hiridin's full width sas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hiridin's full width sas

when i first did my sas i decided on a dana 30 for many reasons. cost... close to stock width... same lug pattern and i only wanted to run 35's. and figured that would be plenty strong for what i wanted. i went with 4.56 gears and put a lock rite in the back. leaving the front open. it worked great and was plenty satisfied for quite a while. but power was lacking with only 4.56 gears and i had no front locker which also was holding me back. so i was going to swap gears and add a front locker. and i really wanted manual hubs. so i was ready to sink way too much money into just a dana 30 leaving me with jus as weak a front end as i started with. for a little more i could have a dana 44 up front. but still didn't want to cut it down to match the rear width. then i start seeing quite a few people start putting full width axles under there trucks and it looked great. more strength, better stability, manual hubs and i can move up to bigger tires next time around. throwing all my money in to the sas the first time around trying to be cheap about it and settle instead of have what i really wanted/ needed back fired on me. so whatever too late now. so i started gathering up parts.... slooowly... not planning to do anyhing for a 6 mo. to a year. anyways i'm out playing in some mud going through a ditch and my wheel fell off. snapped the axle shaft and ripped both of my ball joints apart. and these were nearly new ball joints. i think the ujoint in the axle shaft came apart and everything followed. anyways... it was going to be too much money to put in a front end im not even keeping. i'll jus do my new axles now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here's what i got

high pinion dana 44 out of a 78 f150
5.13 yukon gears
aussie locker
new ball joints and seals
ford 9" rear
5.14 yukon gears
lock rite (don't have aussie locker for 9" yet)
i'll be adding 2" to 2.5" more lift to later make way for 36x14.50r15 tsl radials
untill then i have 35x12.50 bfg mt's
15x10" black rock crawler wheels with 2.5" bs

Yeah as soon as I feel like tearing my frame apart, I will also have the same setup.

well there has been quite a delay in getting my truck finished. the guy doing my gears has not gotten around to doing it yet. even though we were planning to have them done today at the latest. i doubt he'll even do them this weekend. so i've basically been set back a week. i can't complain cuz he's doing it for free but i wish he'd get them done. i miss my truck. i'm driving a beat up, bad running, no a/c car right now. its better than nothing and gas mileage is better than my truck but its not my truck. i'm not proud to drive that car. in fact i'm a little ashamed. and its already been over 2 weeks with most likely a good 2 weeks remaining.

This thing will be awesome once it's all done. I'm going with a really similar setup. Are you sticking with coils or going with leaf springs on the d44?

i'm going to stick with coils up front. going to build the coil mount that mounts to the radius arm up 2" to 2.5". that or move the coil buckets down. wichever turns out easier. the back is getting a block. a good 2.5" of it. which really isn't much. atleast i guess not. hopefully its not soo much where it will cause spring wrap. if it does then i'll jus figure something else out. maybe a little longer shackle and little shorter block. we will see. the 5.13's will be more than enough gearing. its like having 4.56's and 31's :eek: then i have that flasher for it that i need to get reprogrammed. it should work pretty damn good. alot of people are going with this setup. where do u think i got this idea from? u and everyone else doing it. good idea :thumbsup: bad for my wallet :thumbdwn:

at first i was reccomending that people use the dana 30. but now that i broke mine :rolleyes: the dana 44 is definitely the way to go. and it would've been sooooooo much cheaper to do it right the first time. i went from 31's to 31's and a 3" body lift to 31's and 15x8's to a dana 30 sas to a dana 44 sas. only took me a few tries to get it right.

bmxking5 said:
This thing will be awesome once it's all done. I'm going with a really similar setup. Are you sticking with coils or going with leaf springs on the d44?

y? are u sticking with coils or using leafs?

I'm staying with coils. Isn't your d30 leaf sprung, or am I thinking of someone else?

I'm going with a straight axle so my wallet doesn't have to go through the same thing as you and most others on this site. I only got a 2" Skyjacker lift and 31/15x8s so that it would have a little lift while I work on everything else. I knew I wanted atleast 33s (then decided the smallest I'd go is 35s) and didn't want to go all out with a SJ class 2 lift, regear (I have 3.27s), and then find out what I've already seen from others, and that is that the front end isn't as strong as what I need/want. 5.13s and 35s is going to be LOW! I'm going with 4.88s and 36-37s. I'd go with 5.13s, but I've already decided that this motor is going to be swapped with a 302 or 351, so 4.88s will be fine for now, and then be way more than enough after I get the bigger motor in there.

must be thinking of someone else. mine is coil sprung... 5.13's will be low but i will move up to a 36" tire eventually. which will be taller, wider and heavier than what i have now. so i'll need all the gear to push them to the way i want. especially since i have no plans of ever stepping up to a v8. yer 4.88's will be adeqaute and yer right that'll be more than enough with v8 power. 4.88's and 37's will still be better than 35's and 4.56's. but since its a heavier tire u'll prolly be where i am now. which isn't bad. its more than enough power to move around. i want to be able to keep my tires spinning in the deep stuff. when i'm pushing mud with my axles and undercarriage it boggs down too much for my liking. even though it still gets me through it. the more power i have and the bigger i am the crazier things i get to try. :D

well its finally done. its been a long 5 weeks but last night i drove it home. the 5.13's are great with my 35's. it handles great on road. i've yet to take it offroad though. my dad wants me to drive it around for a week or so to make sure everything is working correctly. even though i'd rather it break offroad than when i'm going down the highway or something. so we'll see. i'll prolly jus take it easy at first. even though so far everything seems fine. haven't got my tone ring rigged up on the driveshaft yet. and i haven't gotten the aftermarket speedometer and odomoter hooked up yet so i have no speedo. but all that will be taken care of before the end of next month cuz my inspection is up and i have to get rid of my cel. i have no pics yet but i will get them up next week on my cardomain.

sounds justs what i want to do
cant wait to see the pictures

i have six new pics up. nothing exciting and i need to get some better ones but for now this is what i have. let me know...

Dang...I think your truck is my favorite 2nd gen. :D Looks awesome. Now time for some flex/action shots. :cool:

bmxking5 said:
Dang...I think your truck is my favorite 2nd gen. :D Looks awesome. Now time for some flex/action shots. :cool:

thanks :D i'll try and get some flex shots tomorrow. for action pics i'll need to bring the digi cam home from work with me one of these times. now if i could jus get rid of these bfg's i could move up to some iroks or tsl radials. i still haven't made up my mind. which will get better traction in mud? which would last longer?

TSL radials should last longer than the iroks. Iroks pretty much own everything offroad from what I've heard.

Truck looks good but damn that thing's wide!

i wanted it wide. i wanted it as wide as a f250 or f350 cuz those are pretty wide and i would assume fairly stable b/c of that. and for as high as i am i wanted it as stable as i can get it. on a side note with that hurricane coming this weekend on the coast we'll get more than enough rain for me to go play in the mud. see how it does... i still haven't gotten to take flex pics yet we have a car on the frame machine right now. maybe tomorrow... i'll keep u posted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back