• Register Today It's free!

interesting lift news

JamesVW73

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
two 92 XLT 4x4s :D
somehow i managed to stuff 33s (Goodyear Wrangler MT/R) under the fenders of my 92, on stock wheels, with only f150 spacers and shackles as a lift! Very minor rubbing on the inner fender at the rear, no fender rub, no bumper rub, im baffled. pictures in the morning

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hate to steal your thunder, but thats not amazing.

hate to steal your thunder, but thats not amazing.

well, amazing or not to you, oh well. it is to me. everything I have read has said it wouldn't work. wheels are going on today. here's what i've got.

Oh yes, they are 12.5s

Attachments

• img021.jpg
    img021.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 409

wow, that looks really good. did you regear? where did you have to trim?
havent regeared yet, its 3.27s, it drives like crap. 4.56s go in in the next couple of days. due to the offest on the stock wheel, it rubs a little on the sway bar at full lock, other than that, at the very bottom corner of the fender liner. it seems from everyone else's experience, i might be an exception. at the rear with these tires, and shackles, im 36" from the top of the fender to the ground. Wheels go on this afternoon, american racing AR767s 15x8 with a 4" backspace. should poke out nicely. THEN i might have to trim more lol

havent regeared yet, its 3.27s, it drives like crap. 4.56s go in in the next couple of days. due to the offest on the stock wheel, it rubs a little on the sway bar at full lock, other than that, at the very bottom corner of the fender liner. it seems from everyone else's experience, i might be an exception. at the rear with these tires, and shackles, im 36" from the top of the fender to the ground. Wheels go on this afternoon, american racing AR767s 15x8 with a 4" backspace. should poke out nicely. THEN i might have to trim more lol

wow, i was worried about having them on 3.73's, i do want 33's for the extra axle clearance and they look totally badass, but i dont want the extra cost of regearing. if im gonna spend 3k on a lift, i might as well SAS haha.

thanks.

i hear ya, im just taking it easy until fri, my 4.56s are coming in. yay for tons of money at once :) Wheels are on

Attachments

• img022.jpg
    img022.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 375
  • img023.jpg
    img023.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 377
  • img024.jpg
    img024.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 375

where did you come up with such an idea??? ..lol.....when did you do your lift??? and how much was it??? including alignment???
...i get asked this all the time...do you have a before picture you can also post??? it looks good and i like them tires...:D

where did you come up with such an idea??? ..lol.....when did you do your lift??? and how much was it??? including alignment???
...i get asked this all the time...do you have a before picture you can also post??? it looks good and i like them tires...:D

lol lift i did last week. all it is is F150 spacers and shackles. thats it. lemme see if i can find a 'before' shot. my idea was 'let me see if i can cram these things in here' and it worked haha
img004.jpg

its the closest thing to a stock pic i can find, stock tires, f150 spacers and shackles

well, amazing or not to you, oh well. it is to me.

As long as you're happy with what the outcome is, that's all that matters. I think your explorer looks freakin sweet with those rims and tires, and with the 4.56s itll be that much better. Oh ya, my opinion matters too :)

:) ive gotten nothing but positive things said about it. I'm quite pleased thus far, considering i'm 21, ive had my X almost 4 years. 206k on the odo. I rebuilt the engine AND trans by myself. everything works beautifully and i can still cruise on the hwy. when i tell everyone everything ive done to it, they seem amazed. it just needs to be a tad higher for a little better clearance. its fine for road use, but will prob rub offroad. anyone sellin a 5.5" kit? lolol

...mounty71, ..lol...you go boy...;)

...jamesvw73, pics show up best at 640x480...:D ...but thanks for the comparison pic...

thats the res my crap camera phone took it at lol

...i take it , it must have aligned ok??? how much was the alignment for it???

...i take it , it must have aligned ok??? how much was the alignment for it???
aligned right into factory specs. apparently the original owner had installed cam adjusters on it before i bought it, i had eyeballed it in my driveway before i took it to sears (I'm a tech there) caster and camber were dead on, all that needed adjusting was toe. it costed me nothing. most sears' charge 64.99 for an alignment, plus whatevery various parts or bushing u may need. warrantied for 6 months/6000 miles

...cool, that is good news and a very important piece of information to the other guys looking to do this same thing...:D

it also drives exactly like stock, except for it being really apparent that my rag joints in my steering shaft are shot all to hell haha. time for poly bushings and a steering stabilizer. any reccomendations on a brand of stabilizer?

the beauty of the warranty is that when i wheel this thing, and knock it out of alignment, i take it back, and they fix it for free :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if anyone is in the market for new tires, i suggest the MT/Rs. they ride a LOT quieter than you would expect, and are still some of the best MT tires around.

Back