Loud Rattling Noise Upon Cold Engine Start | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud Rattling Noise Upon Cold Engine Start

So far, no issues at all.

When it comes to ride quality and performance, it's certainly something special. Although it's much heavier than the ST, you feel the additional power the GT has. The vehicle feels planted, like on rails. That's where the additional weight may actually be a plus. Also, the acceleration is excellent yet different compared to other vehicles I owned. It is super-smooth and you think the vehicle has no gears at all. On the ST, you are pushed forward under a hard acceleration but on the GT, it feels like being pulled. My second vehicle is a BMW X7 M50i which - although quicker - feels different as well. The GT is simply a special vehicle. The shifting is also much smoother than on the Ford which was probably the biggest issue I had.
I fully agree on the smooth shifting and even the Reserve has lots of power. As I have mentioned before, I really don't notice the shifts at all.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He already has an Aviator. It is shown in his profile. That is why I asked him how he likes it. He also reported on it in the post above yours. ;)

Peter
Yeah I read all that...I was wondering if the dealer got back to him on the cause of the issue. The garage amplifies that a little, it is just as noisy outside. Have other issues too like bad wind noise around some of the windows and the road salt that sits inside the doors because the seal doesn't go to the bottom of the door. Great engineering. Have to run the hose inside the doors now too. I have to start a new post for that stuff.

Looks like some problems are showing up later in these vehicles.

Looks like some problems are showing up later in these vehicles.

Which is why i lease my cars these days lol. Don't need or want issues later down the road. And if there was a major problem, chances are it'll come early and that gets taken care of with warranty.

Which is why i lease my cars these days lol. Don't need or want issues later down the road. And if there was a major problem, chances are it'll come early and that gets taken care of with warranty.
That's just one reason I have leased my last 8 vehicles. :)

Peter

Update, the dealer couldn't replicate the sound so I have to bring it back when the starts again more consistently.

Update, the dealer couldn't replicate the sound so I have to bring it back when the starts again more consistently.

Try to make a video outside your garage.

I watched your video again. That sounds like normal cold start DI (direct injection) noise.

Some cars can hide the noise better than others. I had a loaner cruze one time and the noise was just like that, maybe even louder. Especially when going through drive-thru's etc.

I watched your video again. That sounds like normal cold start DI (direct injection) noise.

Some cars can hide the noise better than others. I had a loaner cruze one time and the noise was just like that, maybe even louder. Especially when going through drive-thru's etc.
My cold start rattle/flutter noise in Park is accompanied by strong exhaust odor by the driver's door and inside the cabin. Once it warms up and you put in Drive the noise and smell go away. Both the noise and smell have gradually gotten worse at 13,700 miles.

My cold start rattle/flutter noise in Park is accompanied by strong exhaust odor by the driver's door and inside the cabin. Once it warms up and you put in Drive the noise and smell go away. Both the noise and smell have gradually gotten worse at 13,700 miles.

That sounds like a loose connection in the exhaust somewhere where the fumes are making it's way into the cabin.

But over my years with many different cars i noticed people confuse bad engine sounds in relation to: Normal DI noise, header noise (meaning aftermarket headers which amplifies valvetrain noise), exhaust leaks, or normal lifter noise in OHV engines.

Sometimes it is normal. Sometimes it is not.

It sounds like a diesel which it shouldn't. Just as loud outside. You can here it quiet down to a normal sound at the end if the video. Like I said, the tech couldn't replicate it twice after leaving it at the dealer ( I was there for one of them) so it was starting normal then. The next day I started it and it rattled again, not as long though.

Some DI engines do sound like diesels at cold start up though. Not saying it's normal. Maybe yours isn't. Maybe it is.

Sometimes the more you read about issues, the more you're looking for them. Which usually means you're finding ghosts as i call it. Something that's not there.

My XLT is loud at start up. I wouldn't say it has a diesel sound but more of a clickity clack type of noise lol.

It's normal DI noise. I'll try to get video this weekend for comparison.

Some DI engines do sound like diesels at cold start up though. Not saying it's normal. Maybe yours isn't. Maybe it is.

Sometimes the more you read about issues, the more you're looking for them. Which usually means you're finding ghosts as i call it. Something that's not there.

My XLT is loud at start up. I wouldn't say it has a diesel sound but more of a clickity clack type of noise lol.

It's normal DI noise. I'll try to get video this weekend for comparison.
Thing is when we started the 21, it didn't do that. They also haven't heard one that loud....but again it was on video

Hi, our 2020 Explorer ST is currently in the shop due to a loud rattling noise when the cold engine is started. This did not occur when the vehicle was new but I was just notified by the dealership that this would be 'normal'. Does your vehicle make this sound, too?

Rattling Sound

Thanks in advance!
My 2020 explorer ST has been doing the same thing for a few weeks now, around 6500 miles I’m guessing when it started. Was anything resolved with anyone else’s that was experience oh this?

My 2020 explorer ST has been doing the same thing for a few weeks now, around 6500 miles I’m guessing when it started. Was anything resolved with anyone else’s that was experience oh this?
My flex pipe which was on back order 3 weeks ago came in last week. When I take it in for installation I'll report back here as to whether it fixed the rattle problem...

Camshaft actuators or phaser....

Camshaft actuators or phaser....
My Ford tech actually saw the flex pipe vibrating severely when on the lift and that part was ordered. Mine was the driver's side only with the rattling.

My brother's F-150 just received a recall notice for a cam phasor rattle noise. Requires PCM update. Obviously different vehicles, but similar engines. I wonder if there is any relation to this issue.

My brother's F-150 just received a recall notice for a cam phasor rattle noise. Requires PCM update. Obviously different vehicles, but similar engines. I wonder if there is any relation to this issue.

Interesting, maybe they will eventually include the affected batch of Explorers as well.

My flex pipe which was on back order 3 weeks ago came in last week. When I take it in for installation I'll report back here as to whether it fixed the rattle problem...
Any updates? My ST has been doing this for a year and at 22K mi is getting worse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, our 2020 Explorer ST is currently in the shop due to a loud rattling noise when the cold engine is started. This did not occur when the vehicle was new but I was just notified by the dealership that this would be 'normal'. Does your vehicle make this sound, too?

Rattling Sound

Thanks in advance!
Did anyone find out what is causing this?
Just got this vehicle with 26000 miles on it. When the weather is colder on cold start I get this rattle. Like something isn't getting oil. Any ideas?

So I am headed to the dealer again next week. They couldn't replicate it last time so I took it back home. From the stuff I researched, it sounds like it could be the the cam phasors or timing chain stretch. Anybody have any new information on this issue?

Back