Letter to the Editor -- '02 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Letter to the Editor -- '02 Explorer

DarkMan

Elite Idiot Stocker
Reaction score
City, State
DFW, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Taco TRD/OR
Thought I'd share my letter to FourWheeler Magazine.

Concerning the First Look, 2002 Ford Explorer, April 2001:

I don't remember the exact issue, but a while back you guys covered a gathering of OHV minded Ford Explorer owners called Serious Explorations. I wasn't there for that event, but I am a member of the club (www.explorer4x4.com). For those out there that think that the Explorer is just for soccer mom's, you should know that about half a dozen of our Ex's made the Golden Crack in Moab look like a Sunday drive to Grandma's house.

I hoped that Ford would take our group seriously after several of their engineers rode with our group in Truckhaven. Apparently they did not. The 2002 Explorer leaves me spittin' mad. We have worked hard to dispel the urban sissy image of the Explorer. Visit the club site and you'll see that these rigs really can perform. But now, Ford seems to have taken the road most traveled with the IRS '02. Independent rear suspension is bad, but running major suspension and drive components through holes in the frame is insane! Please tell me how in the h*ll do you lift a truck when the rear axle(s) run THROUGH the frame!! When I hear Subaru ads telling the world that their WAGONS have more ground clearance than the Explorer I want to cry!!

My '94, even with it's stock suspension, has left many a jeeper slack jawed here in the Colorado high country. ("How in the h*ll did he get THAT up here?") I'm proud of what it can do. But I am utterly ashamed of the '02. It's almost enough to make be go out and buy a J**p.

Trint Ladd (DarkMan)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, you could lift a '02 it would just need to go up 8"-9" to get past the portal in the frame. That would give you some room for some serious tires. With lengthed A-arms you might just be able to get some serious travel and make a decent perfomer out of it.

When Ford joined us on our trips they weren't looking for ideas for the new Explorer. That was already designed and there was no chance of changing it. They were looking to bring back the Bronco name plate and wanted to build a "Jeep Eater".

From what I understand that project has been all, but scraped in favor of bringing back the Land Rover D90. I think that is a poor decision, because the D90 will probably be twice as expensive as the Bronco leaving most of the real off-road enthusiasts out in the cold.

You have to face it. Explorer has become synonomous with soccor moms. That's why our site only has 5700 members after all the time it's been up. Ford sells 40,000 Explorers in a MONTH we don't even represent one months worth of production from the past 11 years, because only a fraction of the people who own the Explorer are interested in taking them off-road.

This will change in time though. The Explorer is a very capable rig, as we know, and as the used ones become cheaper more young people will pick them up and modify them. Then the magazines will start hopping on the bandwagon with more Explorer build ups etc.

I like the look of the D90 as well as the Defender, but I would never buy one! My sister and her husband have one and al I can say is bad decision. Land Rovers have been plagued with problems ranging from bad starters and alternators to electrical problems to blown head gaskets and oil leaks with the all aluminum engine. This is at least the case with their 4.0L and 4.6L. The reason it is relatively unheard of as far as for most people is the majority of owners who buy Land Rovers only kkep them for a few thousand miles and buy something else. In no way long enough to learn of the problems the vehicles have. I shock my head when my sister got her Land Rover and they have had quite of few problems since they made their purchase. Valve job to mention one, it was at the dealer for almost a month with issues being fixed.
The D90 is a nice looking truck, but I'd probably never buy a British vehicle. It's rather depressing to see the industry moving away from what a real truck use to be. Even the big and bold Dodge Ram will have independent front suspension for the next model. The Fords will be the only pickup with a solid front axle. Probably won't be long after that until they make the switch as well.

I have to agree with Rick though. You will see more and more X's as time passes, for the exact reason he stated. We are already seeing the development of a solid axle conversion for 95+ Explorers which is a really big step as well. The strength of the engine in Explorers will also further insure them being around for years to come.

Off topic, but only the 1500 Dodge will be IFS.

Originally posted by Rick
... From what I understand that project has been all, but scraped in favor of bringing back the Land Rover D90. I think that is a poor decision, because the D90 will probably be twice as expensive as the Bronco leaving most of the real off-road enthusiasts out in the cold ...

Not necessarely. It really depends on the strategy of Ford. As I may have mentioned in an earler post, the D90 with the Td5-engine costs between $20'000 and 24'000 in most countries in Europe (also in Europe, diesel engines are more expensive than gas). It's up to Ford if they want to keep Land Rover in the high price segment or have an absolute best-seller.

Regarding the quality issue; Jaguar also did not have the best reputation regarding reliability before the take-over of Ford, and they are good quality cars today. I'm sure Ford will have the same good influance on Land Rover. It's not that British workers can not produce good cars. Of all Nissans (or Hondas, I'm not 100% sure anymore) built worldwide, the ones built in the U.K. had the least quality issues.

Just my 0.2 centimes

NoBoundaries - Of course you like the D90 if you like the Defender. They're the same truck. The Defender is available with 3 wheelbase lengths. 90, 110, and 130. D90, D110, D130. I wonder if Ford will bring the D110 in though...

I swear I read somewhere that the Explorer Sport was going byebye, and the 2-door Explorer (on the same chassis as the 4-door, IRS and all) would be badged "Bronco". I need to find that article again... :smoke:

Just another reason I never plan on buying myself any of the new vechicles that are out there now.

Matt

Anybody read the article in the latest newsweek? I picked it up hoping to glean more info on the terrorist attacks, but instead I happened across a big article bashing the h*ll outta Jaques Nasser and Fords in general, saying that they're expected to lose 80% of their profit next year. 80%!!!!!!!!! It truly is a sad time for America, and apparently Ford too. :(

Yeah, those '02 splorers are pretty sad. But in my town nothing but moms drivee em. I was out with '98 explorer sport, 6" lift 33"'s. It was pretty damn capable, I was suprised(except for him breaking down on the way home.)

Back