Lifted, 33s, Fender Trimming (people who have those, have ?s for you) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifted, 33s, Fender Trimming (people who have those, have ?s for you)

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Ok I know the basics on fender trimming. However I want some real life experience, people who have lifts close to mine (4" rc lift) and 33s on 15x8 w/ 4" backspacing.

Has anyone been able to run the 33s on 15x8 w/ a 4" lift and not trim?

If you have had to trim how much have you trimmed?

I went from Stock Tires to Stock w/ 31s, had the 4" lift for a while now and just dont look right, got me a good deal on some 33s and then wagon rims im gonna throw on there.

Thanks in advance.

(i stayed away from the 15x10s cause of what I read about walking em off the rim when rockin and muddin)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What width? 10.5", 11.5", 12.5", etc....

The wider the tire, the more the outer edge of the tire will have a chance of rubbing the sheet metal. Also the wider the tire, the more the inside will rub on the inside at lock.

I run 33"x12.5"x10" wheels. I got into my wheels on objects with both 8" & 10". I like the 10" better after running the 8" w/3.75" BS. I have less side wobble, slop, and it handles a ton better , more stable feeling. I can run 12psi and crawl w/o it breaking a bead. Granted I take a higher risk of damaging the wheel, but one I am willing to take for the benefits.

8" will give you more sidewall protection with the wider tires only. Say your running a 10.5" tire on a 8"....you wont have as much sidewall meat as say a 12.5".

I trimmed about 1.5" off the back edge of the front fenders, nothing off the rears.

Ive got 33x12.5x15 on 15x8, not sure of backspacing totally till i get the rims (tomorrow) the guy said he is 99.9 percent sure its a 4" bs on the rim, i figured there would be no trimming on the rear but some if at all in the front

Do you still have the plastic rocker trim? Those will most likely need the ends removed or trimmed, even with a 4" lift. You just may get away with no trimming, but once your off road and articulation is maxed out, it will let you know how much to cut off :)

yeah i still have the tuperwear across the bottom lol, i planned on taking it off this year and straight bar it, remove the the piece on the bottom of the fenders?

I had to cut the corners off the back edge of the front fenders and leave one bolt there. There's a fender trimming post here somewhere that outlines it. To keep it looking good I put the plastic fender trim back on. Same basic setup though around about 4-5 inchs of lift with 33" tires 15x8 rims and I think 3.75 backspacing. I've had them down to 7 psi rock crawling and snow wheeling and never lost a bead.

Some idea what it looks like with the front fenders trimmed. I drew it out first and cut them with the wheel of death ( cut off wheel). Used a sawzall to get everything else as it was a bit more messy:

Attachments

• P1020058.JPG
    P1020058.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 1,590

give me a chance to put this new grinder to work, haha. so for basic in town driving 25mph and under would i have to trim? im looking at trimming it next weekend but will need it before then

I fit 33x12.5s on a 15x8 wheel with 4" BS and I'm running 2" of lift. No rubbing at all on the street. However, that necessitates trimming the inside fender liner as well. Not sure you'd have to do that with a 4" lift. I can PM you what I did and some pics of my trimming if you'd like.

To keep it looking good I put the plastic fender trim back on.

Same here. I removed them, trimmed them, and used a heat gun to soften up the edge so I could bend them into shape. I re-installed them using a self tapper right into the fender from the side. Looks stock, and you wouldn't know it unless you were looking for it.

8" wide steel wheels
100_3357.jpg

10" wide alum wheels
newwheelandfrontendworkprofile.jpg

Chris.. the more you wheel with that lift it will start to sag.. its sad but it happens. with my bumpers I might have ~3-3.5" of lift now and with 33s I rub when flexing. lower rear of the front fenders, rear inner wheel well, and rear lower quarter panel. even with the bottom of my rear quarters cut I am still getting some rubbing, I have the knicks and slices on my Coopers to prove it.

For street driving youll be fine.. hopefully youre doing more with your Explorer than just hitting the malls in Ohio.

We run 33x12.50's on 15x8's and IIRC its 3.75 BS (its the common one you find on 8" rims)...

The lift is about 4" (3.5" lift springs with 1/2" spacer under them)

You can see my fender trimming. I trimmed it using a sawzall in the parking lot of the tire shop when we first got 33's. I just cut diagnally down to trim behind the tire.
2274347101_49552626b2.jpg

The custom bumper means no issue with the bumper side so I can't say what would happen with the stock bumper..

When wheeling the rear tires will rub the inner fender of the rear wheel well during hard stuffage.. like this.
4312118169_2459532867.jpg

We run the f-250 shock mounts up front so the tire will travel up high enough to hit the airbox and the horizontal part at the top of the wheel well (in the wheel well, not the lip).. Its rubbing in this pic.
4312861860_5cbf692416.jpg

Also, it rubs on the radius arms at full lock. Its worse with my extended arms since they are mounted under the frame instead of inboard of the frame. Also, I have tons more caster which changes how the tires "lean" in the turn.

~Mark

EDIT: in the 1st pic. thats still using factory arms with drop brackets AND I put double washers in front of the RA bushing (front side) to help push the axle forward a bit.

That will be a nice weekend project, ive took it muddin already a few times with the 31x10.5, the rims i just went and got were 15x8 4" bs, ill trim everything this weekend after i get the rims painted up (ugly white).

Lol yeah do alot more then mall curisin, you know I go to walmart to, rofl :rolleyes:

ps Jack I textd ur butt the other day, you change your number?

I didn't have to trim anything with the TM 4" lift and 33x12.5 on 15x8 with 3.75 BS on my first Explorer.

With 4" BS, you have more of a chance to rub on the radius arms than the fenders.

1600explorerlift33.jpg

:rolleyes: ok i should probably make sure i measured right.. backspacing is from back of lug nut holes to tip top of rim.. right? thats where i measured.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back