Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL)

Going to the dealer next week for an MFT fix...I hope. I'm going to try to talk my way in with this tip but I don't hold much hope. Regardless, it will go in the glove box for future reference. Sooner or later I'll find someone with a computer willing to tweak Ford's stupid restriction.

It's been proven that it works and the steps are here how to do it so there is no reason why they shouldn't try it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can CONFIRM that factory DRLs can be enabled on the Explorer.

Unfortunately, I promised the techs that I would NOT disclose who/where I had it done as the IDS laptop states that any changes to the BCM are not authorized and the techs are solely liable for any changes not authorized by Ford.

Ford's online service manual states that DRLs cannot be programmed by the dealership and is only available on Canadian and Fleet vehicles. The service department wanted the opportunity to play with it so they agreed to check it out and they let me see.

Hooked up the laptop, confirmed VIN/specs. Then went to exterior lighting, daytime running lights. Now the warning pops up about unauthorized changes. I gave him my "blessing" and he moved forward. There are two options: Daytime Running Lights - disable or enable AND Daytime Running Lights - None or Parking Lamps(HID)/Headlamps(Halogen). The first one tells the BCM to enable or disable the DRL function and the second one tells it which lights to illuminate.

On the non-HID models the headlamps come on with reduced power while the HID vehicles have the turn signal (3157?) bulb light up.

Once that is complete, the tech needs to do a key cycle thing to clear codes and VOILA! DRLs enabled.

Enjoy and press the dealership that it can be done if you really want it... Now make this a sticky!

OK, here's the deal. Took the 2011 Explorer in today to finally get our MFT Nav fixed. Jury still out on that but, while there I gave the dealer a copy of your instructions on how to set up the DRL. The service tech called at mid morning to tell me that the DRL fix required the use of one of their computers and it would cost $31. Nobody argued about whether it was doable or would violate any Ford policy. Yesterday I checked with the insurance company to see how much of a discount I was getting.........$3.61 for DRL I'll be really old before I break even but I'm happy to have the ambers lighting my way...and hopefully keeping me safer on the road...thanks for the great tip.

OK, here's the deal. Took the 2011 Explorer in today to finally get our MFT Nav fixed. Jury still out on that but, while there I gave the dealer a copy of your instructions on how to set up the DRL. The service tech called at mid morning to tell me that the DRL fix required the use of one of their computers and it would cost $31. Nobody argued about whether it was doable or would violate any Ford policy. Yesterday I checked with the insurance company to see how much of a discount I was getting.........$3.61 for DRL I'll be really old before I break even but I'm happy to have the ambers lighting my way...and hopefully keeping me safer on the road...thanks for the great tip.

It definitely requires their computer. It needs to be connected to the car to access the BCM options. Once he gets to the exterior light/drl option it will throw a prompt that any changes are unauthorized by Ford, etc... I know because the tech let me watch over his shoulder the entire time.

$3.61 for every 6-month policy or per year? If it's every six months you'll break even at 4 years.

Either way, glad it will hopefully work out for you!:thumbsup:

Great post... I took delivery last week and am going to march the vehicle back to the dealer to have this fix made. I have DRL on my 07 Solstice, they have had no impact on bulb life (have not had to replace any in 5 years). The factor of being more visible to others, is the big plus on safety .

Great post... I took delivery last week and am going to march the vehicle back to the dealer to have this fix made. I have DRL on my 07 Solstice, they have had no impact on bulb life (have not had to replace any in 5 years). The factor of being more visible to others, is the big plus on safety .

I agree. Because it's the 3157 bulb I cannot see the bulb life being impacted enough to the point to where it needs to be replaced frequently.

Though, as close as that bulb is it's a pain in the arse to replace...

IT CAN BE DONE my dealer fought me for half an hour, tried to humor me, bully me with huge fees... telling me these forums are BS, etc... however, after cajolling him through a couple of tries (he quite first before doing the whole routine laid out herein)... Once he settled down and let me guide him through each step, success... he was surprised to say the least... admitted he learned something FORD did not teach him... so, now I have DRL as parking lights snce i seem to have HID, eventho the spec sheet says halogen... I have a pair of 7 super white led bars to go in the grill, which will now be wired to park lights

PS... NO clear key code rotutine was required... everything works once the final selections made... note. vehicle was running during the process...

so, now I have DRL as parking lights snce i seem to have HID, eventho the spec sheet says halogen... I have a pair of 7 super white led bars to go in the grill, which will now be wired to park lights

Thanks for the write-up. Can you clarify- the main headlights are functioning as DRL's, or the parking lights are DRL's?

Thanks!

RandyH - According to the DRL post I followed from another thread herein, the headlights can only be activated as DRL if they are NOT HID. Something to do with the way HID work. If you have Halogen lights, then the headlights can be activated as DRLs otherwise the only choice will be the front parking/marker lights (yellow). My spec sheet showed I was to have Halogen, but apparently I got HiIntensity therefore, my plan for this weekend is to install a pair of 4" (7 super white LED) bars within a grill slot, wired to the park lights. The beauty of having the factory activated DRL system, is that all the controls are inplace, like the fact they are only activated once the vehicle is in a driving gear. Any aftermarket add on light you may want, can be simply wired to the activated circuit.

Going to the dealer next week for an MFT fix...I hope. I'm going to try to talk my way in with this tip but I don't hold much hope. Regardless, it will go in the glove box for future reference. Sooner or later I'll find someone with a computer willing to tweak Ford's stupid restriction.

Were you able to get your dealer and/or someone else to do this?

I'm looking to disable and/or have it changed to the HID DRL's (turn signals lit up). My car is in transit and doesn't have the HID package and I wanted to add aftermarket HID's. The DRL's pose a problem and even if I use a load resistor I don't want the HID's on every time I'm driving as it will reduce the life of the ballast and bulbs.

if you have headlights set as drl, it easy for the dealer to go into the bcm with their computer and toggle the option for drl from headlights to park lights.

Were you able to get your dealer and/or someone else to do this?

I'm looking to disable and/or have it changed to the HID DRL's (turn signals lit up). My car is in transit and doesn't have the HID package and I wanted to add aftermarket HID's. The DRL's pose a problem and even if I use a load resistor I don't want the HID's on every time I'm driving as it will reduce the life of the ballast and bulbs.

being in Hawaii, your vehicle will in all likelyhood, not have drl, as Ford does not activate US vehicles... but, any dealer tech with laptop can switch them on, headlights or parklights are the two choices With HID, there is only one choice... having said that, mine have somehow switched from park to turn circuits...

being in Hawaii, your vehicle will in all likelyhood, not have drl, as Ford does not activate US vehicles... but, any dealer tech with laptop can switch them on, headlights or parklights are the two choices With HID, there is only one choice... having said that, mine have somehow switched from park to turn circuits...

Thanks for the info. I'll see if my dealer here can reprogram it to have the turn bulb illuminated instead of the headlights. My EX is a company car so it's technically considered a fleet vehicle. The window sticker shows DRL's activated..which they charged $45 bucks by the way.

http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=1FMHK8F82CGA45165

Tropici, do you have any pics of the add on for the LEDs?

DRL connected

Went to my friendly Ford Dealer for a sync upgrade and asked if they could activate my DRL's, "sure, no problem," and presto, I now have operable DRL's with my HID's.

Went to my friendly Ford Dealer for a sync upgrade and asked if they could activate my DRL's, "sure, no problem," and presto, I now have operable DRL's with my HID's.

Doesn't Bohunk and Glen Elyn, Ill. have something to do with the movie "Sixteen Candles"? Didn't Long Duc Dong have a line about someone being referred to as a hairy "Bohunk"? And aren't all of the John Hughes movies based there? Or am I grasping at crazy ass straws?

Nice job, BTW....We'll see once mine arrives....:thumbsup:

What with Factory HID's, I didnt see the option in the service techs PC? It only showed the parking lights (amber) What production date do you have, maybe they slipped an update in the computer in later My 2012's.

Drl

DRL's only operate on Amber Parking Lights at brighter display with no headlights/parking lights on and do not illuminate in "park" HID included in Rapid Spec 302A-Limited. Guessing production date of 01-25-11.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Funny thing. I did the same thing a couple of months ago. My dealer was programming the BCM and i was looking at it while he browsed over DLR, so I asked him to enable it. Dealers can activate this, but im not sure they are authorized to do it. Im running with both my front turn lamps ON for DRL.

How they work: Once you remove the gear from parking, the STRONG light will turn on. If you hit the turn signal lets say to the right, the left one stays ON but the right one goes intermittent.

Good luck.

I can CONFIRM that factory DRLs can be enabled on the Explorer.

Unfortunately, I promised the techs that I would NOT disclose who/where I had it done as the IDS laptop states that any changes to the BCM are not authorized and the techs are solely liable for any changes not authorized by Ford.

Ford's online service manual states that DRLs cannot be programmed by the dealership and is only available on Canadian and Fleet vehicles. The service department wanted the opportunity to play with it so they agreed to check it out and they let me see.

Hooked up the laptop, confirmed VIN/specs. Then went to exterior lighting, daytime running lights. Now the warning pops up about unauthorized changes. I gave him my "blessing" and he moved forward. There are two options: Daytime Running Lights - disable or enable AND Daytime Running Lights - None or Parking Lamps(HID)/Headlamps(Halogen). The first one tells the BCM to enable or disable the DRL function and the second one tells it which lights to illuminate.

On the non-HID models the headlamps come on with reduced power while the HID vehicles have the turn signal (3157?) bulb light up.

Once that is complete, the tech needs to do a key cycle thing to clear codes and VOILA! DRLs enabled.

Enjoy and press the dealership that it can be done if you really want it... Now make this a sticky!

Back