How many of you offroad in your daily driver? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many of you offroad in your daily driver?

Who all takes their daily driver offroading?

• I don't offroad in my daily driver.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • I do take my daily driver offroading.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I take my X offroading, but have another daily driver.

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

SilverBullet

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer AWD 5.0
I was thinking that I'd like to start getting out, meeting some people, and getting my X a little dirty.. but it's my daily driver, so I don't want to get it damaged in any way so that it's down and out or costing me money to fix.. How many of you take your daily driver off road, and have you had any problems breaking stuff to where you get yourself in a hot spot with having no transportation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been doing this for 8 years in my BII.
However she is finally getting to the point where I need something else to drive daily, but this is because I am going to add a full roll cage and I no longer plan to take the "bypass" on many of the harder obstacles for fear of not being able to drive her the next day.....

I take my daily driver off-road, but like SilverBullet I avoid any trail that would cause damage to make it non-road worthy.

DeRocha said:
I take my daily driver off-road, but like SilverBullet I avoid any trail that would cause damage to make it non-road worthy.
Same here. But it also means like 410 i have to avoid mods that'll keep it down for more than a day

Dont be discouraged. You do not need to get body damage or have a SAS to go offroad. Even easy trails can be alot of fun.

I use my daily driver for offroad use and when I get in the mud theres no hold bar, I rip it up oneside and down the other, but luckliy haven't broke anything yet :hammer:

I offroad my DD, but once the bigger tires get on there, we'll see what happens to my gas mileage. Potential damage doesn't bug me - but 10 miles a gallon would!

sberkel said:
I offroad my DD, but once the bigger tires get on there, we'll see what happens to my gas mileage. Potential damage doesn't bug me - but 10 miles a gallon would!

hey thats my Gas Milage :D if not worse....

I offroad my DD, but i do have a back up vehicle, or few, that i could drive if i tore mine up......

i did, and offroaded it quite seriously. till i blew my engine. now it has a new engine in it, but my DD is a 2005 silverado and the explorer is probably going to another member on this board to help pay for the silverado.

eventually ill build up a zuki for a trale rig like JDraper and tow it with my cheby

edit: oh yea, it blew up because it had 150K miles on it- and i hydrolocked the engine twice before building the snorkel :banghead:

Yup, mine is still my DD.

attachment.php

I've been looking for either a sporty car (Mustang, WRX, etc) or a Tow Rig (crew cab, short bed, diesel) for a couple years. The problem is that I have nowhere to park a second vehicle, so I haven't made a purchase.

i voted: I do take my daily driver offroading. but its my toyota, my X doenst move anymore

I used to offroad my DD, but I wasn't having fun as I was afraid of damaging it (I didn't stick to the easy trails, and the truck was only 1 year old at the time.). I now wheel my Zuk and tow it behind my X.

Yup, offroad hard. Break something minor almost every time out, a new dent, broken light, u-joint, funny new noise. Nothing major yet except tranny and hubs, knock wood. I am not afraid to damage, used to be before it was all beat up.

Only offroading I do is having to park in the grass on the side of my driveway.

I offroad my DD but none of the wheeling we do around here results in body damage. Just mud and mild all around offroading.

Yep I off road my Explorer. Yep its my daily driver. Yep I have a back up car incase it gets really fun on the trail. I have done more damage to my Explorer on the street than on a trail up to this point. Having a cloud of tranny fluid smoke spewing out of your truck doing 45 up hill sucks goose eggs.

i offroad in my x which is my daily driver, so far no real bad damage, some scratches and dents, had to replace a u-joint, a few cv joint boots... broke some shocks, blew out some tires, now im afraid my transmission is going to mess up. but i have a blast in it! and ill continue offroading in it!

If I was staying on the road I would not have cracked the frame on my Golf camping, nor would I have bought an Explorer.

I really, really want another Mustang though. Preferably a 66-68 fastback this time around:thumbsup:, or another 5 liter. :D

I off-road my daily driver, but I generally also have a spare vehicle at home in case something happens. I find myself getting much more cautious when I am down to one vehicle... :D

Like this:

15014Explorer_front_flex.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I take my daily driver off roading a couple times a month with a bunch of jeepers. Nothing really major broke on my vehicle. Just needed to replace my trans. modulator and drain and replace oil and filter. My TTB D35 REV CUT IFS seems to not only holding up but also kicking ass.

Back