Lowering an inch

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
I want to lower the Explorer around an inch. Maybe a little more in the front. Nothing serious, I don't want to kill the ride, and constantly bottom out. The front is easy, I can handle the torsion bars.

My question is, to lower the rear about an inch. I still have my monoleafs, which have the little spacers in them. I could take two of the spacers(maybe even one). That'd give me about what I want. The bolt that holds the pack together, do I have to get a longer one? If so, what type of bolt? Special grade?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fenderguy said:
No experience with monoleafs and their spacers, but you could just get a 1" block.

Do they make those?

My plan was to remove the spacers from the monoleafs(they use those to place the shock in the right place) and use one or two per side. They're about a half inch thick each. And using just one in the rear would probably put me where I want to be at.

Sounds like it would work. You can get blocks almost any size you want. I don't know if Pep Boys is out in PA but they have them. I would think any auto parts place would have them... they do arond here anyway.

They'll work for you. You'll have to get new center pins for the leaf springs thats about it. Pretty straight forward and easy to do.

Doug said:
They'll work for you. You'll have to get new center pins for the leaf springs thats about it. Pretty straight forward and easy to do.

Thats what I figured, what type of pin do I need then. Obviously it will be an inch or so longer than the origional, but what type?

99% sure it's just a 3/8" bolt. Just take the old one with you when you goto get a new ones.

No need for blocks or new center pins, just move the spacer plates until you have the desired height.

Hartman said:
No need for blocks or new center pins, just move the spacer plates until you have the desired height.

No, no, no, I'm taking the spacers I have on my monoleafs(from my old Sport) removing a few of the spacers from it, and placing them on the leaf pack on my 4-door. So yes, I will need new center pins, and moving the spacers ain't gonna do a thing when they aren't on the truck.

Back