Its here - Electric Cooling Fan install | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Its here - Electric Cooling Fan install

Would it possible to have two fans? one on the inside, one on the outside of the radiator?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SilverBullet said:
Would it possible to have two fans? one on the inside, one on the outside of the radiator?

Yes it is possible depending on the fans ( a "pusher" and a "puller" ) selected ( due to fit ). However, I really do not see a need for that type of a setup.

I think also it is good to keep in mind that a good clean cooling system helps a good amount along with the correct antifreeze and water mixture... I have a V-6 with dual fans and use the smaller pusher as a a/c only fan....

I was looking at the new 180 Flex-a-Lite fan (http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/180_black_magic_x-treme.html) and I wonder if this fan shroud that it comes with would be as efficient as the stock fan shroud.

I have found the OEM fan shroud to be very effective.

If that is the case, then I could use a Syclone S-blade fan (which does not come with a shroud) and keep the OEM shroud.

I *WILL NOT* mount a fan "in-core". I will always use brackets.

Would think it depends on how coverage you get over the core with the 180 shroud.
On mine I have zero core exposed top and bottom,one inch on the sides exposed

It would be easier to install an electric fan from a crown victoria as the radiator dementions are the same as the explorer. The CV fan also flows 4800 cfm compared to the black magics 2800 cfm. Both draw 10 amps.

What size is the shroud though? Not sure if it's the same fan as in the Mark VIII, but I had a Mark fan and there wasn't enough clearance.

Interesting, because the Crown Vics have both an electric fan, and a mechanical fan. I wonder if the CV fan will fit a 99 Explorer?

This is the electic fan and I have it installed in my X. Almost one year and no problems so far. It is a direct bolt on.

have any pics rick?
what year crown vic? did you just buy one from a junk yard?
how hard was the wiring and setting up the temp sensor?

RickOTR, do you have a fan from a Crown Vic installed? What additional parts did you need?

I have been searching for a fan from a 96-98 Crown Vic or Grand Marquis but as yet have not come across one that was not severely damaged.

The fan I have is from a 1996 CV police intercepter that I found in a junk yard. You may have to look really good, that is what I had to do. Lincoln and Crown Victoria have different radiator supports so it will not work. Also check out E-Bay a I have seen a few on there site. Sorry no pics.

Shouldn't the equipment be the same on the Mercury Grand Marquis?

Yes, but check, the police car may have a better fan than all others. How thick are those CV fans? Where did the ten ampere draw figure come from? Most decent aftermarket fans pull at least fifteen amps.

Anybody put an electric fan on their 3rd gen with a 4.6? Just wondering what is out there and what is working for people.

My Black Magic Fan once again proved that it can indeed cut the mustard a few days ago.

On a trip yo Atlanta, I got stuck in traffic about 20 miles S of the airport on I75. It was bumper to bumper for 15 miles at virtually 0 MPH. I was in this mess for 1 1/2 hours.

The ambient temperature ( counting road heat, etc ) was 124 F.

The tranny fluid temp rose to a max of 201 F. The temperature gauger on the truck never moved. The AC never ceased to cool.

My Black Magic 150 fan again proved it was up to the task.

150 do's indeed work, is just so friggen noisy compared to the 180

Excellent update, Aldive. That pretty much proves its worth.

Is the 150 the same fan Rick used? It makes no sense how it works great in 123 degree weather w/ A/C on, but it didn't work on a few other X's that tried it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

huskyfan23 said:
Is the 150 the same fan Rick used? It makes no sense how it works great in 123 degree weather w/ A/C on, but it didn't work on a few other X's that tried it.

I have no clue, but I too find it strange that others have not been successful.

Back