How to: make revese glow gauges come on with interior lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: make revese glow gauges come on with interior lights

SkanlaxJMO

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Well I have had my reverse glow gauges for almost a year now. And one of my major complaints is that they have a seperate switch and you have to turn that one and turn on your headlights......or if someone drives your truck they cant figure out why the gauges are not lit up. So today I wired them into the interior lights.

Step One
Take dash apart.(there is a good thread on it but if you have done gauges you should know how).

Step Two:
Because the switch on the gauges is not a normal on/off switch it took some creative thinking. What I did was to cut off the end plug that went into the switch(the one that came with the gauges). Then tape off one of the ends. The other strip the end...you will use it later.
Step 3 Now here is the fun part....i spent an hour probing through the wires on the headlight harness and it came that the blue and orange striped wire is the one you want.

777.jpg

So now That you have your wire take the red(power) wire for the gauges and splice it onto the blue and orange wire along with the one wire from earlier that you stripped. Sauder them and tape them up.
th_66-1.jpg

As you can see i extended mine a bit........

Gauges come on with headligts/ Running lights.
th_writeup4.jpg

(no my dash is nto back together yet)
Now if you dont want to pull the dash apart there are alternatives. There is a bulb underneath the center consol that you can chop off run an extension from the positive and tap off of that...(I Did that in the long run because i did not want to sauder inside my dash and i have a couple neon's running off it already).
writeup5.jpg

last step: put the dash back together...and make sure all the electrical connections have heat shrink or tape over them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks......camera phone pics....you get the idea though... :p

I was going to post a question about this, i have these guages and mine stopped working, meaning they dont light up, any ideas.

the little switch is probably bad....mine went bad.....what you do is cut off the little ends and then strip both wires and connect one of the wires to a 12v hot wire and if it doesnt work...try the other one......its not like a normal switch. Also check the ground.

hmmm my glow lights wired directly into the headlight switch from the get go, so i didnt have that problem....i do have a switch to chnage from blue to green, and some wires came off the back and the blue side wouldent work anymore...so you might check that out if yours wont come on anymore

the ones i got are only blue.....and it is awesome not having to hit the switch now...and it is really cool being able to dim them

Back