John_Rock's 2001 Sport Trac 4x4 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

John_Rock's 2001 Sport Trac 4x4

Well, I've been an Elite member for probably like two years. I guess it's time to put something in the Elite Registry. So here goes...

Engine: Stock 4.0L (245) SOHC SEFI V-6
Transmission: Stock Ford 5R55E 5 -Speed Automatic Overdrive
Transfer Case: Borg Warner 1354 electric shift - Gear Ratio ? Low ? 2.48:1
Steering: Stock Power, Ford - Rack and Pinion (Includes Steering Cooler) - Ratio 19.1:1 Static
Front Suspension: Superlift 4" lift
Rear Suspension: Spring over axle
Front Axle: Dana35 with a LockRight locker
Rear Axle: Ford 8.8 with a LockRight locker
Communications: Cobra 75 WX ST 40 Channel CB, Wilson 1000 antenna
Recovery Equipment: 60" Hi-Lift jack, 20' looped end tow strap.
Tires/Wheels: Super Swamper TSL/SX on 15x10 American Racing AR-767 wheels
Exterior: Performance Accessories 3" body lift. Gloria Zimmerman Rocksliders.
Interior: Leather seats, power moonroof, power rear window.
Audio: Stock CD/AM/FM radio.
Future Mods: Try to get rid of the rust before it falls apart.

Before Pic
41072001012701.jpg

After Pic
P1020775.jpg

Purchased 6/30/2000. It was 4th of July weekend, and I took her out for some camping and
minor offroading in Big Bend National Park in 110 degree heat. I put my first scratches on her that weekend.
I was just letting her know how hard she would have to work for me.

I bought her fully loaded. I think the only option I didn't have was the audiophile stereo system and of course the hard tonneau cover wasn't available yet.

Big Bend National Park
410700703051.jpg

I pretty much left her stock in appearance for over a year. Thanks to this website I learned about the KKM performance filter and installed it.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anything new in your thoughts about the front not being centered ?

i broke a cv too on the drivers side, seems they may get offset somehow, and allow the joint to slip apart,

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

anything new in your thoughts about the front not being centered ?

i broke a cv too on the drivers side, seems they may get offset somehow, and allow the joint to slip apart,
I thought that's what the limit straps are supposed to prevent. How long are your limit straps? Supposedly the ones Superlift sent me are 19.5". But I haven't checked them yet. I haven't installed them yet. They actually look to be short, but maybe they stretch under pressure?

my limit straps are set about 1 inch short of full droop on my coilovers.
i will have to measure them to see how long they are, they came off of Turdle, but i may have to tighten them up a bit, as it seemed like my cv came apart , not broke apart,

How long have you gone without the straps installed?

I would be terrified to run without them. The swaybar, ( I run without) is not enough of a limiter to save them C/V's.

Get them straps installed ASAP! ;)

i was also thinking of how many miles are on my cv's too, i have had the Ex for more than 130,000 miles, and never changed a cv yet,
yours broke with low miles, compared to mine, ,

I thought that's what the limit straps are supposed to prevent. How long are your limit straps? Supposedly the ones Superlift sent me are 19.5". But I haven't checked them yet. I haven't installed them yet. They actually look to be short, but maybe they stretch under pressure?
I just read the directions again for the Limit Straps.

Drill 3/4" down from factory hole and drill a 15/32" hole.
I was measuring from the factory hole I saw in the diagram.

Attachments

• limitstraps.JPG
    limitstraps.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,731

mine are exactly as per diagram, but in the morning in the light i will measure the strap,

i was also thinking of how many miles are on my cv's too, i have had the Ex for more than 130,000 miles, and never changed a cv yet,
yours broke with low miles, compared to mine, ,
I definitely never had the problem of the driver's side inner CV axle pulling apart until I installed the Superlift.

i saw a thread by Mountaineergreen about this same thing, he had a bent bracket, so next weekend i am going to check all of my brackets.
it seems one of them was affecting the diff placement, moving it to the passenger side a bit,, ,

how about this placement, , sure looks off to me,

now i know why the drivers side let go,, it has to be almost 3/4 of an inch to the passenger side,

Mine looks to be in the same position....

67332_160332060653959_100000314975405_372036_4687602_n.jpg

than it has to be a Superlift mistake,or yours is bent too , the bolt holes should be under each other in line , to keep the diff centered,,

Yeah but why does the axle need to be centered? I mean I dont see anything drivetrain related (axle shafts, etc..) thats being stressed. The CV shafts slip in and out (not fixed) of the spider gears so that's free to move (which is what its supposed to do since the IFS suspension patch of travel is an arc).

Iz,
If the differential is not cantered it means one side is closer to the outside lip of the inner cv joint than the other is,and also that much closer to coming apart when the suspension droops and the outer which is not made the same way as it is fixed pulls out when drooping.
I know the suspension is in an arc , but with a SLA suspension system it is not a perfect arc and at full droop it pulls apart the inner ,or pulls it far enough out to cause it to get near the edge which is weaker and breaks,,

But I though you were breaking the CV assembly, not the splined part that engages the differential. IMO, the only way you can destroy a CV, besides over-torquing, is to pull it apart (which can't happen in this situation since its allowed to slide in/out of the differential), or use it beyond its operating angle (which is what's probably happening).

Maybe shorten your limit straps by bolting up higher, or bolting farther out on the LCA.

Your straps may have stretched also, causing more droop.

I can recall Mountaineergreen & Turdle, also ran the limit straps according to Stuperlifts specs (inline with the swaybar links), and they went thru a few dr side C/V axles also. Seems to me, the straps are too long for that location.

Yep, I put my driver's side strap on today. And it definitely stretched/settled in and I'm sure it will give more and I may pop another driver's side CV if I don't get the axle to stay in the center. Superlift said the straps were 19.5". I didn't measure them, but maybe we need 18" or 17" straps.

Currently I'm struggling with replacing body bushings in the dark. Yippee!

And in the morning I will have to find replacement body bushing bolts since I had to cut off the old ones. :D

Maybe shorten your limit straps by bolting up higher, or bolting farther out on the LCA.

Your straps may have stretched also, causing more droop.

I can recall Mountaineergreen & Turdle, also ran the limit straps according to Stuperlifts specs (inline with the swaybar links), and they went thru a few dr side C/V axles also. Seems to me, the straps are too long for that location.

Evan never did have the straps-but I did. However I am convinced the bent diff bracket is the cause for the cv's breaking, because after Evan straightened that bracket, he never broke a cv.

I bet I bent it again in colorado the day I went down the ATV trail and broke 2 of em. And if you think about it, the passenger side must be stuffed and making a racket ---the cv is being "overshoved" into that side.

Even though the axles are "allowed" to slip doesn't mean they do. When I removed the broken ones the stubs were still "locked in" by the inner plastic ring and needed to be pried out.

Pete, was your broken stub locked in or did it slip out easily?

Back