(HELP!) Torque Monster Header custom EGR pipe | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

(HELP!) Torque Monster Header custom EGR pipe

Mrhobby100

Reaction score
City, State
Anaheim CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
OK So I am going in on the Torque Monster group buy that is going on. Since I will finally be doing the much needed header upgrade I will be installing a Trick Flow upper and lower intake manifold at the same time which will have a totally different elbow between the manifold and the throttle body where the egr pipe connects. I will have to use the trickflow SN95 elbow which is about a 45 degree elbow not a 90 degree elbow like the stock explorer and I need to make a custom egr pipe I wont be able to bend mine since when I bought the explorer it came with the pre-formed egr pipe that can't be bent. can I just cut it and weld in a custom bend or something I don't know what type of metal that tube is even made of.

(please only comment if you are going to help me. Don't post if your gonna give me statistics on how the intake manifold isn't gonna gain any performance. I think it looks purrty and that's enough for me)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stock 90 degree elbow will bolt up to the TFS intake, you don't NEED a SN-95 45. TMH's come with an EGR tube pre-bent to fit, no matter what aftermarket intake you might use, with the a 90.

If your looking to use a SN-95 45 degree elbow so you can use a SN-95 75mm throttle body to match the TFS intake so you don't have to mod a 90 elbow, you'll need to come up with a solution for the EGR valve itself (not just the tube). Different bot pattern, different angle.

If your set on installing a TFS intake, and if your building a 302-347 non-boosted motor, use the stock elbow and TB. The time, money and effort won't be worth the trouble, and you wouldn't notice any real gains in the long run.

Now is this new pre-made egr pipe that comes with the headers still being included since the original seller of them has stopped and now al's headers sells them directly. I live down the street from the manufacturer of the headers so if I need to I want to make sure he gives me everything in the kit that is suppose to be there.

And yes I am gonna install a new 75mm throttle body but from accufab cause they will mod the mustang throttle body so the throttle linkage will match up correctly. I am also gonna install a mac intake, a new pro-m MAF, a SCT livewire TS and I will do the updated 98 J-MOD to the tranny. after the intake and exhaust are taken care of I will start saving up for new trickflow heads. so I think that I will actually see gains from these mods once the new heads go on.

if al's follows what bob did, yes, they come with pre bent tubes. if i am correct, they are made from stainless steel, and VERY ridged. can i ask why you need to use the mustang elbow? if you have a little fab skills, and can either weld, or know a place that can weld alum., you can modify the explorer elbow, which is what i will be doing once i find a donor one.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328687

if al's follows what bob did, yes, they come with pre bent tubes. if i am correct, they are made from stainless steel, and VERY ridged. can i ask why you need to use the mustang elbow? if you have a little fab skills, and can either weld, or know a place that can weld alum., you can modify the explorer elbow, which is what i will be doing once i find a donor one.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328687

Yes I have people who can weld aluminum my dad's friends owns a pretty well known offroad shop and there is a couple offroad race shops on the corner by my house. I am gonna use the mustang elbow because it will finish off the look of my engine once I am done with all the trick flow parts. I don't wanna spend a bunch of money on all kinds of nice parts to have some jerry rigged stock elbow killin the look. (I guess I am just bein a little picky).

Back