• Register Today It's free!

intake

kbauer110

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT (bone stock)
ok...you know the intake tube that connects the throttle body to the Mass Airflow Sensor??? well...can you replace that with a steel tube even though it has the oil breather hooked up to it??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

but see the thing is...i dont have a welder or a grinder...so how would you suggest that i fab somethin like that up?

just put a filter on on from your local parts store.it wont matter these motor dont produce that much crank gases and you still have one on the other side.wile your at it you might want to do a mustang 70mm maf

Curious about this, I bought flexible tubing and just cut a slit in the tube and stuck the oil breather tube in the hole. Am I fine? The truck has been like that for about 2-3 months and I've had no problems.

i think im just gonna buy a kkm intake and call it good...how much do those 70mm TB cost...if they are too expensive...i might just go find one from a junkyard thats in decent shape...then how much would it cost?

You can make a breather filter tube( holder) with:
a piece of the crankcase breather tube cut to length.( it goes onto the nipple where the long hose comes from the intake and goes to the Crankcase itself. It holds the elbow to the crankcase.)

A Ninety Degree elbow (fits inside breather tube hose)

and order or get a filter from an auto parts store

I ordered the K&N Oil Breather and it comes attached to a rubber fitting (to slide over the Elbow) , a small hose clamp, and a tube of filter lube (oil). All ya do it slide them all together. That's it. Takes about 3 or 4 minutes to fab up once you have all of the parts. And it keeps you intake tube rid of that awesome sticky slude that develops in there.:thumbsup:

mmk...sounds good...i have another question...do TB spacers actually work?? cuz it sounds like a load of horse **** to me.

If you're not hooked up at the oil breather to the intake tube and you have your PCV hooked up at the intake manifold, then you get air into the intake that's not monitored by the MAF. Out of balance situation.

how is it monitored by the maf when its after the maf?

PCV air flow

how is it monitored by the maf when its after the maf?

Air flows thru your filter and then the MAF sensor. After the MAF sensor some flows thru the tube, into the crankcase, then out of the crankcase thru the PCV valve and into the intake manifold to be burned. That way only air that has been measured by the MAF sensor ends up getting burned. If air is drawn into the engine that has not been measured then the air/fuel ratio will be affected. However, when the fuel system is in closed loop the O2 sensors will detect the difference and the PCM will compensate for it.

alright! somebody answer my questions!!! how much does a 70mm mustang throttle body cost? do the throttle body spacers work like they claim they do?? answer those 2 questions and i will be happy!

tb spacers dont work and i dont know about the 70mm tb.you sure you dont mean maf?

yes sorry thats wat i mean. but what is that gonna do for the performance?

its way bigger just swap out the electronics from your old one to the new one
24op08p.jpg

spacers & throttle body

The only time a spacer is useful on your fuel injected vehicle is if it takes up the slack in your throttle cable or if there is a signficant mismatch between your throttle body outlet diameter and your intake manifold inlet port. With the stock throttle body there is no mismatch. There are numerous threads on this forum about the throttle cable mod to eliminate slack and gain significant horsepower. SOHC Throttle Cable Mod is one example. There are others less complicated.

A 70mm throttle body will improve your engine's response to throttle change and possibly increase your maximum horsepower slightly. I'm sorry I don't have a price for you - I went with a 75mm. Here's a lengthy thread that discusses the 70mm Mustang 4.6 throttle body on a 4.0 SOHC Explorer and here's another long one about what I did. 75mm throttle body for 4.0L SOHC?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back