Keeper's Explorer. Take two. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keeper's Explorer. Take two.

Welcome to my new registry. This is my 2000 Explorer XLT. Bought it from the original owner for $3,400. Came with the owners manual, and the paper work to prove it's been dealer maintained. When I purchased the Ex, it had 111,000 on the odometer, a small tear in the leather of the drivers seat, some sand in the back( take it the guy was a surfer, found a few surf board fins in the jack storage area). Gonna do a alignment when I get the chance, and start transferring all my mods from my Sport into this.

As she stands when I brought her home.

101_1666.jpg

101_1667.jpg

101_1668.jpg

101_1669.jpg

101_1670.jpg

How she currently stands.
102_0769.jpg

04/07/11

Current Mods:

Interior:

Exterior:

Lighting:
  • Sylvania Silverstars for the headlights.
  • x2 Hella 500 driving lights.
  • Fog light/ High beam mod.
  • LED Puddle lights, license plate lights.

Engine:4.0L SOHC

Suspension and Brakes

Drive Train

Projects for the future:
  • Quick disconnects for front and rear sway bar.
  • Possibly LS up front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Tomorrow after work the steps are coming off.

Also I'm trying to figure out how to go about mounting my Cobra 19 into the the center console. This seems like the ideal location to me, doesn't get in the way to much and easily accessed if I need to change channels and such. Below is a picture, I would like to make it as flush as possible and angled towards the driver. The upper cubby would give me more then enough room both width wise and depth. But it appears I'd have lots of room left over on the side. The lower cubby is more then wide enough, but I have a feeling that it's not going to be deep enough, plus if I put in there I won't be cutting down on my storage space.

101_1673-1.jpg

I'd like some of your ideas how I can go about mounting them. Pictures, criticisms. Better mounting locations.

Looks good! I just ordered a couple t-shirts that look pretty good. Have to support the forum.

...With dog, now that's the coolest...:D

Its looking good. I'm curious as to if the CB will fit in the cubby. I took it all apart, measured it up and decided mine was too deep. The only way i could have done it was ditched the rear air. The rear air ducts run right under it. I wonder if you were to replace the air ducts with flexible tubing and if you could work it around the butt of the CB radio....

Its looking good. I'm curious as to if the CB will fit in the cubby. I took it all apart, measured it up and decided mine was too deep. The only way i could have done it was ditched the rear air. The rear air ducts run right under it. I wonder if you were to replace the air ducts with flexible tubing and if you could work it around the butt of the CB radio....

I hadn't really gone to far into looking into the set other then making sure the cubbies were wide enough. I've got another cubby unit in route to experiment with. I originally wanted to put it in the lower cubby, but will more then likely put it in the upper one. I'm thinking the CB won't be flush with the rest of the piece. I honestly hadn't even thought of about the AC in the back. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup: If I can get it to work in the upper opening all will be good. If not I'll come here to for help with those hurdles!

Tomorrow I'm getting a new serpentine belt, new spark plugs, synthetic oil, I should have the 70mm TB in sometime next week.

Also trying to sort out a strange noise up front. I'm new to the 4wd. It's sorta sounds like "romp, romp romp". I'm wondering if it could be the CV joints. If I'm down there changing those joints, should I just change the tie rods and ball joints all in one sitting?

My front end makes noise to when driving, sounds like the same "romp, romp, romp". I think it's normal (nature of the beast) . That's even after I had front end aligned at the Ford Dealer. It's been over 2 years now. To be safe you should still check it out.

I know you don't like the steps, but I would keep them on until you get sliders, or build them into sliders. If you plan to wheel this like I know you do, your rockers will thank you later...TRUST ME!

Tomorrow I'm getting a new serpentine belt, new spark plugs, synthetic oil, I should have the 70mm TB in sometime next week.

Also trying to sort out a strange noise up front. I'm new to the 4wd. It's sorta sounds like "romp, romp romp". I'm wondering if it could be the CV joints. If I'm down there changing those joints, should I just change the tie rods and ball joints all in one sitting?

You should definately get the front end in the air and check the hub assemblies, cv joints/boots, ball joints etc. as well as rotating your tires (could be one tire worn funny). I wouldn't just start throwing parts at it though, it could get expensive in a hurry.

My front end makes noise to when driving, sounds like the same "romp, romp, romp". I think it's normal (nature of the beast) . That's even after I had front end aligned at the Ford Dealer. It's been over 2 years now. To be safe you should still check it out.

I wasn't sure about that. I've never owned a 4x4, so it's all a learning experience for me.

I know you don't like the steps, but I would keep them on until you get sliders, or build them into sliders. If you plan to wheel this like I know you do, your rockers will thank you later...TRUST ME!

Thanks for the tip. Eventually I do plan on heading out to T-haven and tagging along on some of those big boy runs. But right now I don't think the Ex is any shape to hit any real dirt.

You should definately get the front end in the air and check the hub assemblies, cv joints/boots, ball joints etc. as well as rotating your tires (could be one tire worn funny). I wouldn't just start throwing parts at it though, it could get expensive in a hurry.

Thank you for the tip good sir. Tires are on the top of the list as well. The ones that came with the Ex look like they've seen better days. They don't look cracked or anything, but the tread is yellow if not red. Hopefully getting the BFG AT's soon.

Got my alignment done today, things feel quite a bit better. I was told I should look into replacing my passenger side wheel hub in the near future. I found a "How to" thread for this, doesn't seem like a excruciating job. Also found the Wheel Hub on RockAuto for $108.

Also got the synthetic oil in, and put an old K&N drop in filter. She seems to run that much smoother.

Jesus. Looking for replacement tires, specifically a set of BFG AT KO sized at 255/70R16, $716 without tax or mounting. I really need some tires, but funds are tight as hell. Anybody have a decent set of used ones laying around?

The new Explorer looks great!!!

For tires, I'd definitely watch Craigslist...up here in Oregon, there have been several sets of wheels/tires for RBV's for sale lately...

Do you have Costco stores down there? I know in their tire departments they sell the BFG A/T's...I seem to remember their prices being better than other places, but it has been a while!!

I just did both front hubs on my '97 not long ago...took part of an afternoon, but I also needed a complete brake job!

Good Luck!

The new Explorer looks great!!!
Thanks man! I'm working on it.

For tires, I'd definitely watch Craigslist...up here in Oregon, there have been several sets of wheels/tires for RBV's for sale lately...[/QUOTE]

I just did a quick search between my attempts at an essay. (More miserable then an Iraqi sandstorm) and didn't come up with to much. My Craig's list searching ability aren't great.

Do you have Costco stores down there? I know in their tire departments they sell the BFG A/T's...I seem to remember their prices being better than other places, but it has been a while!!
I'll have to check out the Costco in the area. Thanks for the tip, hope they've got the tires.

I just did both front hubs on my '97 not long ago...took part of an afternoon, but I also needed a complete brake job!

Good Luck!

Glad to know it's not to rough of a procedure. Right now I don't think it's an issue, but the tires are first on the list.

I also got my new center console cubbies, I'll start on figuring out how to mount the CB within the next couple days. Woot.

Haven't been on much, didn't see that you did buy another one. Looks like a nice truck.

Back