on their way, 02/02/06)
-tranny flush, filled with Amsoil ATF (transfer case too), 01/07/06
-swapped out "Mr Alternator" 200 amp and Optima Red Top from Sport
-installed "plain" billet battery hold down, scored on eBay.
-Installed "Limited" rims scored from Dirty Dog (w/ Michelin Latitude Ice tires)
-new Pioneer 8600 head unit.
-cleaned IAC and MAF
-can of Seafoam in the gas, followed by a can via the brake booster, 12/24 (SMOKE SHOW!)
-rubber floor mats for winter (Ford OEM via eBay)
-Pioneer XM tuner and antenna (from Sport)
-Viper security (installed 12/1/05).
-SCT XC2 flasher returned from bama. After some tweaking, I have a 91 Performance, 91 Torque and 87 Performance tune at my disposal (updated 12/21/05)
-Bilsteins installed 12/23. SWEET shox. Cushy but firm at the same time. Also got the EE rear awaybar put on at the same time. What a transformation.
-one coat of VHT Night Shades on tails, many coast of clear coat, left the amber this time. Looks sweet. (updated 12/31/05).
-reinstalled Fosgate Amp to power Hertz 10" sub (in small sub box, eventually going in side pocket), scored another Fosgate 2 channel amp to power front speakers ("free", used gift cert given to me from work for "Futureshop"), installed as well, 12/26.
-reinstalled Alpine R type speakers in the front, scored some S-type for the rear. Dead easy with the Ford adapter my father in law brought up from the US (via Crutchfield), 12/29/05
-AVS vent visors, front and rear.
-white OEM gauge overlays and red needles that were on the Sport installed 01/07/06 (originally from an '03 Sport via a boneyard).
-got alignment 1/31/06, perfect shape according to shop.
-flushed and filled brake fluid with Valvoline Synpower synthetic brake fluid (1/31/06)
-flushed and filled power steering fluid with Valvoline Synpower synthetic (1/27/06)
-installed Samsung handsfree unit for phone, mounted on Arkon gooseneck mount, also installed Wilson glass mount phone antenna (was on Sport).
-installed Mustang "Bullitt" fuel door 02/02/06
-Amsoil Series 2000 0/30 oil/EA filter went in, 02/03/06
-Amsoil Severe Gear gear oil, front and rear went in at same time.
-scored a ported and polished OEM TB on eBay, 02/03/06
-scored a Philips 4300K HID conversion kit, 02/16/06 from xenondepot.com, arrived 2/23/06, VERY NICE. Whiter than stock (and Silver Stars) and MUCH brighter.
-put in some Osram Silverstar H1 bulbs in the fogs (these are not the same as the Sylvania version), 02/18/06. Ordered some 2500K "Luminics" bulbs 02/20/06.
-installed ported/polished OEM TB scored from eBay seller 02/23/06
-scored EE front airdam off eBay, even painted to match an EB. 02/25/06

Future mods/stuff to do:
---------------------------
-reinstall Hertz 10" sub into side pocket (scored a used sub box for the interim).
-Torque Monster headers. Got the video CD and install instructions. Now I just have to budget for them.

1st pic below. :thumbsup:

Went by the used car dealer to pick up some stuff I left in the Sport. It made me a bit melancholy to see my beloved Sport sitting there, covered with a light dusting of snow. I wrote on the windshield:

"This car rocks! Buy me!"

See ya old friend. Hope to see you out there soon on the road.

(Update, 12/21, salesman who sold me the Ex told me a young couple scored my Sport and are very happy with it, especially the condition it was in)

I've got a stupid question?
What is the difference between the Eddie and the Limited?

Limited is FULLY loaded

EB has two tone paint, not all limiteds do. Limiteds also get different fascia (bumper cover, grill, etc) the EB is jsut a trim package interior and paint wise.

Not all Eddie Bauers are fully loaded like the limited.

I wouldn't say fully loaded... I found out I don't have the air adjustable ride. :(

BE HAPPY you dont have it.
You have a message center, power mirrors, power seats, rear AC and radio controls, sunroof, compass mirror and all that stuff right? I am more familiar with the Gen I trucks then the Gen II but I am learning :)

no limiteds had 2 tone paint. the limited is just the next step "up" in line...it goes XLS,XLT,EB,LIMITED

celly, dude! this truck sounds like its coming along great. i cant wait to see some pics of it.

410Fortune said:
Limited is FULLY loaded

EB has two tone paint, not all limiteds do. Limiteds also get different fascia (bumper cover, grill, etc) the EB is jsut a trim package interior and paint wise.

Not all Eddie Bauers are fully loaded like the limited.

And for a number of years the Limited had heated seats and the EB doesn't....I think. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

Good score on the EB though Brad. I know you'll be happy with the 4-door :thumbsup:

but you can get a EB with all those limited parts, except for the grill and fender trim.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

now in the 3rd gens its pretty much just a looks thing..

but back in the day..93-01(i think..i'm not sure what options the 99-01s got) the only limiteds came with different memorey seats,heated mirrors,mono paint,different wheels...other little things that made them "top of the line" now they are alot closer in options then they used to be. but the way it goes is like i said seom base XLS up to the limited.

but thats getting off-topic...i wanna see some pics of cellys new eddie!!

Back