JTX's D44 Solid Axle Swap Thread! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JTX's D44 Solid Axle Swap Thread!

Well i finally got almost all my parts gathered up so its time to start the thread. I decided to go solid mainly because the TTB couldnt take the abuse i was throwing at it. I needed something that could take a little more abuse while still being able to be road worthy. The TTB was a good axle, dont get me wrong, it just doesnt like 35's and 4.56's with a welded diff. :) Ill get some pictures and specs up within the next few days.

The goal, this is mainly a trail rig, Its already caged and the inside is gutted, once the solid axle is complete the Explorer will be getting a new paint job. After that im going wheeling for a couple years before my next major project!

Specs:

Front Axle
-1979 F-150 HP D44 Full-Width $120
-4.88 Gears and install kit (Installed myself) $150
-Mini Spoil/Possibly Aussie Locker
-Bronco Graveyard Coil Buckets
-Custom Lower Coil Mounts
-Custom Radius Arms with Heims
-SkyJacker 6 Inch Extended Brake Lines $Free
**I'll add more as i go

Rear Axle (Axle was used up to last year, in great condition)
-1979 F-150 Ford 9 Inch $120
-4.88 Gears and Install Kit $150
-Mini Spoil, came with gears $Free
-Brakes were brand new, no need to change.
-Stock Explorer Shocks
-79 Stock F-150 Brake Lines
-Custom Driveshaft
**I'll add more as i go

Before!
16785JTX3.jpg

16785PANA00321.jpg

16785PANA0028.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the dana 44 gears from Bronoco graveyard, the 9 inch gears i ordered from 4wheelparts because they came with a free spool.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Just wondering about your front end set-up. I'm planning my SAS and will use a full width D44 as well.

Just signing up. That will be cool to see it finished at Moab.

9 inch done
PANA0048.jpg

PANA0049.jpg

PANA0051.jpg

Waiting for Upper Coil Buckets
PANA0050.jpg

Sometime this week i hope, i ordered them last week. But ive yet to hear anything so who knows.

When you welded your perches on the 9, did you square up the differential or did you twist i up to face the tcase some?

I twisted it some, I tried to keep it about the same as the 8.8 was. I think i got it pretty close, im not to worry though, this aint no street queen! :))

I hear ya. I was just asking cause i've got some 2" lift blocks on mine now to level it out and wasn't sure if i was going to keep them.

so are you and your dad doing all the work?? looks good so far!

No just me really, ive been working on it alot. Got so much to do. I finally got it running again, the wiring to the fuel pump was shorting out. I just wired it to my switch panel.

Well itsa pretty much all done! All thats left is to make the shop hoops tomorrow at Brian1's. The steering is rigged until i get the right drag link, but it turns fine. Here's the pics!

PANA0055.jpg

PANA0054.jpg

PANA0053.jpg

PANA0052.jpg

looks badass, good work! get some more shots upclose of the front suspension

Looks good Joey! Nice seats too, Im guessing those didnt come from the upull it lol. Did you figure out the front drive shaft, it is missing in one of your pics :D

Look around at other SAS pics to see what you want your shock mounts to look like and either print them out or send me the direct pic links. If you dont have any you like we can figure them out. See you tomorrow.

Now you need to work on some new bumpers!

Thanks Brian! I'll look around for some pictures of shock mounts. I need to go to the U-Pull in the morning and get the front drive shaft and a better drag link. Its gonna be a fun ride to albs with no shocks on the front.

Robbie, ill get you some more soon!

Joey, the F250 towers would probably be the easiest/cheapest/fastest way to get a shock mount if you think they will fit. I think 1 of the dealers in town would have them in stock hopefully. Ford part # E5TZ18183A Should be $10-15 each.

Alright, ill call around in the morning and see if i can find any. Just may have to get new shocks.

How did you do the radius arm ends? Pics please:D

Back