Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S fits. 265 50r2.

55r would probably have fit too, but it’s a weird AT size. There’s a Wildpeak Trail in that size but they were out of stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you wear out the Hankooks already?

Peter

Thanks Peter! I’ve actually read quite a few of your posts the last few weeks. :)

We got the car last month and there’s only 1400 miles on the Hankooks. They’re in my garage listed on CL in the SF Bay Area right now.

Wondering how wide I can go without creating any issues?

Wondering how wide I can go without creating any issues?
Your thread was merged with this one found with the 'Search' feature.

Peter

Hi everyone. New owner of 2017 XLT - drove lifted jeep before - now very impressed with mew X vehicle.
I would appreciate some feedback about wider tires some of you installed on this model. I have stock wheels and tires installed 255/55/20.

1. Was wondering how much wider tires I can install on stock rims without causing rubbing? will 275/55/20 or 285/55/20 fit and work ok ?

2. Option 2 - If I install Traxda 2.5 front/1.5 rear lift - will that will be any help to clear wider tires ?

I will greatly appreciate any imput

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one that may have some answers.
The stock tires on the 2017 XLT were 245/60R18. It seems the previous owner changed the size and that size is not recommended. The generally accepted maximum diameter variance compared to the OEM size is 3%. Those tires have a difference of 5%. 245/60 R18 vs 255/55 R20 Tire Size Comparison Table with Graphic Visualization Larger/heavier wheels/tires can negatively affect the electronic systems like Traction Control and ABS as well as changing the accuracy of the speedometer and odometer.

Peter

Your thread was merged with this one that may have some answers.
The stock tires on the 2017 XLT were 245/60R18. It seems the previous owner changed the size and that size is not recommended. The generally accepted maximum diameter variance compared to the OEM size is 3%. Those tires have a difference of 5%. 245/60 R18 vs 255/55 R20 Tire Size Comparison Table with Graphic Visualization Larger/heavier wheels/tires can negatively affect the electronic systems like Traction Control and ABS as well as changing the accuracy of the speedometer and odometer.

Peter
Stock tires on 2017 XLT were either 245/60/18 or 255/55/20 - depent from package . That is the dealer specifications- confirmed. I did not ask what is recommended and I do know general 3% rule..... I asked if wider tire 275/55/20 or 285/55/20 will fit on stock 20" rim and won't rub...
I modified many vehicles, lifted, installed bigger tires etc. and those cars ran for years without any problems,.. if I cared what is recommended - I still would be driving boring , plain , stock looking vehicle.

If anyone installed 275 or 285 wide tires on stock 20" .. and it worked - please chime in.

Thank you

The 255/55R20 tire only came out with the 2020 Explorer/Aviator. I just checked the 2017 Order guide and a 20" wheel was an option and that would have been a 255/50R20 tire. There are a few threads on changing to larger tires that you can find using the handy 'Search' feature.

Peter

The 255/55R20 tire only came out with the 2020 Explorer/Aviator. I just checked the 2017 Order guide and a 20" wheel was an option and that would have been a 255/50R20 tire. There are a few threads on changing to larger tires that you can find using the handy 'Search' feature.

Peter
So the question is has anyone ran a 55 series tire on a 20 inch rim on a 2018? I have 255/50/R20s now on my Sport.

Using the Forum's 'Search' feature along with a Google search I found this thread which seems to indicate some members have done it.
255/55R20's to replace 255/50R20's But also be aware that the change will result in a diameter variance of 3,3%. The generally accepted maximum diameter variance is 3%. It will affect your Traction Control and ABS along with the speedo reading. 255/50 R20 vs 255/55 R20 Tire Size Comparison Table with Graphic Visualization (inch difference)

Peter

Using the Forum's 'Search' feature along with a Google search I found this thread which seems to indicate some members have done it.
255/55R20's to replace 255/50R20's But also be aware that the change will result in a diameter variance of 3,3%. The generally accepted maximum diameter variance is 3%. It will affect your Traction Control and ABS along with the speedo reading. 255/50 R20 vs 255/55 R20 Tire Size Comparison Table with Graphic Visualization (inch difference)

Peter
A 3% tolerance is still considered "in spec". At 60mph x 3% = 1.8mph. Its usually >5% where 3+mph is considered out of tolerance, and may/will affect Traction Control and ABS and MPH.

Peter

Couldn't you just update the tire size in Forscan?

Couldn't you just update the tire size in Forscan?
Some model years, I forget which ones, actually allowed you to chose from preprogrammed sizes so that it would adjust the programming for the other features such as ABS and TC.

Peter

I have a 2013 Limited AWD. Can anyone tell me what's the biggest tire I can fit on the factory 20" wheel that does not cause any clearance issues? I'm looking at 285/50/20.

I have a 2013 Limited AWD. Can anyone tell me what's the biggest tire I can fit on the factory 20" wheel that does not cause any clearance issues? I'm looking at 285/50/20.
Welcome to the Forum Danny. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one.
The generally accepted nominal maximum diameter variance is 3%. The tire you mentioned is 3.9%. 255/50 R20 vs 285/50 R20 Tire Size Comparison Table with Graphic Visualization (inch difference)
There are some members who I believe have run this tire. There are several posts in this thread about that size. Also, see post #132 above. A wider tire will also likely have a slightly negative effect on MPG as it will have more rolling resistance. Good luck.

Peter

I searched and solicited input on this site before pulling the trigger and getting new tires for my XLT. My old tires were Michelin Latitude, M&S rated, 245/60/R18 and they served me well. They needed replacing so I asked here about upsizing, etc. I have PIU steelies.

At the local tire store their computer was extremely helpful, it showed that going to a taller and wider tire would be fine and would throw the speed off only by 1 MPH. I went with Goodyear Eagle 255/60/R18 and they fit fine with no rubbing, etc. They look great and their slight diameter increase seems to fill the wells nicely. They are also M&S rated. Very happy.

IMG_20210917_164043572_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210917_164536546_HDR.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 14 PIU I went from the stock 245/55R18 (28.6" tall) to 255/55R18 (29.0" tall). The 255/55R18 is a much more common size. The ECM gets the tire information from the BCM. In Forscan you can change the tire size in the BCM. There are pre-programmed tire sizes. My tire size was not there. It was either smaller or larger tires. I tried to enter my custom tire size but it did not work. I tried to change the tire circumference and it did not work either. So I used HP Tuners to change the ECM settings to their own calibration (instead of getting it from BCM) and used 2260 mm tire circumference for my tires. It took a few highway runs with Torque Pro to get it within 0.1-0.2 mph.

Back