Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more) | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more)

Well I purchased 91 explorer 4x4, 4 door, 5speed from a coworker for 100 dollars. It had an electrical fire inside. So the whole inside was pretty much trashed. I got it with the plan to build it into a weekend warrior. The plans include Herculined interior, roll cage, full width dana 44 and 9 inch swap, custom bumpers, onboard air, rebuild motor, trans and some other things. This project will take me awhile. I want to take my time and do it right the first time. Everything i wanted to do to my 93 will be done to this 91. So it make take some time to see any major changes but I will update as offten as I can. I would also like to hear some of your ideas if you have any. I will be making a list of things that i have done and how much the cost me. I want to keep the cost down as much as possible. Pics will also be added as i go along.

Things Done So Far
91 Explorer- 100 dollars
Rewired and replaced dash.- 40 dollars from the junk yard.
Painted interior and leftover interior panels flat black- 20 dollars
Herculined the floor- 40 dollars
Dana 44 and Ford 9 inch- 150 dollars
Disc brake caliper brackets off a 78 mercury - 10 dollars
Chopped the top- Free
Upgraded the front seat from a 99 eddie bauer- 20 bucks

These pics are the old dash

dash2.jpg

dash4.jpg

dash3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

looks awesome :) Gotta love the first fit of the big ol tires, thats when you see it all come together!

here is the fender all done. Now i have plenty of room. what a difference a 38 is compared to the bald P235x75r15. Looks alot better with the bigger tire on there. Its finally starting to come together. Now i need to decide if i want to run 38's or 37's

IM000402.jpg

What did you use to trim the fender?

Positive Vibes said:
What did you use to trim the fender?

an air body saw. I like it i have used this thing so many times. its worth the money. I think i'm goin 38's cause i think they look damn good and plus now they fit. :D

Joe93 said:
Now i need to decide if i want to run 38's or 37's or maybe some 40s
I say 40s. :D

:eek: Holy Sawzalll :eek:

Nick26 said:
is the edge of the fender sharp now though? wouldn't want the tire to hit at full stuff, i imagine itd slice right into it?
Thats why you cut it high enough that the tire is an inch away from it at full stuff.

Kirby N. said:
:eek: Holy Sawzalll :eek:

I knew i could make them fit. Yeah the edge is sharp. I'll fix it if it becomes a problem. I was trying to go with the least amount of lift and the largest tire i could.

Looks good Joe. You can fix the sharp edge by using Door trim guard. You can find this in rolls at your local Auto Zone for a couple bucks.

Trckmagik said:
Looks good Joe. You can fix the sharp edge by using Door trim guard. You can find this in rolls at your local Auto Zone for a couple bucks.

thats a good idea i'll look into that thanks

Looks good Joe! I am ready to see what it can do!

Kirby N. said:
Looks good Joe! I am ready to see what it can do!

so am i the more i work on it the more i cant wait. Thanks again for leting me borrow your spare. I'll let you know about that reamer after i talk to the guy on friday. How did tuesday go?

Tuesday went great! I am now a proud father! I got to get a Barbie Jeep for her! Let me know on the reemer, unfortunately I don't think I am going to have as much spare time as I thought!!!

Kirby

no you are not :)

congrats!

so hows this explorer comin' along ?

well here is the latest addition to the list of things to do. Need to tear it down and see what it needs if anything then put it it in. Also got another five speed trans also.

IM000410.jpg

Back