jshexplo96 (Robbs 95 EB SAS) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jshexplo96 (Robbs 95 EB SAS)

So I think its probably time to start this thread so I can recieve info as well as constructive criticism. As some of you know I bought Robbs 95 SAS from him and have since been planning on putting an axle under it. (when i got it it had no suspension what so ever under the front...7hrs just to get it on the trailer) :rolleyes:

Well here is what Ive got planned...

For now I am using a yj d30 for mock up until I can find a Waggy 44.
I order trailmaster 4" lift 7-leaf waggy springs for the front. The back has a SOA with 3" blocks. Once I get the front on and get the explorer on the ground, I will decide what to do in the rear...i.e. if the front is higher then I will remove the blocks and order lift springs. If it is lower then I will try to remove the blocks.(basically dont like the blocks at all)!! I am working on the front crossmember/springhangers right now. I am gonna do shackles in the rear. I am really taking extra time to make the crossmembers and hangers bolt on...then if everything is right..weld it all up. Hopefully if someone likes it then I could make another one that they could bolt on at their house and then take it to a welder to weld. (pretty much trying to get a solution for those who dont have a welder handy at home, as I dont. All my work has to be done at my parents house)

The truck already has the steering pump mounted and plumbed, I think I am going to make a plate to reinforce it as it looks like it my be kinda weak.

Here are some pics for now...I will update soon with the crossmember and hangers..

Attachments

• SASFeb06 004.jpg
    SASFeb06 004.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 693
  • SASFeb06 001.jpg
    SASFeb06 001.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 708
  • SASFeb06 002.jpg
    SASFeb06 002.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 689
  • SASFeb06 003.jpg
    SASFeb06 003.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 714

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lookin' pretty good. I'm not a real big fan of the way the front x-member is set up, but to each his own.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yea...it will be alot better functionally and looks when I cut notches for the frame rails to sit it. dont know if that makes sense, but it will be more than plenty strong and the bumber covers everything when its bolted on.

jshexplo96 said:
Yea...it will be alot better functionally and looks when I cut notches for the frame rails to sit it. dont know if that makes sense, but it will be more than plenty strong and the bumber covers everything when its bolted on.

Ya, I get ya. That sounds like a good idea. Should be plenty strong after you burn it in there with the welder.

When you get it finished bring that ***** to tellico with us. I'm going with RRORC the first weekend of June.

Id love to. I dont know if I can have it finished but I might be able to get it together pretty decent. Well see, Im still looking for a d44.

Ive found my d44. Ill post pics later. Gonna start cleaning her up and rebuilding her.

How about an update on this beast?

an update would be good

the d44 I found ended up being from a 83 waggy which has the vac disconnect so I didnt get it. Still looking. Im waiting for a draglink in the mail so I can get it all finished up. Probably drive it on the d30 till I find a 44.

post some pics of what it looks like now :D

Can anyone chime in on what the prefered* or optimal shackle angle is???

Truck looks great Josh!!! :thumbsup:

Good to see it went to someone that would appreciate it!!! ;)

holly shat robb's back......but anyway updates?

Approximately 45 degrees.

3 months later....anything happen?

Do you live in West Ashley? How long have you had the truck in Charleston? (I somehow missed you getting this, I would've loved to help you wrench on it when I was there!)

Ya, get rid of those 4" lift waggy springs and get stock ones, you'll sit damn near perfect and they flex like hell. Git rid of the bolcks in the rear too.

As far as shackle angle, this is what I got.

Attachments

• mini-shackle angle.JPG
    mini-shackle angle.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 202
  • mini-flex1.JPG
    mini-flex1.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 196

Hey Man that looks Sweet.... Im in the pross of sas my rig i like how you mounted your stering box.. what did you do about adapting the stering lines, do i need to have them made? thats all i have left exept bottom shock mounts and stering link..
http://levisexplorer.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php

Back