John_Rock's 2001 Sport Trac 4x4 | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

John_Rock's 2001 Sport Trac 4x4

Well, I've been an Elite member for probably like two years. I guess it's time to put something in the Elite Registry. So here goes...

Engine: Stock 4.0L (245) SOHC SEFI V-6
Transmission: Stock Ford 5R55E 5 -Speed Automatic Overdrive
Transfer Case: Borg Warner 1354 electric shift - Gear Ratio ? Low ? 2.48:1
Steering: Stock Power, Ford - Rack and Pinion (Includes Steering Cooler) - Ratio 19.1:1 Static
Front Suspension: Superlift 4" lift
Rear Suspension: Spring over axle
Front Axle: Dana35 with a LockRight locker
Rear Axle: Ford 8.8 with a LockRight locker
Communications: Cobra 75 WX ST 40 Channel CB, Wilson 1000 antenna
Recovery Equipment: 60" Hi-Lift jack, 20' looped end tow strap.
Tires/Wheels: Super Swamper TSL/SX on 15x10 American Racing AR-767 wheels
Exterior: Performance Accessories 3" body lift. Gloria Zimmerman Rocksliders.
Interior: Leather seats, power moonroof, power rear window.
Audio: Stock CD/AM/FM radio.
Future Mods: Try to get rid of the rust before it falls apart.

Before Pic
41072001012701.jpg

After Pic
P1020775.jpg

Purchased 6/30/2000. It was 4th of July weekend, and I took her out for some camping and
minor offroading in Big Bend National Park in 110 degree heat. I put my first scratches on her that weekend.
I was just letting her know how hard she would have to work for me.

I bought her fully loaded. I think the only option I didn't have was the audiophile stereo system and of course the hard tonneau cover wasn't available yet.

Big Bend National Park
410700703051.jpg

I pretty much left her stock in appearance for over a year. Thanks to this website I learned about the KKM performance filter and installed it.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My inner was still locked in by the ring and had to be pried out.
It seems like it slipped out and when it did it broke off one of the bearings of the three.and would not slip back in again/
I am in the process of designing a bracket for the other side to keep it all straight when i take off the diff bracket and straighten it, and put it back on.
i have access to a press so fixing that bracket will be easy, maybe even see if it can be braced with a gusset

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So last night I changed out the side mirror on the driver's door. Then I try to start her. Nada, nothing! Just blinking lights and chimes. I was hoping it's just a dead battery even though its not acting like it should when it is a dead battery. I leave it alone and I go put my jump box to charge inside the house. I move on to other things and then go to bed.

I get up this morning and try the jump box. Wala, nada, zipp~! Still nothing. I swap in the battery from my 2000 Limited. Still nothing. Dammit! It must be the alarm system malfunctioning. :shoot::banghead:

So I pull the lower dash apart...

39591_160574177296414_100000314975405_373862_43150_n.jpg

What a cluster ####. I think I had that **** installed back in 2002 or 2003. And it took the guy days to do it.

I'm going crazy. After doing all the other work to the truck to get her ready for a trip and then to have this mess.

Well, I had one good sneaking suspicion as to the culprit to the problem. When I had the cluster #### of an alarm system installed I had him install an option for the remote start. And it was actually an electronic solution. Not the strap an extra key to the column remote start solutions. I figure that key transponder circuit was malfunctioning. So I removed it from the system and spliced back the wire it had interrupted in the system. She is now starting again. :thumbsup:

Someday I want to remove the rest of that alarm crap.

Are you gonna be making Truckhaven now? If so, that's a big:D

techieman33[06:24pm] : hows the bracket problem going?
Corkey[06:25pm] : it\'s not bent after all,
Corkey[06:25pm] : the locating bracket on the one side is not long enough,
cybergasm[06:25pm] : Hi Pete
Corkey[06:25pm] : hey Dave
techieman33[06:25pm] : oh
Corkey[06:26pm] : on the passenger side there is a bracket from the frame to the diff mount,i took it off, and had a [* censored *] of a time getting it back on,
techieman33[06:27pm] : lol
Corkey[06:27pm] : when i did get it back on the diff was off to the passenger side 3/4 of an inch,
techieman33[06:27pm] : those kits don\'t fit so well
Corkey[06:27pm] : it\'s all Superlifts fault,

...Are you on your way yet???...:bounce:

... Truckhaven silly....:confused:
Posted via Mobile Device

Looking good John!!
I just noticed your front plate, :biggthump
I saw that zukman has the light covers with the skull, next item to order!

you will have to let us know how the fix worked out for the front,,

fingers crossed,,

you will have to let us know how the fix worked out for the front,,

fingers crossed,,
So far so good. No problems. And this is a very flexy environment. And I'm not running a locker in the front axle either. So no broken CV's from that either.

i was hoping you would say that,,
i took mine all apart yesterday and moved it back till the drop brackets were straight up and down, , must have moved my diff over 1/2 inch at least,

This is one of my fave ST's...

Si

In August of 2003 I added another Explorer to my stable. A 2000 Explorer Limited AWD v8 model.

A couple of years down the road it may get lifted and get a real 4wd transfercase so that I can offroad it too. For now it will be used for towing the Sport Trac around.

410709070012.jpg

410709070011.jpg

After some interesting carnage from my last trip to Gilmer, it spurred me to get this 2nd vehicle.

That's it for now. I'll update this thread as things change.

Regards,
John

I've never seen anything like some of these shots, wow... :)

I without a doubt think John had the best Sport Trac I've seen. I never really liked ST until I saw his. Didn't someone from the site buy it from his daughter? RIP John.

Cjpooch, I purchased John's Trac from his daughter. I have one as well that John helped me build that mirrored his. I've got his in the garage right now trying to get it back to being road worthy :)

Back