Its here - Electric Cooling Fan install | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Its here - Electric Cooling Fan install

Aldive,
how was the MPG and power?

Black Magic,
Did you try this if so how did it turn out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by eworx
Aldive,
how was the MPG and power?

Hard to tell at this stage. I do feel power increase as well as a mileage boost.

The fan was definately worth it.

Ford Taurus fan cheaper than Black Magic!

I would recommend using one of the 1988-1995 Ford Taurus/Merc Sable/Lincoln 3.8l V6 electric fans. The fans are a 2 speed, and depending on your requirements you can use the low, or high speed, or use a DPDT switch and switch from one speed to the other. I read about it on the Pirate Bulletin Board and http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/index.shtml I used to run a 16" Hayden electric fan but with the lack of a fan shroud, my truck was overheating pretty badly. In my case, the fan with the built in shroud covers nearly my whole radiator. I have only the low speed setting connected right now, and it works great! I am hoping to get the high speed setup sometime but it is not a high priority. The best part was the price~ $15.00 each at the local PNP, and $30.00 at the local they-pull-it boneyard. I am also using a fixed 180* thermo fan controller. Although my writeup and pics are on a Toyota, I have helped a buddy install one in his '94 Dodge Dakota and am hoping to help my buddy install one in his 97 Explorer.

pics~ http://community.webshots.com/album/81926719ZExocS

writeup (Toyota 3.0 V6 but an engine is an engine!)
http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14622&highlight=taurus+fan

Al, hows this fan holding up? Still doing good? I have one sitting here, that i can have for free, its the same as yours cept it has certian brackets for s-10, but im sure i could fab some brackets for me.... I offroad, but ill keep in eye on the temps, prolly get a digital temp guage.......

Would you still recommend this fan??

Thanks

I, too am thinking of this mod, but was apprehensive due to the lack of positive response in the past.

The fan is still performing perfectly. I have NO complaints with it. One of the best mods I have ever done.

Well its be on for 1 1/2 years and a lot of miles in the hot Florida climate with not a single problem.

you have inspired many of us to try this with your success al.
but i have one thing to work out before i try it.

it seems the biggest downfall to the blackmagik fan is the inadequate shroud.

this wasnt a factor for you, but it would help many offroaders who dont want to overheat and get stranded.

surely there is a way we can install this with a full fan shroud so that it uses the entire radiator surface. how can this be fabbed up?
i wouldnt know how to make plastic anything, so what about metal?

even better, might be this. This is what DMan446 did with the stock shroud.
he used a 16" whereas i might try an 18" to fill up the shroud better.
im thinkin that would bring more air through the front.

I was doing some investigating after reading this thread and decided to sent an email to Flex-a-lite. The following is the interesting response received.

From: "Bob Reader" <bob@flex-a-lite.com> Add to Address Book
To: <chemistry_0518@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Comments from Website
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:22:25 -0800

Hello,
If you were to use the 398 syclone fan I would recommend using your
stock shroud with it. The 150 will not be enough fan to properly cool down
the Explorer. I would need the core dimension, height and width of the
finned area to determine the best fit electric for this application. The new
180 may be the best. You would need 4 3/16" depth to have enough room to
mount it.
Bob Reader
Customer Service
Flex-a-lite Cond

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 4:06 PM
To: flex@flex-a-lite.com
Subject: Comments from Website
Importance: High

The following are form results from your web site:

Name: L M

Email: chemistry_0518@yahoo.com

Comments: Your website is highly informative and easy to navigate, but
there was one question that I could not find an answer for. I own a 1995
Ford Explorer Limited and I am planning to replace the stock fan with either
your Syclone S-blade or Black Magic 150. Would I keep the stock fan shroud
in either of these applications? Is there a frame mount available for the
Syclone?

It funny that they would say that about the BM 150. I have had mine installed for almost 2 years now without ever having a heat related worry, even while towing inthe Florida heat. I did not retain my factory shroud either, I used the one that came withthe BM 150.

I don't know what to say to you; it definately worked for me.

Attachments

• jeep2.jpg
    jeep2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 925

Like Al I have had zero issues with the 150, an Offroader might, the new 180 sounds like the ticket overall, if it will fit your application.

spindlecone said:
Like Al I have had zero issues with the 150, an Offroader might, the new 180 sounds like the ticket overall, if it will fit your application.

being an offroader i never had a problem with that fan, never got to hot, till that one time that the wire came off the hookup and it didnt allow my fan to come on....

Im very confident in this fan, Im also plannign to put it in my Jeep when i get around to it...

The fan that the company is recommending ( the 180 ) was not available when I installed my 150.

I wonder if they are pushing that model since it is new and I bet more expensive.

aldive said:
The fan that the company is recommending ( the 180 ) was not available when I installed my 150.

I wonder if they are pushing that model since it is new and I bet more expensive.
Just new to the market, are 10 bucks more than the 150, but try to find one.

Just for comparison, I have the next size up from this fan on my modified F150 (331 Stroker, etc etc) and I can leave mine idling in traffic, and it keeps my truck cool no problems.
Great write up Al. :thumbsup:

I wonder if in my inquiry they were making reference to a V8 X. In that case perhaps the 180 would be a more suitable choice. I still feel that I might lean toward the Syclone model because, first, I can retain the stock shroud, and second, I like the efficiency of the curved blades that nearly completely fill the shroud (as determined by measurements offered).

spindlecone said:
Just new to the market, are 10 bucks more than the 150, but try to find one.
Correction, are about 40 bux more than the 150, summit will have them mid Feb.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm.. A fan may still be in my future then! 3300CFM.. not too shabby.

Back