I messed up very badly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Arissett

Reaction score
City, State
Piscataway, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999, Explorer, XLT
I was doing my injectors and one of them came out and I noticed the o ring and the tiny plastic piece went into the engine. So I already knew this was done for at that point but I stuck this long skinny pencil down there to see if I could feel it and I didn’t. Pulled the pencil out and placed it there. A couple mins later I knocked it into the hole. I am not that far into mechanics to know how to pull an engine. Is there anyway I can get these out without pulling my engine? I know y’all must think I’m an idiot but this was honestly an accident. If I do have to pull my engine can someone either detail or link me a detailed process on how to pull the 5.0? 1999 5.0L V8 Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was doing my injectors and one of them came out and I noticed the o ring and the tiny plastic piece went into the engine. So I already knew this was done for at that point but I stuck this long skinny pencil down there to see if I could feel it and I didn’t. Pulled the pencil out and placed it there. A couple mins later I knocked it into the hole. I am not that far into mechanics to know how to pull an engine. Is there anyway I can get these out without pulling my engine? I know y’all must think I’m an idiot but this was honestly an accident. If I do have to pull my engine can someone either detail or link me a detailed process on how to pull the 5.0? 1999 5.0L V8 Explorer.
so its sitting on the piston now? some tricks i have tried are putting something like vasalene, lucas red n tacky (my choice) on a rod or something to try to get the debris to stick to it, or you could try compressed air to see if it will blow out. can try these thru the sark plug holes.

Okay so you have the o-ring and such, rubber/plastic in there.

An entire pencil too? A wood one? Plastic? Metal? Need more details.

Okay so you have then o-ring and such, rubber/plastic in there.

im pretty sure the pencil is out no? maybe im misreading

edit: oh i see... didnt even know a pencil fit in there!!!! if its got an metal sleeve around th eeraser or its metal usually a magnet work

Okay so you have the o-ring and such, rubber/plastic in there.

If it's a wooden pencil, both items don't last long under extreme heat.

Gonna have to come apart. No need to pull it. I’d have let it just eat that o ring.

Plastic Pencil. I believe it’s the whole pencil. Funny enough the eraser didn’t go down somehow lol.
if the eraser didnt go down, can the pencil be pulled out?
Gonna have to come apart. No need to pull it. I’d have let it just eat that o ring.
thats probably fine too, less work :p

Gotta get the pencil

I’m not smart on the 5.0 so I don’t know where the injectors sit. I’m having a hard time seeing a pencil get past the intake valve

As said, should’ve let it eat the o-ring. It would’ve burned right up.

If you are creative with paperclips, you could pull the spark plug and go fishing. The o ring will vaporize so don't worry about it

If you are creative with paperclips, you could pull the spark plug and go fishing. The o ring will vaporize so don't worry about it
you have an oring? no (or at the very least, you cant have it :p), go fish.

Remember those scantrons in school? Had to be a #2. Never saw a pencil that wasn’t a #2…maybe it should’ve just been a #1

Remember those scantrons in school? Had to be a #2. Never saw a pencil that wasn’t a #2…maybe it should’ve just been a #1
still use scantrons here! :D is there anything other than #2?

At worst you will have to pull the head off the bank the pencil fell into. Pulling a head on the 5.0L engine isn't all that difficult. I got to the point where I could pull the head and reassemble it in less than two hours on my '89 Mustang even with a Kenne Bell supercharger installed.

So it sounds like the “skinny pencil”, the injector o ring and the injector “hat” all fell into the cylinder

(You were not able to retrieve the skinny pencil)
Correct?

Worst case is you will have to pull the head on that side
Requires head gasket new head bolts and lower intake gasket minimum

If it is just plastic bits now and no metal or pencil then there are other options

I would be shocked if you can't fish that pencil out with nothing more than the intake being removed. My guess is it's caught up in the intake valve. I just can't see an entire pencil getting past the valve. The rubber o-ring is no big deal...don't worry about it. The plastic piece will probably exit the exhaust with just cranking the engine. But if it did hit between the piston and the head, I'm not sure it wouldn't be fine...unless it's a big piece. I've seen a lot of crap get ingested through an engine just fine. If it were mine, I would remove the pencil and crank it over. I can't imagine a small piece of plastic breaking anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back