How to: Winch Install on a 2nd Gen - Factory Bumper | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Winch Install on a 2nd Gen - Factory Bumper

Winch Install on a 2nd Gen - Factory Bumper

I have had several people ask me to make a winch install write up for behind the factory bumper. They have asked to make a separate thread so that when it is searched it will come up easier than scrolling through my long build thread.

Any chance a moderator can copy posts 706-746 from my build thread to this thread? Not sure how it works but would be the easiest rather than going through all my pictures again. But would still like to leave the posts in the build thread as well.

[MENTION=71]Rick[/MENTION]
[MENTION=8557]james t[/MENTION]

If not let me know and I can spend some time going through it again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hate to revive an old thread like this, but does any one know of a difference in the front bumper/frame between my 2nd gen 1996 and a 1998? I don't think there's much different, and this Curt front mount seems perfect. Now that those 12k BadLands winches are so proven, and cheap, I am seriously considering one.

Curt Front Mount Hitch

cant speak to the. hitch, but my badlands winch has been great so far! and afaik there we no differences that ive noticed at the local yards, but there may be subtleties that im not aware of

Where the front sway bar mounts is different between 96 and 98. This effects the way plow brackets mount up between the years.

Where the front sway bar mounts is different between 96 and 98. This effects the way plow brackets mount up between the years.
My sway bars are long gone, but plow brackets are probably similar to hitch mounts. I wonder if I could make it work. Seems worth a try.

And thank you!

Is there a picture of that mounted on a Explorer? It looks like it mounts below the bumper. If you do any off roading, you'll be hanging up on that.

Is there a picture of that mounted on a Explorer? It looks like it mounts below the bumper. If you do any off roading, you'll be hanging up on that.
Haven't found any, but I think the hitch is behind the hole in the bumper, rather than below the bumper. I may just get some 2x4 tubing and a 2" hitch and try to make my own.

ive looked at em before, but it seemed like it hung below the lower valance on it, so i skipped it for a winch bumper from rockranger

ive looked at em before, but it seemed like it hung below the lower valance on it, so i skipped it for a winch bumper from rockranger
Any info would be appreciated!

cht-31051_od_xl.jpg
cht-31051_du_xl.jpg
heres pics that i saw when i was looking at em... would be ncie to pushing boat into spot, or plowing, but not sure about froading

this too! :D

A front hitch isn’t really a winch option for off-roading. They hang low and kill your approach to near nothing. I would bang my plow mount, and it sat in and up more than the hitches.

I’d slap a multimount in the rear, and wire it with Anderson connectors. In the event you can ONLY pull forward you can chain/strap the winch to your front recovery points. I’ve chained a winch on a few occasions, and it always worked well.

Back